Author Topic: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Will Not Be At Comic Con 2012!  (Read 7868 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Will Not Be At Comic Con 2012!
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
according to
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Christopher Nolan has never attended Comic Con, but all that will change as both he and ‘The Dark Knight Rises‘ will be making an appearance this year so if you’ve not got your tickets yet, beg, borrow and make deals to catch this appearance.

Chris Nolan screened the rough cut of ‘The Dark Knight Rises‘ for Warner Bros this past Friday, and word has hit that his final film in the Batman trilogy will make a ‘surprise’ appearance at this years Comic Con in San Diego. Thankfully I got my tickets early as this will make going to the annual fest so worth while. Word trickling out from the ultra secret screening which included film chief Jeff Robinov and production president Greg Silverman is really good. “Aside from the usual tweaks and such,” our source over at the Bathouse said, “the suits seem genuinely pleased and rather ecstatic with the rough cut. Everyone will probably still be wondering about the Bane voice issue, but that won’t be one.”
It’s not too surprising that the Warner Bros response would be good after the footage we’ve seen so far including the special IMAX screening and trailer that’s got fans really worked up and ready for the opening night which has sold out in many places. I was rather surprised when I asked about Comic Con 2012 since ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ opens after it which is unusual as all the big Nolan movies have opened before the San Diego event kicked off including Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Inception. After confirming with several of our sources, this is what they had to say.
“Warner Bros was hoping that Chris would take advantage of Comic Con 2012 since he’s never been so it looks like they’ll be a panel with Chris, Tom Hardy and Anne Hathaway. We’re not sure about Christian Bale, but since this is the final Batman movie for them, I can’t imagine him not attending…but you know how Christian can be,” Our other source at the Bros house said. “Chris [Nolan] would love to keep it a surprise appearance, but in this day and age, it’s pretty impossible.”
Since it’s still early, and Nolan will be more focused on finishing ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ it sounds like there’ll be some sneak peek footage and a killer Q&A. Don’t be surprised to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt there too since he’s just that type of guy.

Also from the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Of course, it's best to take anything like this with a pinch of salt for the time being, but perhaps most interesting is the fact that they also go on to claim that they have received the following reaction to the recent screening of The Dark Knight Rises for Warner Bros. execs. "Aside from the usual tweaks and such, the suits seem genuinely pleased and rather ecstatic with the rough cut. Everyone will probably still be wondering about the Bane voice issue, but that won’t be one." What do you guys make of all this? Sound off with your thoughts below.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:14:05 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Spiderdan

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: Chris Nolan & ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Will Be At Comic Con 2012!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:24:58 AM »
I'm still secretly hoping for a screening of The Dark Knight Rises at comic con, but can you imagine the panic there would be trying to get in?  It would also have to be non IMAX since there isn't an IMAX screen close to the convention center (not to mention I won't have a car with me!)

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Will Not Be At Comic Con 2012!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:16:19 AM »

Offline redneckotaku

• Freebie Table
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
I kind of take this stuff with a grain of salt. What would be the motivation of Warner Bros to have anything with The Dark Knight Rises at Comic Con? They kind of know the anticipation has been huge because of the last film. Why let a film out a week before it's release and possibly get negative buzz? IF they do this, I wouldn't be surprised if this is at Petco Park or even Qualcomm Stadium. No they aren't IMAX screens, but they are probably the closest.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
Redneckotaku, yeah, which was why I added the quote from comicbookmovie

There are some smaller screens in the shopping mall a few blocks from the con. Iirc, they were used for the cap America movie last year
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
As fun as going to a screening would be, it would prolly mean missing a whole day of the con just to have a chance at making it in.  I think I would rather wait a week and soak in as much of the con as possible.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »
According to the ComicBookMovie.com site, the rumors are untrue and

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Will Not Appear At This Year's San Diego Comic Con After All

Offline Real Canadian superDAVE

• Room 6BCF
Re: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Will Not Be At Comic Con 2012!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
In reading the article you posted, I noticed it was based on a tweet from Drew McWeeny, which led me to go check out his Twitter feed. Scolling through I happened upon a link he included to an article he wrote on the phenomenon he's calling "The Fan-trum". Here it is:

I think you're going to see exactly this kind of behaviour surface if Warner Brothers does not bring any special event for "The Dark Knight Rises" to this year's Comic-Con. There will be those who cry long and loud about how they're somehow "owed" an appearance from Nolan and/or the film itself. Which, in my opinion, is ridiculous.

Film-making is still a business, and if they're going to do something at the convention, it's going to be based on monetary reasons, not out of any sense of obligation to the fans.

If there's a panel, a screening, or even some kind of party to celebrate the movie, then look at that as a bonus. But if they don't rise to the occasion, you can certainly be disapointed, just don't get angry about it.

It's also no stretch to see that this whole "Fan-trum" business also seems to come into play with Comic-Con itself. Whether it centers on badges, hotel rooms or anything else connected to the event.

You read comments from those who say they've been going for years, so they should get first dibs at whatever it is going up for sale. Then there are those who say they've wanted to go forever and ever, and now that they're finally ready to do it, those mean people at Comic-Con are dashing their dreams out of some kind of spite.

Oh well, it's just basic human nature, I guess.

Apologies for the rambling digression, but in its own convoluted way I really do think it pertains to a lot of what we're seeing this year.    :P