Author Topic: The PM system  (Read 6844 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
The PM system
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »
this one is going to be the trickiest to explane as it augments the existing pm system for the added functionality of

searching the messages
adding the function of folders to the organizational tree

from the documentation
This mod makes some changes to the PM system, seperating the PM conversations from the PM list.  It forces all users to conversation mode and makes users click on the message they want to view.  This keeps the forum from marking the latest message as read if you glance over the message list and click on something else and want to read a message that isn't the latest message received.

It adds an Outbox to the mix and seperates unread PMs from those that have been read.  It changes the "labels" into "folders" and removes the contents of the PM from the email notification. 

By default, this mod forces the view for personal messages to Conversation mode, but there is a new switch permitting the users to select a different mode other than Conversation mode.  The "PM Remove Inbox Label" and "Copy to Outbox" options are removed from the Personal Messages Settings page and set as default.

Version 2.0 sports an enhanced PM search system, which allows you to search Sent Items and the Outbox for PMs you specify.  It also allows the user to search them by username, just like the core functionality provided for the Inbox.  You are allowed to move PMs to folders for Inbox PMs, and allowed to delete PMs from all folders.

Version 3.0 adds the PM Quick Reply box,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Be sure  look at all the menus on the left side for the additional functionality
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:13:22 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Changes to the PM system
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
this one is going to be the trickiest to explane as it augments the existing pm system for the added functionality of

searching the messages
adding the function of folders to the organizational tree

from the documentation

Be sure  look at all the menus on the left side for the additional functionality

If anyone has been having issues with the PM inbox because of the new modification for the PM system, I think this may help. 

For example, if you're trying to look at a different PM conversation, but instead of going to that one, it redirects to the first message in the PM inbox.  (I had this problem when I had two new PMs in my inbox at the same time, and I've gotten some PMs that some people are experiencing similar issues.)

Try this to "reset" the PM inbox:
At the top navigation bar, click on "My Messages."
Under "Preferences" (on your left-side navigation options), click "Change settings."
You'll see a drop-down menu for "Display personal messages."  Click "All at once."
Then, click the "Change settings" button.
(It won't look like it did anything, but if you go to your Inbox, you can see that the messages are displayed differently.)

Go back to "Change settings" under "Preferences."
Change the "Display personal messages" drop-down selection to "As a conversation" to make it go back to conversation mode (or you can use a different setting).

The PM inbox should be working properly now.

Hope this helps!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: The PM system
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:00:21 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Changes to the PM system
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
i am experiencing delays in PMs. They are stuck in my outbox hours after I sent the message.

the pm's are not stuck, they're in your outbox until the recipient reads them.  once they're read they move to your sent box.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5