Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210468 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« on: July 23, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »
Battling the post con blues by starting the thread for next year. Any hotel stalkers find some decent backup options?

Don't forget those hotel reviews!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:20:34 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
one quick tip - do not pick the Pendry if it shows up on the lotto list. it still seems to be for non-attendees for the lotto despite showing up for regulars. was a waste of a slot on my request list.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:19:28 PM »

Offline EscoBlades

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
There are some hotels with rooms right now on 3rd party sites, just in case you want to hold something until the lottery next year.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »
one quick tip - do not pick the Pendry if it shows up on the lotto list. it still seems to be for non-attendees for the lotto despite showing up for regulars. was a waste of a slot on my request list.

Now watch it be open for regular attendees next year, but nobody picks it because they assume it's not, so people who don't even pick it get randomly assigned to it. ;)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »
I wonder if the new luxury hotel opening soon in downtown (on the same block as the Wyndham) will be part of the lottery pool, or it'll be like Pendry and only for VIPs and ballers.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
I wonder if the new luxury hotel opening soon in downtown (on the same block as the Wyndham) will be part of the lottery pool, or it'll be like Pendry and only for VIPs and ballers.

Based on the address in that article, it's going to be a bit of a distance to the convention center.  That shouldn't mean much to the celebs.  They can be limo'd to the CC.  I know quite a few celebs are housed at the Hotel del Coronado.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »
Another one opened up in June About 2 miles from the convention center in Cortez Hill

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:25:08 PM by rabbitwarren »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1287
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 05:07:20 AM »
I can't wait to hear someone report on their stay at ....The Pendry.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1397
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
This year was the first year I didn't have a back up hotel and it was a little scary when it seemed I didn't get anything. I have had some awesome back up hotels in the past, need to keep a watchful eye out.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
I can't wait to hear someone report on their stay at ....The Pendry.
But... but... but... We were told that some attendees were staying there. That some actually got rooms and it wasn't a complete waste of a pick ;)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »
So I went in 2017 but never participated in the hotel lottery. I got a crappy hostel in uptown SD and it was miserable. So for 2019 I want to go a little fancier and get a nice place to stay. My questions are:

How Bad is the hotel lottery, and would it be better to be in the early bird buyout instead?
(I personally don't mind staying far, but it would be fun to stay in a hotel close to gaslamp/the convention center/somewhere with some celeb sightings)

What kind of info is asked when filling out the forms for the hotel lottery? Is the process so extensive that by the time you fill out the form you are actually out of luck for booking the hotel room?

Does group buying for a hotel help you get a room easier, or does it matter if you're on your own?

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
So I went in 2017 but never participated in the hotel lottery. I got a crappy hostel in uptown SD and it was miserable. So for 2019 I want to go a little fancier and get a nice place to stay. My questions are:

How Bad is the hotel lottery, and would it be better to be in the early bird buyout instead?
(I personally don't mind staying far, but it would be fun to stay in a hotel close to gaslamp/the convention center/somewhere with some celeb sightings)

What kind of info is asked when filling out the forms for the hotel lottery? Is the process so extensive that by the time you fill out the form you are actually out of luck for booking the hotel room?

Does group buying for a hotel help you get a room easier, or does it matter if you're on your own?
The hotel lottery went fairly smoothly this year, with plenty of hotels showing up much later within the last couple of weeks of the con.
onPeak seemed to hold back a lot of downtown hotel rooms until the end.
Unfortunately, these things tend to change every year, so there is no guarantee the same will happen next year.
If you're the worrisome, just go with the early bird and enjoy.

Currently, you have plenty of time to fill out the form once on their site.  It is not a race.
This year, you needed your contact information, the names of up to 6 downtown and 6 non-downtown hotels, the type of room you wanted, and the names of all your roommates staying with you.
onPaek will post a sample form prior to the hotel day for you to prepare.

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
I hope to attend SDCC next year for the first time. So to put in good vibes with the universe, I was able to book a hotel that's just a 30 minute walk from the convention center. - in the Little Italy area. For me, a 30 minute walk ain't a problem, but for others it may be. In any event, if I don't get a badge, I can easily cancel and it's refundable.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 03:35:07 PM »
Does CCI gobble up all the rooms for a hotel, including the high-end suites? If you're rolling in cash, I imagine you could book one of those $$$$ suites directly through the hotel, yeah? Or I wonder if CCI takes those and reserves them for VIPs. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they do that for the Pendry.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
I hope to attend SDCC next year for the first time. So to put in good vibes with the universe, I was able to book a hotel that's just a 30 minute walk from the convention center. - in the Little Italy area. For me, a 30 minute walk ain't a problem, but for others it may be. In any event, if I don't get a badge, I can easily cancel and it's refundable.

That's smart. Personally, if I can't be right close by downtown I would always choose Little Italy. Especially now with so much great food. If you do end up there, make certain to check how close you are to the hotels in the area that are on the shuttle routes.