Author Topic: ECCC - April 7-10, 2016  (Read 28713 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: ECCC - April 7-10, 2016
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Someone mentioned that mostly everything got sold out during the preview night and one of their sales reps mentioned that a lot got sold out online to the point where they didn't even bring any to the con (like the deadpool box).

There is no preview night at ECCC. They might have meant Thursday (which was only a half day, and pretty low key... it actually kind of felt like Preview Night at SDCC, just longer) or the fact that VIPs are let onto the show floor early, and might have bought stuff out on Friday morning. But the reps at Funko did say they had some product allocated for each day.

[member=1230]CptMyCpt24[/member] Cpt, yes, ECCC has been held in early March in the past. It was March 1-3 in 2013 and March 4-6 in 2011.

[member=1]alyssa[/member]  I am sorry, I did not see your request until after the relevant time was over. Additionally, I don't think it would have worked, as the wifi in the two convention centers was terrible and often cut in and out. It would not have been able to support a live video. I tried using my mobile hotspot, but that was also cutting in and out all weekend, because cell service was spotty.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »
Interesting story on Reddit... apparently even the VIPs were shut out because of dealers in the line. Ugh. Same story, new con...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 01:26:02 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »
Interesting story on Reddit... apparently even the VIPs were shut out because of dealers in the line. Ugh. Same story, new con...

Funko has a serious problem and they really don't truly care. They will only care if people stop condoning it by continuing to open their wallets and fight for a spot in line. I myself washed my hands of them the last two years. I ended up getting what I wanted at TRU and Hot Topic with the generic "convention exclusive" stickers and no problems.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2016, 09:12:45 PM »
March 2-5th next year will be interesting. Almost a month earlier. Has it varied that much in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, in 2013 it was March 1-3 but usually it's near the end of March. Sometimes it's been earlier or later, but since it moved to the Convention Center in 2008 it has almost always been in March.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:20:26 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »
My thoughts this year:

Overall, a below average, but still fun, year. However, as far as ReedPop's involvement goes...I'd consider this a moderate fail.

There were a couple things that were better. I liked the new format of the program books. They were like real program books this year...previous years, they were about the size of comic books (maybe that was what they were going for) but not that easy to read. Also, organization, which was already one of ECCC's strong points, was *slightly* better. Panels had 15 minutes in between them rather than running continuously, so this allowed a full hour for each panel. Also, while rooms weren't cleared between panels, people still lined up for the next panel (rather than go into the previous panel that they weren't interested in.) I actually appreciated this, as they didn't take up space in a panel they weren't interested in. And most people left every panel room when the panel was done. There was very little camping out, even in the main room. This was refreshing.

Logos, branding, etc was more slick but not necessarly more aesthetic or better looking than before. Also, the website was downright ugly and confusing.

Exclusives...not better than last year. While I had been excited about the additional Funko exclusives, NONE of them were accessible to regular attendees, PERIOD, so they get ZERO credit for that. The first two days, they were all taken up by exhibitors that had swapped out badges and had gotten in line before everyone else was let in. This sounds familar. To Funko's credit, they actually cracked down on this Saturday and specifically went to the VIP line in the morning to lead them to the booth. Funko deserves major credit for this. However, the VIPs filled up the line before any of the regular attendees were let in on Saturday and Sunday. Funko's decision to produce only enough to allow the first 50 or so people in line each day buy up all the exclusives for the day was a fail, whether the first 50 people were vendors, VIPs, or even regular attendees. So no points for Funko exclusives. Aside from that...I'll give Toy Life credit for bring in the Ron English Sakura Mouse Fighter Pilot and Seahawks Colored Popsicle exclusives in. These were a little overpriced, but cool looking and accessible. As far as ECCC merch goes...as milquetoast always. Last year's was better -- they had the Lego Crusader set and Tentacle Kitty. This year, they only had a ridiculously low run Funko Dorbz set in additional to the usual clothing. Also, they added tax to all the prices this year. Previous years it had been included.

Comic, author, and local talent panels...great as always. I liked what ECCC has done with these and this year was no exception. Keith Tucker was great, Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men was great, and there was also a very entertaining panel on Windows 95 (yes, really.)

Celebrity guests...this was a major fail. This should have been where ReedPop came through, but it seemed like the results were the exact opposite. The guest list was anemic to begin with, and on top of that, both of the Supergirl guests (who were probably the biggest draw this year) cancelled. I realize that it's not ECCC's fault (or the guests, for that matter, since other obligations come up) but if the guestlist sucks to begin with, and then the two most popular guests cancel, then it's going to suck even more. Whereas if there are a gazillion awesome guests to begin with (like last year) and two cancel it's not a big deal. Also, there were ZERO legendary comic guests this year (these would be like Stan Lee, William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, Adam West, etc.) None. The closest was probably Sean Astin. Fortunately he didn't cancel. Anyway, I'm completely puzzled why this was the case especially with ReedPop's involvement.

As excited as I was for them adding a fourth day this year...it just plain didn't need to happen. There weren't enough extra guests or panels to justify the fourth day, most of the vendors I talked to said that it didn't help sales that much, and all of them looked more tired than usual on Sunday.

I'm really hoping that this was just a transition year for ReedPop's takeover and that they'll do better next year. ECCC had a good thing going on, but not only did ReedPop not take it to the next level, what happened this year was the exact opposite of what should have happened considering the sellout. There were a couple bright spots, like the program guide (which ReedPop gets credit for) and the small local panels (which ReedPop doesn't) and then the exclusives, which was a nice attempt, which is why this year was only a moderate fail and not a complete fail. But I really, really hope that the promises they made at ReedPop's acquisition (access to resources that they didn't have access to before) materializes. Because we sure didn't see it this year.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:12:23 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:09 AM »
I agree that the number of celebrity guests this year was down, and they were much more uninteresting. it seemed like last year I spent most of my time in the main hall, but this year it was just one panel on Saturday and one on Sunday. I had originally planned to sit in the main hall most of Saturday, but when Supergirl was cancelled that took the wind out of my sails and I went elsewhere instead.

This being said, I attended a lot of smaller panels this year, including author panels and comedy shows, and still had a terrific time. I think it is the mark of a good con that you can attend the smaller panels and still have a lot of variety to choose from and enjoy a quality experience.

Yeah, I don't like the website redesign either, particularly the loss of the 'News' section. I find that I rarely go to the website anymore, and just read the Tumblr page.

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2016, 08:32:23 AM »
There more guests we wanted to see/meet this year as opposed to last. We did walk the floor a lot more and visit more artists. Didn't attend any meet ups like last year and totally missed the 501st in the other building.

Tumblr and Twitter was main news/info center till the notifications from the app started working consistently. WiFi and cellular service at the convention center was mediocre at best with a few times nothing would send or receive even though service was available.

Thought cosplay was great but not over the top like last year. Saturday was definitely better than Friday and a good amount on Sunday even after the con was over.

Ups and downs we'll be back next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »
Funko has a serious problem and they really don't truly care. They will only care if people stop condoning it by continuing to open their wallets and fight for a spot in line. I myself washed my hands of them the last two years. I ended up getting what I wanted at TRU and Hot Topic with the generic "convention exclusive" stickers and no problems.

The Funko lines were crazy! I don't collect that stuff, but a friend does, so I tried to pick up one for him. I went to the booth right at opening on Thursday, and there were over 100 people there with the line capped off. This was at 2:05! I'm guessing that most of those people in line were exhibitors with two badges, just like at SDCC. I went back Friday at opening and it was the same thing. I gave up after that.

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Yes, in 2013 it was March 1-3 but usually it's near the end of March. Sometimes it's been earlier or later, but since it moved to the Convention Center in 2008 it has almost always been in March.
What could we expect for weather difference? Last 2 years I think it's been perfect but what's normal for that time of year?
SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
What could we expect for weather difference? Last 2 years I think it's been perfect but what's normal for that time of year?

Most likely it will be low-to-mid 50s in the day and mid 40s at night. Intermittent chilly rain showers will be much more likely.

This year was somewhat of an anomaly...It was warmer than usual, even for April. It was indeed perfect. Monday and Tuesday it cooled down a lot and started raining today.

Offline MyNameIsRinoa

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
My thoughts this year:

Overall, a below average, but still fun, year. However, as far as ReedPop's involvement goes...I'd consider this a moderate fail.

There were a couple things that were better. I liked the new format of the program books. They were like real program books this year...previous years, they were about the size of comic books (maybe that was what they were going for) but not that easy to read. Also, organization, which was already one of ECCC's strong points, was *slightly* better. Panels had 15 minutes in between them rather than running continuously, so this allowed a full hour for each panel. Also, while rooms weren't cleared between panels, people still lined up for the next panel (rather than go into the previous panel that they weren't interested in.) I actually appreciated this, as they didn't take up space in a panel they weren't interested in. And most people left every panel room when the panel was done. There was very little camping out, even in the main room. This was refreshing.

I found this not to be true. I was in line for one of the panels but the people from the previous panel did not leave at all, making me think they only wanted the panel I was interested in. There were a couple hundred people lined up and none could get in. So everyone just stood in line thinking the panel hasn't started when, in fact, the door remained closed to a room full of people hogging spots for hours. Would've been nice to at least know that so that we didn't stand in line pointlessly.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
Celebrity guests...this was a major fail. This should have been where ReedPop came through, but it seemed like the results were the exact opposite. The guest list was anemic to begin with, and on top of that, both of the Supergirl guests (who were probably the biggest draw this year) cancelled. I realize that it's not ECCC's fault (or the guests, for that matter, since other obligations come up) but if the guestlist sucks to begin with, and then the two most popular guests cancel, then it's going to suck even more. Whereas if there are a gazillion awesome guests to begin with (like last year) and two cancel it's not a big deal. Also, there were ZERO legendary comic guests this year (these would be like Stan Lee, William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, Adam West, etc.) None. The closest was probably Sean Astin. Fortunately he didn't cancel. Anyway, I'm completely puzzled why this was the case especially with ReedPop's involvement.

I was really disappointed that both Supergirl guests cancelled at the last minute: first Benoist and then Leigh a day later. I'd venture to guess that they officially cancelled several weeks prior, but Reedpop didn't announce it until the last minute to maximize ticket sales; this was the first time in a few years that the show didn't sell out for all days until the last week. Anyway, Wizard World always pulls this same stunt with the guest cancellations, so I stopped attending their shows. At least Reedpop refunded the full amount with their 10% tax.

Whenever a show is poor, cosplay is always my saving grace. Here's a link to my cosplay page that contains a video I made for ECCC 2016:

Below that are a great many still cosplay images from the show.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
I was really disappointed that both Supergirl guests cancelled at the last minute: first Benoist and then Leigh a day later. I'd venture to guess that they officially cancelled several weeks prior, but Reedpop didn't announce it until the last minute to maximize ticket sales; this was the first time in a few years that the show didn't sell out for all days until the last week. Anyway, Wizard World always pulls this same stunt with the guest cancellations, so I stopped attending their shows. At least Reedpop refunded the full amount with their 10% tax.

Whenever a show is poor, cosplay is always my saving grace. Here's a link to my cosplay page that contains a video I made for ECCC 2016:

Below that are a great many still cosplay images from the show.

I actually don’t think that was the case...the only day that didn’t sell out until the week of was Thursday, and they said long ago that Thursday would not have celebrities. (Also, this was the first year the show was 4 days.) The day that took the next longest to sell out was Friday, which was in mid-February.

Glad to hear that they were more accommodating with refunds.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:22:21 PM by hikanteki »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »

#Transformers fans! Did you check out this Devastator shirt from #ECCC? It'll be gone soon: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Truly... Devastating 8)