Author Topic: The business of comics  (Read 25729 times)

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
Re: The business of comics
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
it sucks, but alot of old contracts said pay for work. they signed it all over. i can tell he probably did that contract, as he did  g.i.joe. hell the guy who almost invented the whole franchise in gijoe a  american hero issue #21 (a silent issue, and made gijoe cool.) only got pay. plus toys of his characters he invented. he was credited and contracted for consultation during the gijoe films.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
Boom! ;)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

20th Century Fox Film has acquired a "significant minority stake" in BOOM! Studios in a deal that co-founder Ross Ritchie says will "fuel BOOM!’s generation of more original content like Lumberjanes, Mouse Guard, and Grass Kings."

"Fox has been an incredibly supportive partner and our creative alliance has been tremendously successful - high-level directors, big screenwriters, and marquee talent have found BOOM! an attractive platform," says Richie, BOOM!'s CEO. "Now BOOM! can greenlight more new series from comic book creators, deepen its distribution relationships, and widen its marketing reach. Great news for our creators, retail partners, and fans. Fox is committed to BOOM!’s creators through this deal and it means BOOM! will have better support and resources to publish world-class content."

In 2013, BOOM! signed a 'first-look' movie deal with Fox for comic book projects it has ownership of, later announcing deals for The Empty Man, Irredeemable, Malignant Man, Imagine Agents, Mouse Guard, and Lumberjanes. In 2014, Fox and BOOM! became closer with the signing of a similiar 'first look' deal for television.

“Our industry’s soul is its storytelling and artistry, and as we continue to foster an environment at Fox that serves as a home for the world’s best storytellers, this investment in BOOM! allows us to work even more closely with their incredible stable of writers and artists,” says 20th Century Fox Film CEO/Chairman Stacey Snider. “We look forward to the projects we have with them ahead, and are proud to have an opportunity to further energize their storytelling through this partnership.”

Fox had an ownership stake in another comic book publisher before - in 2006 it partnered with Harper-Collins for Fox Atomic Comics, an imprint which published adaptations and spin-off comic books based on various Fox films. That publisher closed in 2009.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:37:23 PM »

Offline Vantlin

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 12:35:16 AM »
Anyone here know where I could buy and sell comics for a profitable income. This is an interesting business but I'm not that confidence over its profitability.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 12:15:30 PM »
Boom! ;)

AzT - Do you think Fox's stake will change BOOM!'s business practices regarding pencilers, inkers, colorists, writers, etc.?
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about Devil's Due Publishing in regards to their business practices?  DDP isn't listed on the Fair Rates Page.

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 02:59:39 PM »
Anyone here know where I could buy and sell comics for a profitable income. This is an interesting business but I'm not that confidence over its profitability.

if you want to test the waters and can draw, there is a way to do so with little time or money investment.

if you post a comic there and it gets popular, they may pay you to do so. often people who post v ery simple doodles with a halfway decent storyline do well. but they post about 21 pages of comicbook content a week.
often even decent storylines go bad for a month or two on even the best titles. like this one:

the top line pay is confirmed to be $9700.00 a week in american money. this was leaked information about this title: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

black haze ran into some sort of event that got this infomation leaked, and/or booted from webtoon.

often to keep pace, a artist gets a writer involved and they split the money. the artists seem to be very productive and have 50 episodes ready to go. after 4-20 a comic gets popular, and after issue 25 or so a writer begins new content to be drawn before old content runs out. oddly i give the various series a 50/50 chance of being better in writing despite a professional writer taking over the writing.

remember to not make a huge, invested, colored, backrounds filled out, affair. any art may wind up just being free, and even if eventualyy chosen to be paid, one must keep up a one comic  a week pace. although the panels are designed to fit on a phone (mostly) the panels add up to a 16-21 page comic.

also reports of merchandise making the most popular webtoons add $100,000.00 plus to their net each month is also not uncommon.

i did see a banner at nycc, but it was so far up you had to crane your neck all the way up. webtoons seems to be owned by fidelity investments. a american stock trading company and working out of south korea.

hope this information helps.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »

Helping Comics Retailers With Issues is a new charity that helps comic book retailers remain in business through hard times. The charity's founding as Issues Inc. was announced by the board of directors, a coalition of comic book retailers comprised of Executive Director Dennis Barger, Jr., Treasurer Jen King, and Secretary Christina Blanch.

"HCR Issues was formed due to seeing what is happening in this volatile industry and natural disasters like the one facing the gulf coast of Texas right now," read a statement from the charity. "The founding members have witnessed multiple stores, large and small, go out of business over the last year. Comic Shops are vital to growth of this industry and are important in the communities where they exist. As Dennis Barger, Jr. points out, 'the elimination of 1000 comic shops in the industry is also the elimination of about 3000 employees and this industry's biggest fans.'"

HCR Issues will accept both monetary donations and auction items to raise proceeds to benefit retailers in need. Retailers can request aid with a special form available through Diamond Comic Distributors.

Donations can be made by contacting this address:

Helping Comic Retailers with Issues
27326 Robinson Road #117
Conroe, TX 77385

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 06:43:20 PM »

Articles like this make me nervous for the future of comics. 

I think that retailers need to jump off the variant bandwagon soon if they want to avoid a repeat of the 90's.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
San Diego's Comics-N-Stuff featured in the 3x3:

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »
Comics-N-Stuff is so outrageously priced. This dude is like the guy at Mile High. He doesn't care if he sells it and is somehow proud of having a lot of product instead of selling a lot of product. Their stores are basically their collections.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
San Diego's Comics-N-Stuff featured in the 3x3:

Yup, he also has a couple of booths at SDCC.   One is close to the entrance of hall B2 or something.  The last couple of years it has been trades instead of comics.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
Yup, he also has a couple of booths at SDCC.   One is close to the entrance of hall B2 or something.  The last couple of years it has been trades instead of comics.

Nice to see that someone is being so successful on the LGS front.  A1 Comics in Sac is easily my favorite store and my saver is there.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »

Syndicated Comics LLC, a newly formed sister company to comics and graphic novel publisher Lion Forge LLC, has acquired Heidi MacDonald’s long running comic news blog The Beat ("The News Blog of Comics Culture"), the companies announced today.  Lion Forge and Syndicated Comics have formed a strategic partnership "to support The Beat and its editor-in-chief, Heidi MacDonald."

Lion Forge Founder/Publisher David Steward II, cited as the new publisher of the Beat, lauded MacDonald’s site and explained his goals for the acquisition.  "My personal mission is to see readers all of ages, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identification reflected in the comics media," he said.  "Heidi MacDonald and The Beat have been THE authoritative voice of our industry, presenting insider knowledge in a format that is welcoming to a broad audience.   ...This partnership furthers my personal desire to see the industry grow and continue to reach new readers."

MacDonald started The Beat as a blog on Rick Veitch and Steve Conley’s Comicon.com in 2004 and subsequently spent time associated with Publishers Weekly, Hiveworks, and running the site on her own.  In a post on her site, MacDonald described the acquisition as "a plan to keep doing what the Beat does, only better"

In a statement released with the announcement, MacDonald expanded on those thoughts.  "The comics medium is more vital, diverse, and groundbreaking than ever, and with the resources we now have, we’ll be able to bring these developments to an ever-wider audience," she said.  "I’m grateful to David Steward and the whole Lion Forge team for their vision in forging this partnership and incredibly excited about what the future holds.” 

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »

Today IDW Publishing is pleased to announce the promotion of Greg Goldstein to Publisher effective immediately, as well as other staff changes.

“As company President, Greg has proven to be an invaluable asset to IDW and continues to put his heart and savvy into a company that is near and dear to me,” said Ted Adams, CEO of IDW Media Holdings. “His passion coupled with his intimate knowledge of the business will serve him well as head of publishing.”

Adams, who co-founded IDW Publishing, will continue as CEO of the parent company of IDW Media Holdings, which in addition to IDW Publishing, also includes IDW Entertainment and CTM Media Group as its subsidiaries. In addition to his continued management of IDW Media Holdings, he will be pursuing new business opportunities across the three divisions.

IDW will also see other shifts take place within its editorial staff. Chief Creative Officer Chris Ryall will once again assume the role Editor-in-Chief, too, working directly with the editorial department in continuing to advance the strategic and tactical abilities of the group. Additionally, David Hedgecock will take on the newly created role of Associate Publisher, further developing the company’s strategic goals by synergizing processes throughout the entire publishing division.

“I could not be more honored that Ted has put his trust in me to continue guiding the direction of IDW’s future in this expanded role,” said Goldstein. “Equally, I have tremendous faith in Chris, David, and the rest of the IDW team to help lead us to even greater success.”

In addition to adding Publisher to his title, Goldstein, who joined IDW in 2008 as Chief Operating Officer, will also retain the title of President.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
:'(

A Message from the Evil Overlord of the Villainous Lair:

This is a post I’ve been hoping beyond hope never to make.

The Villainous Lair will cease typical operations at the end of this month.

Despite our best efforts, sales have been down all of 2017. We’ve trimmed expenses and boosted promotions to try and keep pace, and summer gave us hope, but this last season was brutal. We didn’t cover costs in either November or December. I don’t know if it’s the new world of Amazon, or consumer confidence/lack of discretionary funds, or something we could have fixed with more time, money, or energy, but I do know that I, now, mathematically, can’t keep it going.

I’ve searched high and low for alternatives, for buyers and for investors. While there was some serious interest, ultimately, none have chosen to take the plunge.

(This has always been a labor of love, rather than profit)

(That said, if anyone IS interested in a turnkey comic and game store for less than the cost of inventory, please don’t hesitate to contact us, the sooner the better)

Starting today, all not-otherwise-discounted, not-consignment product is 15% percent off.

All single issues older than four weeks are $1.

Trade paperbacks are, in addition to other discounts, buy-4-get-the-5th-free.

Store credit and gift certificates may be used from now through Jan 31 for all purchases of any nature, including tournament buy-ins and card singles. I want to close with a zero balance for all customers.

New comics every Wednesday through the 31st. We’ll have limited hours in February, as we’re looking to be mostly down to fixtures by then, so please handle your pulls as soon as possible. If you are deployed or otherwise away this month, please contact us for arrangements.

Tournaments will proceed as scheduled through Jan 28, including the Rivals of Ixalan prerelease and our last FNM on Jan 26.

I’m taking solace in the fact that, for the last six and a half years, I’ve owned a community space that has brought some measure of happiness to some of the awesomest people I’ve ever met. You guys have been the best minions and customers an Evil Overlord could ever have asked for. The creative energy, the nerdy camaraderie, the long nights of geeky discussions, the dreams and the quests and the stories, oh, all of it, the stuff makes us human, it all comes back to the storytelling…

Thank you.

Thank you all.

It’s been an honor.

-Alison Flynn

With the Store Closing it will also affect current Store Policies effective immediately.  The Short list is as follows

No Refunds all sales are final
    We are no longer buying cards
    We are no longer taking special orders or Layaways
    We are no longer accepting new subscription customers

For a full list please see the Store Policies Page of our Website