Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210458 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2910 on: July 27, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did it too, but it wasn’t a pleasant walk carrying 3 jugs of water and a bag of necessities.

I try not to do major shopping while on vacation.  Most of it is limited to a few snacks.  So, my need for a store is not a great as yours.  I just needed some toiletries--ones provided by our hotel for free but were not available because of the hour of the morning I needed to be ready by.

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #2911 on: August 01, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
I did it too, but it wasn’t a pleasant walk carrying 3 jugs of water and a bag of necessities.

I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt this year for the first time thanks to a fellow FOCC and I also made that round trip walk from Ralph's to the hotel.   The round trip includes a case of 32 bottles of water and other groceries.   But it wasn't bad because I didn't carry that case of water.   I brought with me to Ralph's my empty carry-on suitcase. I loaded that case of water bottles and whatever else could fit into my carry-on and just rolled it back to the hotel room.   I didn't notice any weird looks from anyone, not that it would bother me if anyone did. 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2912 on: Today at 07:40:35 PM »

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #2912 on: August 01, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt this year for the first time thanks to a fellow FOCC and I also made that round trip walk from Ralph's to the hotel.   The round trip includes a case of 32 bottles of water and other groceries.   But it wasn't bad because I didn't carry that case of water.   I brought with me to Ralph's my empty carry-on suitcase. I loaded that case of water bottles and whatever else could fit into my carry-on and just rolled it back to the hotel room.   I didn't notice any weird looks from anyone, not that it would bother me if anyone did.

but did you eat at sallys??? :D

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #2913 on: August 01, 2019, 05:21:32 PM »

Thanks for the tip -- this is a great idea. I'll try that next time. I wouldn't mind weird looks for carrying a suitcase either.

I was looking forward to since I had read reviews as recently as a month ago saying appetizers were half off during Happy Hour, and some of them looked really good. But when I got there they told me they cancelled their Happy Hour. They said that it wasn't necessarily due to SDCC, they are just changing some things around. Oh well.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #2914 on: August 02, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
I was looking forward to since I had read reviews as recently as a month ago saying appetizers were half off during Happy Hour, and some of them looked really good. But when I got there they told me they cancelled their Happy Hour. They said that it wasn't necessarily due to SDCC, they are just changing some things around. Oh well.
[/quote]

Yeah I spent 35 bucks on a burger with fries and a beer but it was really good!

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #2915 on: August 02, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
Nah, it looked expensive.   I just took advantage of the MGH's offering of their popup snack stand next to the hotel registration desk.  I'd pick up a hot dog and pizza for lunch and take about an hour break from the con.  At the same time I get to charge my phone.

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #2916 on: September 21, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »
I know this thread is mostly dead, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with an issue I had.

Before SDCC, I had 3 reservations placed at MMM - 2 were single-day rooms and 1 was for 5 days. When the reservations transferred over, I tried to see if I could somehow combine the deposits I had placed and just have one stay. I spoke to someone at MMM who said they couldn't transfer the deposits, but what she could do was cancel the 2 single-day rooms and waive the cancelation fee so that I would no longer be charged the deposit. I asked if that meant I would get my deposit back and she said yes because the fees would be waived.

But I never received my money back and MMM says to ask onPeak, while onPeak either tells me to contact MMM or says my deposit is non-refundable because of the deadline. When I agreed to the cancelation, I was led to believe MMM would have the deposits and they would have the say on being refunded, but now I'm told I'm SoL.

I tried to file a claim with my bank, but I found out today it was denied. Is there anything I can do in this situation? Or am I just out of luck for my stupidity? :/

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #2917 on: September 22, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
I know this thread is mostly dead, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with an issue I had.

Before SDCC, I had 3 reservations placed at MMM - 2 were single-day rooms and 1 was for 5 days. When the reservations transferred over, I tried to see if I could somehow combine the deposits I had placed and just have one stay. I spoke to someone at MMM who said they couldn't transfer the deposits, but what she could do was cancel the 2 single-day rooms and waive the cancelation fee so that I would no longer be charged the deposit. I asked if that meant I would get my deposit back and she said yes because the fees would be waived.

But I never received my money back and MMM says to ask onPeak, while onPeak either tells me to contact MMM or says my deposit is non-refundable because of the deadline. When I agreed to the cancelation, I was led to believe MMM would have the deposits and they would have the say on being refunded, but now I'm told I'm SoL.

I tried to file a claim with my bank, but I found out today it was denied. Is there anything I can do in this situation? Or am I just out of luck for my stupidity? :/

When the reservations were finally cancelled, did you receive notification from onPeak or MMM?
If MMM, then onPeak should have transferred your deposit over to MMM, and the money would have either been applied to your stay or refunded to you.
If onPeak, then it will be more difficult to get your deposit back, because of onPeak's cancellation policy.  It really wouldn't matter what you were told by MMM.
Also, When was the reservation cancelled?
What was the reason the bank denied your claim?

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #2918 on: September 23, 2019, 01:18:27 AM »
When the reservations were finally cancelled, did you receive notification from onPeak or MMM?
If MMM, then onPeak should have transferred your deposit over to MMM, and the money would have either been applied to your stay or refunded to you.
If onPeak, then it will be more difficult to get your deposit back, because of onPeak's cancellation policy.  It really wouldn't matter what you were told by MMM.
Also, When was the reservation cancelled?
What was the reason the bank denied your claim?
MMM. The cancelation was made after the reservations (and I assume the deposits) transferred over from onPeak to MMM, which was the week before SDCC.

I was told by my bank that they determined the purchase was made by me or someone I gave authorization to, so they couldn't wouldn't do anything about it. I know they contacted onPeak because the charge was made by them. I can only assume onPeak explained their cancelation policy, although I explained to my bank that the deposit was transferred over to MMM, who canceled the rooms and told me I wouldn't be charged.

I'll try contacting MMM this week. When I tried to clear things up before, a rep at MMM responded to me saying onPeak had and would be in charge of my deposit, but I've gotten a lot of inconsistent answers.

Thanks for the assistance!

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1397
« Reply #2919 on: September 23, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »
MMM. The cancelation was made after the reservations (and I assume the deposits) transferred over from onPeak to MMM, which was the week before SDCC.

I was told by my bank that they determined the purchase was made by me or someone I gave authorization to, so they couldn't wouldn't do anything about it. I know they contacted onPeak because the charge was made by them. I can only assume onPeak explained their cancelation policy, although I explained to my bank that the deposit was transferred over to MMM, who canceled the rooms and told me I wouldn't be charged.

I'll try contacting MMM this week. When I tried to clear things up before, a rep at MMM responded to me saying onPeak had and would be in charge of my deposit, but I've gotten a lot of inconsistent answers.

Thanks for the assistance!

I hope this gets cleared up for you soon. How terrible to still be dealing with this so long after SDCC has ended.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #2920 on: September 27, 2019, 10:58:39 AM »

Thank you! Currently in an e-mail exchange with the Marriott, but it's increasingly looking like I might just be out $700. I need the help of someone here on FoCC, but they haven't been online in over a month. Oof.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1397
« Reply #2921 on: September 27, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
Thank you! Currently in an e-mail exchange with the Marriott, but it's increasingly looking like I might just be out $700. I need the help of someone here on FoCC, but they haven't been online in over a month. Oof.

If you know what member it is you might be able to send them a message. Since returning registration is coming up they may be checking the forum. I got notification on my email that you had quoted me, that might be another option.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #2922 on: September 29, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
If you know what member it is you might be able to send them a message. Since returning registration is coming up they may be checking the forum. I got notification on my email that you had quoted me, that might be another option.
Thank you!

I got a hold of the person, but it looks like I might be out of luck getting the info needed for Marriott's investigation. I guess I might just have to eat the $700 this time. Lesson learned. Haha