Author Topic: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)  (Read 36915 times)

Offline EscoBlades

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
Re: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey gang,

It looks like we have secured ourselves a hotel room in the sale and will NOT be using our backup, a condo off of AirBnB. I've paid for it, but it's fully refundable. I can cancel anytime, but if there's someone that's particularly interested, I can cancel at a convenient time so that someone else can swoop in and grab it!

Of course, it's an AirBnB, so there's always a chance that the host will cancel, or something won't work out, but it's worth a shot!

PM if interested.

Wow, that place looks amazing!

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
Hey gang,

It looks like we have secured ourselves a hotel room in the sale and will NOT be using our backup, a condo off of AirBnB. I've paid for it, but it's fully refundable. I can cancel anytime, but if there's someone that's particularly interested, I can cancel at a convenient time so that someone else can swoop in and grab it!

Of course, it's an AirBnB, so there's always a chance that the host will cancel, or something won't work out, but it's worth a shot!

PM if interested.

A user has been found for this AirBnB!

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline s3rndpt

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 06:20:31 AM »
A user has been found for this AirBnB!

Edited: It was snapped up pretty quickly! No longer available!

And now the fantastic AirBnB condo is up for grabs again! Deathbyjackal graciously helped me book it, and then I was able to get a hotel I wanted through the waitlist. $300 a night, fully refundable until July 15. I've currently got it booked for the 18-24th, but as long as it's a 4-night stay, you can book it for whatever days you need that week.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:47:56 PM by s3rndpt »

Offline Loliiz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
My airBnb Host cancelled today... It was because of an accident but is ONE WEEK BEFORE THE CON!
I'm all over the sharing room thread looking for something

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
I just got super lucky. Ive been doing some digging through VRBO fora few days and found a really nice place to rent for 2018 SDCC. And considering I'm planning (going to do my best) to bring my niece and nephews out from GA for their first ever SDCC. I ended up working with a woman named Gail Feldman who was extremely helpful. if you are looking for a rental and you see her name id say go for it. If the place you are looking at is booked she is pretty good about suggesting other properties she manages that may suit your needs.
My superpower is the ability to rationalize anything.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »
My group of 6 is thinking of changing it up this year and doing a VRBO rental on the beach. I'm hesitant because of the horror stories I've read, and I worry about the transport for the individual members to/from the convention. Any advice is appreciated!!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »
My group of 6 is thinking of changing it up this year and doing a VRBO rental on the beach. I'm hesitant because of the horror stories I've read, and I worry about the transport for the individual members to/from the convention. Any advice is appreciated!!

Is there a particular area you were looking at?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2018, 08:16:16 AM »
If you're on Coronado, I think there are water taxis that can drop you off behind the convention center?

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
Is there a particular area you were looking at?

We were originally thinking of the Mission Beach area, kind of combining two vacations into one.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »
If you're on Coronado, I think there are water taxis that can drop you off behind the convention center?
Oh, that is interesting, I'll look into that, thanks!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »
Our first SDCC we were staying on the beach in Pacific Beach (just north of Mission Beach).  We attended on Thursday and Sunday.  We took the city bus and transferred to the trolley, which dropped us right in front of the convention center.  It took about an hour each way (I think) and we only attended during daylight hours.  It wasn't nearly as easy as staying downtown but it was workable.  Also, we were renting a place through VRBO which worked out great!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2018, 10:21:31 AM »
We've done 2 years at Coronado, 2 years in the Mission/Pacific Beach area, and even several days in Encinitas (at hotels through, not rentals.) Transportation is a main consideration, especially if you want to do activities that require you to be there really early or really late since you might not be able to make use of the SDCC shuttles.

For Coronado there is a ferry that drops off by Joe's crab shack behind the convention center. It has a regular schedule and during SDCC they usually add a few extra runs, here's last year's schedule You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The cost can add up since you have to pay each way and there aren't any discount passes you can buy, having said that it's a nice change from the crowded trolleys. Coronado has a free summer shuttle that you can use to get around the island. There is also a water taxi that picks up behind the Marriott, it's pricier and the hours were somewhat irregular iirc. Oh, and there is an MTS bus that goes between downtown and Coronado. (Wherever you're staying, if you have some extra time then taking the ferry and shuttle over to the Del and the beach there is a pretty sweet side trip.)

For Mission Beach it's like [member=842]TardisMom[/member] said, there are buses that go to the Old Town transit center where you can get the trolley. It's not bad $ wise since you can get a pass that covers both the buses and trolley.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts [member=842]TardisMom[/member] and [member=4270]mark[/member]! We were out late most nights in 2017, so I am worried about the transport. Even if we do a parking pass, the 6 of us are bound to separate throughout the day. It's a lot to consider!

Offline needles1985

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2018, 02:47:40 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for a good but cheap airbnb for Thurs thru Saturday? Thanks!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for a good but cheap airbnb for Thurs thru Saturday? Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend a place unless I had stayed at it and unfortunately that limits it to one place in little italy that isn't available. Some general comments though, I would be wary of places that don't have substantial history and reviews, or places that use stock photos in their descriptions. I would also try to see if people have stayed there during SDCC in the past and make certain the owners know you are trying to book for SDCC.

If you are looking for something inexpensive, it's not likely to be downtown since owners will jack up prices during the convention. One thing to try would be to look for places close to hotels on the shuttle route, or to look for places that are close to trolley stops.