Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210481 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #435 on: March 23, 2019, 02:49:31 PM »
Lol, and I'm the opposite. I do not do Zen. I do not have faith. I'm freaking out about Hotelpocalypse and will remain freaked out until the massive initial deposit clears my credit card. All other nervous Nellie's are welcome to sit with me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #436 on: March 23, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lol, and I'm the opposite. I do not do Zen. I do not have faith. I'm freaking out about Hotelpocalypse and will remain freaked out until the massive initial deposit clears my credit card. All other nervous Nellie's are welcome to sit with me.

I’m sitting with you because I haven’t had an easy time since they switched to a lottery based entry system.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #437 on: Today at 03:53:37 AM »

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #437 on: March 23, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
I’m sitting with you because I haven’t had an easy time since they switched to a lottery based entry system.
I am to the point where my butterflies have butterflies...other then my 1st year going I have never been lucky at getting a downtown hotel.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #438 on: March 23, 2019, 04:42:19 PM »

To be fair, there's a good chance I'll be right back there in panic mode when we're about 48 hours out from the sale. I'm glad my primal fear center in my brain has given me a reprieve for the time being, but I may have to sit with you in the nervous Nellie section too, come that time.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9691
« Reply #439 on: March 23, 2019, 05:17:03 PM »
I get nervous and butterflies in my stomach every time there is ANYTHING for SDCC< even if I do not have a horse in the race. For  example, even if I gt a badge in pre-reg, I am nervous during general reg. Even though I don't need parking, the parking lottery makes me nervous. Even if I don't want any of the 'exclusives', the lotteries for them make me nervous.

Everything about SDCC makes me nervous, but on the flip side, it also makes everything so exciting! Perhaps it's that everything about SDCC is so exciting that it makes me nervous...

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #440 on: March 23, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
For me, it’s the 4-5 days between the lottery and getting the hotel email that’s the most nerve wrecking. Especially if you don’t get a hotel in the first wave and you have to wait another whole freaking week to see if you got anything.

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #441 on: March 23, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »
For me, it’s the 4-5 days between the lottery and getting the hotel email that’s the most nerve wrecking. Especially if you don’t get a hotel in the first wave and you have to wait another whole freaking week to see if you got anything.

That is the WORST!
Ad Astra Per Aspera

TravT77

« Reply #442 on: March 24, 2019, 05:07:10 AM »
Can someone please refresh my memory?  When buying rooms through the hotel sale, can you reserve dates beyond the last day of the convention (Sunday)?  I seem to remember having to add dates for the next week directly through the hotel. Am I remembering that correctly?  We are planning on staying until Monday or Tuesday and just now got to thinking I may need to see if the hotel has availability for those days.

Of course, without knowing which hotel you may/may not get, that is a bit of a challenge.  :-\ 
I assume that most hotels will start to see plenty of openings starting Sunday night??

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #443 on: March 24, 2019, 06:04:57 AM »
Can someone please refresh my memory?  When buying rooms through the hotel sale, can you reserve dates beyond the last day of the convention (Sunday)?  I seem to remember having to add dates for the next week directly through the hotel. Am I remembering that correctly?  We are planning on staying until Monday or Tuesday and just now got to thinking I may need to see if the hotel has availability for those days.

Of course, without knowing which hotel you may/may not get, that is a bit of a challenge.  :-\ 
I assume that most hotels will start to see plenty of openings starting Sunday night??
You can through the lottery sale but you pay the convention prices for those days as well. Best to do wed-sun through lottery and get the bookend days separately, cheaper that way. Last two years doing that hard rock and bayfront let us stay in same room for the 3 reservations with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #444 on: March 24, 2019, 06:22:52 AM »
I think being zen does help. When you really want something sometimes you need to let go, trust the process, and be thankful for the opportunities you've received thus far.

This was the first year that I stopped obsessing about the badge sale, and I actually got some this year.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #445 on: March 24, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »

You almost definitely will be able to find a cheaper rate for days before Wednesday and days after Sunday booking directly through the hotel. And if you’re worried about no availability, you shouldn’t be. Past two years I had no problems booking Tuesday night, even a couple months after the hotel lottery has finished. And if in some unlikely scenario the hotel you get through lottery doesn’t have rooms available before or after, you’re most likely near another hotel that does, and it shouldn’t be too inconvenient to switch hotels. Heck, I’ve switched hotels mid-con (rode a shuttle with my luggage to the convention center and walked to our hotel from there).

I’ve never had a problem getting a hotel to combine multiple reservations. In fact, last year we lucked out. Our hotel lottery res was for one bed, but our Tuesday reservation was for two beds, and they were able to combine the two and let us stay in the two bed the entire time.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #446 on: March 24, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
As someone who has always reserved the bookend dates outside of OnPeak - it appears as HBF has wised up this year. HBF rates have been $300/n for the pre-con dates since I've been monitoring them.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1844
« Reply #447 on: March 24, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
At the MGH last couple years the bookend rates haven't been much lower than the con rate.  But it is definitely worth checking!  And I've never had a problem getting bookend dates, we come early and stay late :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9691
« Reply #448 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
You can also usually get a AAA discount on bookend nights, making them cheaper.

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #449 on: March 24, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »
Worried about hotelapocolypse.  For the past three years we haven’t even gotten a hotel thru the lottery and then have to watch everyday hoping something will open up.  My boss never likes me during this time.