Author Topic: Movie and TV Spoiler/No Spoiler Thread  (Read 23417 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Movie and TV Spoiler/No Spoiler Thread
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »
When creating a new thread in this area for new movies and TV, please put "***Spoilers***" or "***No Spoilers*** in the thread subject line so folks can decide whether they want to proceed.

Thanks!

Offline Yzrfan

• Exhibit Hall
  • Who would buy two Wonder Kales?
  • Liked: 28
Re: Movie and TV Spoiler/No Spoiler Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
So would I need to warn spoilers if I were to say Steve Rogers isn't Captain America  after Civil War? The story arc has been out for maybe a day or two, the new Lego Avengers game has Sam Wilson as Cap, and last year Lego gave out the Sam Wilson Cap as a mini fig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic Before the dark times before the Empire" - Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:49:46 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »
Also, if a movie isn't released yet, 'spoilers' are hard to determine. Often the so-called 'spoilers' before a film is released are just rumors. In most cases, spoilers aren't relevant until the film's release (such as in the Suicide Squad thread).

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 10:53:25 AM »
But on occasion, threads will be created prior to the release of a movie so that folks who've had the opportunity to see it early can have a place to discuss OR in prep for a big release

Not to beat a dead horse.....
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
Just saw the movie "Disaster Artist".  The movie is based on the film by Tommy Wiseau's "The Room".  I usually don't get into cult films so everything was completely new to me.  Starring James Franco and Dave Franco and featuring Seth Rogan, this film describes how "The Room" came into being by struggling actors Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero.

At first I'd thought, what am I watching?  But the more I watch the film (in a theater as it was street cleaning day in my neighborhood so I tend the spend the morning watching a feature) the more it grew on me.  James Franco outdid himself playing the strange but hypnotic Tommy Wiseau.  The Wiseau character reminds me of people I'd met in collage from 68-73.  Totally out there, but actually sincere in their vision and goals. 

If you should decide to try watching this movie, please do stay for the ending credits. 

*spoilers*
As bizarre as the parts of the movie where the crew is filming "The Room", you learn that the scenes are faithful re-enactments of the actual "The Room" film with side by side views of the original and the recreated scenes.

I ended up looking up the back story of Tommy Wiseau after I got home.  Wow!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just saw the movie "Disaster Artist".  The movie is based on the film by Tommy Wiseau's "The Room".  I usually don't get into cult films so everything was completely new to me.  Starring James Franco and Dave Franco and featuring Seth Rogan, this film describes how "The Room" came into being by struggling actors Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero.

At first I'd thought, what am I watching?  But the more I watch the film (in a theater as it was street cleaning day in my neighborhood so I tend the spend the morning watching a feature) the more it grew on me.  James Franco outdid himself playing the strange but hypnotic Tommy Wiseau.  The Wiseau character reminds me of people I'd met in collage from 68-73.  Totally out there, but actually sincere in their vision and goals. 

If you should decide to try watching this movie, please do stay for the ending credits. 

*spoilers*
As bizarre as the parts of the movie where the crew is filming "The Room", you learn that the scenes are faithful re-enactments of the actual "The Room" film with side by side views of the original and the recreated scenes.

I ended up looking up the back story of Tommy Wiseau after I got home.  Wow!
I think the beauty of DISASTER ARTIST is that it works on its own as a comedy about bad filmmaking (like elements of BOWFINGER): about how it takes a village to make a film (and one inept director to ruin one): or even as a character study of passionate, potentially misguided artists. 
Seeing/knowing THE ROOM, THE DISASTER ARTIST is even more fascinating, knowing creative decisions behind some of the most bizarre scenes committed to film (like seriously: who the eff has ever thrown a football in such a way as depicted in THE ROOM?!?!).
The book the movie is based on is a very fascinating read and I highly recommend it.  It goes into more depth than the film, of course, with both the co-star’s perspective and a prominent film critic/historian adding broader commentary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
I think the beauty of DISASTER ARTIST is that it works on its own as a comedy about bad filmmaking (like elements of BOWFINGER): about how it takes a village to make a film (and one inept director to ruin one): or even as a character study of passionate, potentially misguided artists. 
Seeing/knowing THE ROOM, THE DISASTER ARTIST is even more fascinating, knowing creative decisions behind some of the most bizarre scenes committed to film (like seriously: who the eff has ever thrown a football in such a way as depicted in THE ROOM?!?!).
The book the movie is based on is a very fascinating read and I highly recommend it.  It goes into more depth than the film, of course, with both the co-star’s perspective and a prominent film critic/historian adding broader commentary.

These days I can tell which of my friends has seen the movie by the ones that go "Oh hi Mark!"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
These days I can tell which of my friends has seen the movie by the ones that go "Oh hi Mark!"
Ha; I was wondering if that is amusing or by now slightly annoying for you :P

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
Ha; I was wondering if that is amusing or by now slightly annoying for you
It's never annoying for me, but then I reply back with "ha ha. Anyway, how's your sex life?"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
It's never annoying for me, but then I reply back with "ha ha. Anyway, how's your sex life?"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

YES!! 
You are living life the right way, my friend  8) :P

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
We can all wear tuxedos in San Diego and walk around making horrible football throws!

As for names, my wife is named Electra so I never get to complain about anything about my name, ever. There was a rough stretch in elementary school however, when I wouldn't be paying attention and the teacher would be discussing punctuation and say something like "question mark" and I would jump and say "Yes?" 

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
Last night a saw Isle of Dogs. Well animated and the voice acting is superb. Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, and Jeff Goldblum just to name a few. It's a bit quirky and has an odd sense of humor. If you're a dog-person (which I am), you'll enjoy this movie (which I did).
4.5 stars out of 5
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 07:24:42 AM »
Last night a saw Isle of Dogs. Well animated and the voice acting is superb. Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, and Jeff Goldblum just to name a few. It's a bit quirky and has an odd sense of humor. If you're a dog-person (which I am), you'll enjoy this movie (which I did).
4.5 stars out of 5

I've been meaning to see this flim, but time is not on my side.  So busy with hotelpocsolypse and tax season.  Good to read that it was a good film.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »
This is something that I never would’ve done without moviepass, and that’s watch 2 movies in 2 consecutive days. I could express further my opinion of Moviepass, but I think that’s a topic for another day.

Just watched Pacific Rim Uprising. ****Some what SPOILERS****
Huge fan of the first one. Guillermo Del Toro is one of my favorite filmmakers. So it pained me to know when GDT only served as producer, dedicating his time to shoot The Shape of Water. The movie tried so hard to meet the expectations of its predecessor, but falls short. The movie almost feels like it could have been a straight-to-DVD film. The scale of this sequel is nowhere near as expansive as the first one. It has a lot of great narrative devices that just don’t pay off in the end. If you have Moviepass and time to spare then watch this. If you don’t, wait for this to hit DVD or just don’t watch it at all.
2 stars out of 5
-Homer Simpson

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »
I started and finished Aggretsuko on Netflix. If you love Sanrio and have/had a s**tty job, this show is for you. Although it's a cute anime based on Sanrio's character of Aggretsuko, I don't think kids will enjoy it as much since it tackles a lot of adult themes, not much sexual or unwholesome, but really more so what the average adult experiences: friendship, gossip, drama, love life, etc. It's quite relatable. Plus, each episode features the main character, Retsuko singing death metal/venting her frustrations of daily life. The humor is good and the animation is flawless. 10 episodes spanning about 15 minutes each, my wife and I finished this in 2 days. I can't wait for season 2. Highly recommended.
4 stars out of 5.
-Homer Simpson