Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210473 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #465 on: March 25, 2019, 12:17:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
She has already told me I don't get SDCC off in 2020. 

I'm kind of flabbergasted by that.  But then again, I've been working a long time, and have enough cred to TELL my boss when I'm taking vacation.

I'm curious how a boss can tell you they're not going to give you vacation that's more than a year away.
Phasers on Stun!!!

TravT77

« Reply #466 on: March 25, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »
I'm curious how a boss can tell you they're not going to give you vacation that's more than a year away.
There are plenty of jobs that require employees to take their vacation during certain times of year, for example many production facilities in my area shut down for a week at July 4th and a week at Christmas for maintenance repairs. For those who only have two weeks of vacation, that is the only time they get unless they are able to work out another arrangement with the boss (which typically doesn’t get approved ). I used to work at such a place and it sucked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #467 on: Today at 12:32:58 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #467 on: March 25, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »
There are plenty of jobs that require employees to take their vacation during certain times of year, for example many production facilities in my area shut down for a week at July 4th and a week at Christmas for maintenance repairs. For those who only have two weeks of vacation, that is the only time they get unless they are able to work out another arrangement with the boss (which typically doesn’t get approved ). I used to work at such a place and it sucked!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You [member=6814]TravT77[/member]  for enlightening me. 

When you've worked for as long as I have, you tend to forget about those kinds of restrictions.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4553
« Reply #468 on: March 25, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
Aren't you scheduled for emergency pneumonia on that dates of SDCC 2020? And very contagious, so no one could visit you in the hospital...

I will be if I don't get a new job by then!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #469 on: March 25, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
Thank You [member=6814]TravT77[/member]  for enlightening me. 

When you've worked for as long as I have, you tend to forget about those kinds of restrictions.

I feel like my degree should have come with a warning.  I don't know what you do but I may have to switch to your career!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #470 on: March 25, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »
You luck out on the time!  It's 10am here (I leave for work at 6:30 am) and I can tell you my boss won't understand.  She has already told me I don't get SDCC off in 2020.  So I am just going to have an emergency that day vs asking and getting told no. 

Already looking for a new job, the silly boss thinks that I will stick around after she told me no SDCC IN 2020.

I'm going to be rooting for you to get a new job then because that's terrible.  Absolutely terrible.  My job has some restrictions, like only 4 people can be out on Christmas Eve (that's a third of our department), but smack dab in the middle of summer?  With lots of advanced notice? Nah man.  That's an oppressive work environment.  Prayer circle for a better work environment in your future.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #471 on: March 25, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
One of my friends who usually goes to SDCC with me has to cancel this year because there's a vacation freeze at her work because of the timing of a big project she's involved with - I feel really bad for her.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #472 on: March 26, 2019, 07:18:14 AM »
One of my friends who usually goes to SDCC with me has to cancel this year because there's a vacation freeze at her work because of the timing of a big project she's involved with - I feel really bad for her.

I had this happen at my work one year, however, I lucked out.  They understood it was my big trip and since it was approved before the freeze was announced I got to go.  That place was great, I could put my vacations in the system for 3 years in advance.  The minute we found out the dates I asked for the time off.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1287
« Reply #473 on: March 26, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »
I had this happen at my work one year, however, I lucked out.  They understood it was my big trip and since it was approved before the freeze was announced I got to go.  That place was great, I could put my vacations in the system for 3 years in advance.  The minute we found out the dates I asked for the time off.

3 years in advance?  Wow...we have to wait until six months before to even request vacation time.  Nice!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #474 on: March 26, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
3 years in advance?  Wow...we have to wait until six months before to even request vacation time.  Nice!

My new place is definitely under a year, I keep looking to see, just in case I don't find a new job for 2020.  I figure I can put it in and see how serious my boss really is about I can't take it off in 2020.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #475 on: March 26, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
My job only lets us officially request it off once we've accumulated enough time.  But unofficially you can put it in the calendar whenever you want.  It's just not locked into our clock in system until the PTO is accumulated. 

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #476 on: March 26, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
My job only lets us officially request it off once we've accumulated enough time.  But unofficially you can put it in the calendar whenever you want.  It's just not locked into our clock in system until the PTO is accumulated.

That seems fair,  does it calculate what PTO you will have at that time or just what you have?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #477 on: March 26, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »

That seems fair,  does it calculate what PTO you will have at that time or just what you have?

It used to not calculate it and I had to do it by hand, but I think a recent update created a new column that gives you the chance to project.  I don't trust it though.  I've been calculating by hand for four years and I'll continue to do it lol. 

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #478 on: March 26, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »
It used to not calculate it and I had to do it by hand, but I think a recent update created a new column that gives you the chance to project.  I don't trust it though.  I've been calculating by hand for four years and I'll continue to do it lol.

I keep a spreadsheet also, I never trust the robots!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #479 on: March 26, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »
I keep a spreadsheet also, I never trust the robots!

There's a Terminator or Westworld joke in here I can feel it...