Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57921 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Use this thread to discuss volunteering for SDCC 2019

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Dates from last year:
SDCC 2018 Volunteer Interest List Open: September 18, 2017
SDCC 2018 Volunteer Interest List Closed: September 19, 2017
SDCC 2018 Priority Volunteer Reg-10AM PDT: October 30, 2017
SDCC 2018 Priority Volunteer Reg Closes: November 10, 2017
SDCC 2018: Volunteer Interest List Reg-10AM PST: November 16, 2017
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:52:15 PM by Angology »
Ang

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
Yes I want to volunteer so bad. I have to sign up on the interest list though, I just hop it doesn’t fill up too fast.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:27:30 AM »

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
Yes I want to volunteer so bad. I have to sign up on the interest list though, I just hop it doesn’t fill up too fast.

there was a bunch of time to sign up for the interest list- it's the transition from interest list to actual volunteer which might be difficult. it wasn't for the '18 con but it has been tricky in the past.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »

Just keep your eyes open and you'll have a good chance.  This last year the windows for all the signups stayed open a while.  In previous years they opened and closed really quickly.  2019 is the 50th anniversary though and it's rumored to be an epic con so there might be more interest.

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
Quick question: can you cosplay and volunteer? Obviously not a huge costume, just something that I could wear like normal clothes or even wear a T shirt over it. Does SDCC have a strict policy on what volunteers wear during their shifts, as long as its appropriate?

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
FWIW Here's the dress code blurb from this year's  packet

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I only did an inside-the-con, Friday volunteer job this year and our Group had no cosplayers.  At Sails, our personal belongings were set aside in another room before working our assignment there. Very physical work in narrow aisles.  They did accomadate Special Groups like military, ADA, or volunteers with back problems, at the work site.

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
So it sounds like it isn't against the rules, per say, but is not recommended to do so? Just making sure.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
I'd definitely wait to see the new packet, though.  It'll have contact info as well.  Use the Member ID Contact Us form and they may have more info about cosplay. The question gets routed to the Volunteer Department. Have them add the words "costume and cosplay to the dress code?

Edit: cabler30 posted about a Fb Group here that may have some info, if you have access.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:40:20 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
So it sounds like it isn't against the rules, per say, but is not recommended to do so? Just making sure.

I've seen plenty of people wearing costumes while they are volunteering.  A LOT of the staff wear costumes while working.  I've heard department heads say that's it's fine to cosplay as long as it doesn't get in the way of doing your job.  So no, I wouldn't say that.  If your idea of cosplay is simply having body paint on, I saw someone on the exhibit floor doing that this year, that may be frowned upon.  But I don't think anyone would have a problem with a family friendly outfit.  Overall, everyone is pretty chill.  When it comes to volunteering, just keep in mind that just like with any job, the image you project will be associated with CCI for the general public.  So cosplay accordingly.

Offline lordmats0o

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »
How does volunteering work? If you get selected do you work all weekend? And how long per day? Just wondering if you're allowed time to enjoy the con.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
How does volunteering work? If you get selected do you work all weekend? And how long per day? Just wondering if you're allowed time to enjoy the con.

You can work 1 shift or up to 4 shifts, it's up to you.  Of course you can work no shifts but then you really won't be volunteering and you'll lose your priority status for next year.  With each shift you work you get an active badge for that day.  The exception is if you work a pre-con shift, a shift before the con starts, then you can pick any day as your free day.  A shift is 3 hours but I think of it as 3.5 hours since you should plan to be there a little early.  I always show up 30 mins before.  Sometimes they let you off early if there are too many volunteers or if there's nothing left to do.  I've worked 2 hour shifts.

You have plenty of time to enjoy the con.  If going to panels or the exhibit floor is your thing, you can either work very early in the morning before any of them start or very late at night well after they have all ended.  When you work or what you do is up to you.  You request a time or a job when getting scheduled.  But it's generally either or.  If you pick a time, they pick the job.  If you pick the job, then they pick the time.  But it's not unheard of if they get to know your face that they'll be more flexible.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
Several questions:

1) So say you work two shifts on two separate days. Then you get badges for those days. Do you have the opportunity to get badges for other days without volunteering (ie purchasing)?

2) Can you work two shifts in one day and get a badge for a different day?

3) What about Preview Night? There are only three hours, and a shift is three hours. So is there a point in volunteering on Wednesday?

4) How early and how late do volunteering hours go? Would it be possible to do all your volunteering before 10am, or perhaps later at night after you get some dinner?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »
Several questions:

1) So say you work two shifts on two separate days. Then you get badges for those days. Do you have the opportunity to get badges for other days without volunteering (ie purchasing)?

You can try to buy any other day you want just like anyone else.  Many people only volunteer on certain days since they have paid badges for the others.  Many people have paid badges for all 4 days and preview night but still volunteer for one shift just to keep their priority volunteer status.  Being a volunteer is the only way to guarantee that you can go to comic-con each year.

2) Can you work two shifts in one day and get a badge for a different day?

No, one shift per day and the badge is only active for that same day.

3) What about Preview Night? There are only three hours, and a shift is three hours. So is there a point in volunteering on Wednesday?

Since volunteers can't go to preview night as a volunteer, working on Wednesday is precon and thus you get a free day Thurs-Sun.

4) How early and how late do volunteering hours go? Would it be possible to do all your volunteering before 10am, or perhaps later at night after you get some dinner?

I know there are shifts that start at 6am.  I think they might start as early as 5am.  I've been offered shifts at 11pm.  I think some of the viewing rooms are open 24 hours but I don't know if volunteers work those.

Offline kenshinfreak327

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
Does anyone know when roughly the 2019 priority registration goes live? Is it the same every year (judging from the first post). This was my first year volunteering and it was great!

Some questions if I want to do return volunteering:

Do all 2018 volunteers get put on the priority list?

I was a tad late for my 1 and only shift (about 10-ish mins), does that affect me in any way? Trolley took longer to get there than I expected. They still allowed me to volunteer and I did my shift no problem.

Should we be on the lookout for an email regarding 2019 volunteering?

Is the process to apply the same? Click the link and fill out the application?

It seems the interest list comes out first, again looking at the first post? Is that for returning or first-timers?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 05:55:02 PM by kenshinfreak327 »

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
Returning registration varies. For 2018 it was on October 28 2017. For 2017 it occurred in March 2017 but that was unusually late.

That being said, being a volunteer does not qualify you for returning registration. You will need to try during open registration which can occur anytime between late 2018 and spring 2019. It was in December last time.

ETA:
2018 returning (priority) volunteer registration opened on Oct 30 2017 and closed on Nov 10

2018 open registration was held on Dec 9 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:54:58 PM by Devorah »