Author Topic: Which sewing machine to pick?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline BuzLtBeer

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
Which sewing machine to pick?
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »
I've never touched a sewing machine in my life but now I want to start making my own bodysuits etc.  I'm planning on buying one from my local target but which one is best for a newby like me?  It really needs to have variable speeds, if it takes off like a rocket I'm going to have issues.  Easy to thread (whatever that means), etc.

Choices are:

Singer 1512
Details You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Singer 2273

Singer 6180

Brother XS37
Photos from C2E2 2016
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Karoshi-Con 2016

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Which sewing machine to pick?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:19:53 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:
Moved from "Off-Topic Chat" to the "Cosplay" forum (where all of the cosplay-related discussions are housed).

^__~ Good luck on your cosplay!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:17:02 AM »

Offline chappadapp

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
Hello! I'm definitely on the more "casual" end of the seamstress realm. The most complicated thing I've made was a dress and I'll NEVER do that again.

For bodysuits, I'd think that you would want a machine that can do different stitch types, lengths and lets you adjust the thread tension. Depending on your material, you'll want to be able to make finer adjustments to your machine. Stretchy materials are really hard to sew.

Out of the four, I would probably pick the second one. I would stay away from the ones with all the fancy stitching settings unless you think you'll use them. Sewing machines are a pain in the butt until you get the hang of them, and I feel like all those fancy stitches are just going to cause you grief.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend grabbing a groupon for a sewing class (which I keep meaning to do). They also have "beginner sewing machine classes" that would be great if you haven't used one before. And start with simple stuff. Make a couple skirts or bags or something to get the hang of the machine before you move onto your expensive fabric. I've gotten to the point where if I can buy it instead of making it, I will. Sewing can be a lot of work and it's really time consuming if you don't do it often, but it's a great skill to have and you should totally go for it.

Also, totally use patterns if you can. They are the best once you figure them out!

Offline BuzLtBeer

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Thanks a ton for the advice Chap, I've never used a sewing machine in my life so I'm completely hoping people can give me their opinion.
Photos from C2E2 2016

Karoshi-Con 2016

Offline RandalllFreft

• Sails Pavilion
    • hello
Which sewing machine to pick
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
Hello everyone

I just found this forum and I'm impressed by the amount of creative folks out there who ask/answer questions in these forums.  I hope you can help me pick a sewing machine.

I currently have a Singer Curvy, a very basic entry level sewing machine. I enjoy making cloth dolls but my Singer does not have a small stitch. The smallest stitch is 10-11 stitches per inch.

I'd like to buy a new sewing machine, one that will allow me to grow and continue to learn. The main requirement is a small stitch. For my cloth dolls I need about 20 stitches per inch.

I'm considering a Husquarna 835 or a Bernina 350. Which of those two would you recommend and why?

Any other machines I should consider? I'd like to stay under  1500, if possible.

I don't have any friends who sew and I am learning a lot on my own, reading, asking, etc... so your advice will be extremely helpful

Offline crafty_lady

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
Yay! A new crafter! :D

Out of the ones you posted, I would suggest the Singer 2273. Looks like it has a few more options than the Singer 1512 Promise. Singer is a wonderful brand, so the machine itself, you probably can't go wrong. :)

If you are juts getting started, either of those should do fine. I don't suggest breaking the bank on your 1st machine.. Although, for the same price as the Singer 2273, the Brother XS37 looks like it has more options and would be wonderful for your costume makings.

I have a Brother 17 stitch, and it has impressed me for the price. I have been making custom costumes lately, putting quite a few miles on the machine. I have put it through a lot of different materials, and layers upon layers of fabric. It has done extremely well.

Check it out:

If you will be sewing with various materials, your thread tension will be the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of your machine. Too tight, and it will bunch up all of your material.. Too loose, and it will jam up the bobbin case (underneath), causing an annoying struggle to get all of the excess thread out.

Well, I hope this has helped, and not just made things more confusing.. :P
Best of luck to you!