Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127749 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2020, 01:18:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This epidemic makes obvious to the public what we have here in the US.  The worst health care system of all developed nations and poor even compared to many developing ones.  The only thing we are first at in health care is in how much we pay.

People keep asking why we can't be like South Korea. Face it; we are more like Italy than South Korea.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
People keep asking why we can't be like South Korea. Face it; we are more like Italy than South Korea.
Really face it: we're worse off than Italy.  We have less tests per capita than any civilized nation, and a Federal government that doesn't seem interested it treating a pandemic and more interested in nurturing stock portfolios.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 10:12:26 AM »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2020, 02:57:14 PM »
Really face it: we're worse off than Italy.  We have less tests per capita than any civilized nation, and a Federal government that doesn't seem interested it treating a pandemic and more interested in nurturing stock portfolios.

While I may agree with you, I've always found this forum a great place to escape the political echo chambers of the major social media sites. There are people from a broad political spectrum on this site, and all should feel welcome here. We're Geeks. We're united in our geekdom.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »
While I may agree with you, I've always found this forum a great place to escape the political echo chambers of the major social media sites. There are people from a broad political spectrum on this site, and all should feel welcome here. We're Geeks. We're united in our geekdom.

I think a big part of the problem is that our health care system has been politicized and it shouldn't be. There should be frank discussions on how broken our health care system is and what we can do to fix it. Because it can be and should be fixed. Not only that, we all should be educated on how and why exactly it is broken and not just be told that it is. I'm not sure why there is a big fear of copying other countries. I think we should look at the potential health care systems out there and see what's the best and most realistic for us to emulate.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
I think a big part of the problem is that our health care system has been politicized and it shouldn't be. There should be frank discussions on how broken our health care system is and what we can do to fix it. Because it can be and should be fixed. Not only that, we all should be educated on how and why exactly it is broken and not just be told that it is. I'm not sure why there is a big fear of copying other countries. I think we should look at the potential health care systems out there and see what's the best and most realistic for us to emulate.

Taiwan offers an example of where they put politics aside to make healthcare better for all.  It used to have a patchwork system much like the US.  Now it's single payer for all.  Their system has handled this epidemic better than most.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 06:43:57 PM »
Taiwan offers an example of where they put politics aside to make healthcare better for all.  It used to have a patchwork system much like the US.  Now it's single payer for all.  Their system has handled this epidemic better than most.

I love how Taiwan is handling it. Believe me, that's my country right there (btw did you know their VP is an epidemiologist?). But I think we have to be realistic that we're not going to be able to copy Taiwan right now. We should look at more realistic models, like South Korea or Japan. But this is just looking at how they're handling the outbreak so far. If you're talking about changing our entire health care system after this crisis is over, I don't think jumping into single payer is realistic right now. I think it's safer to change in smaller steps. We should look at a country like Germany who apparently have both a strong yet affordable public health care system and also private health insurance options who want better coverage.  They have their universal health care coverage between their two types.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »
After 3 days of trying, I was finally able to get an order of rice in for delivery.  Many times I was able to add it to my cart only to have it sell out before I could checkout.

Is this what it feels like to win a Conan ticket?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2020, 04:45:19 AM »
The Florida governor has decided that anyone flying into Florida from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut  MUST self isolate and be tracked for 14 days.  Wonder if that would nclude the President, who has his primary residence in Palm Beach?🙄
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30:35 AM »
The Florida governor has decided that anyone flying into Florida from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut  MUST self isolate and be tracked for 14 days.  Wonder if that would nclude the President, who has his primary residence in Palm Beach?🙄

Maryland has done the same thing.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2020, 07:20:51 AM »
here's a great clip on how to deal with bringing groceries into the house.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »
I set groceries, and everything else, aside for 4 days.  Even before this epidemic, I would set things aside.  I would wash perishables like milk cartons before putting them into the fridge.  Now I don't buy anything perishable.  I miss bread.  They don't ship it.  I'm thinking about ordering a bread machine and a big bag of flour.

I think people should at least do what's shown in the video.  The one criticism I have is that he contaminates both his hands by handling things on the dirty half of the table and then uses those same dirty hands to touch the clean stuff.  That defeats the purpose.  When I do things like this, I keep one hand clean at all times.  So then I can use the clean hand to pull out that bag of cereal from the contaminated box.

Think about your mail too.  I set that aside for days as well.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
I love how Taiwan is handling it. Believe me, that's my country right there (btw did you know their VP is an epidemiologist?). But I think we have to be realistic that we're not going to be able to copy Taiwan right now. We should look at more realistic models, like South Korea or Japan. But this is just looking at how they're handling the outbreak so far. If you're talking about changing our entire health care system after this crisis is over, I don't think jumping into single payer is realistic right now. I think it's safer to change in smaller steps. We should look at a country like Germany who apparently have both a strong yet affordable public health care system and also private health insurance options who want better coverage.  They have their universal health care coverage between their two types.

Japan, South Korea and Taiwan have been able to handle covid the way they have is because of the health care systems they have.  That infrastructure enabled them to tackle it.  We don't have that infrastructure.  So I don't see how we can do what they did.

Taiwan has private health insurance.  I can't think of a country with universal healthcare that doesn't.  The UK has it.  Even Canada has it.  Having universal healthcare doesn't mean there isn't a private option.  It just means that everyone is guarantee at least a certain level of health care.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:41:08 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
Japan, South Korea and Taiwan have been able to handle covid the way they have is because of the health care systems they have.  That infrastructure enabled them to tackle it.  We don't have that infrastructure.  So I don't see how we can do what they did.

Taiwan has private health insurance.  I can't think of a country with universal healthcare that doesn't.  The UK has it.  Even Canada has it.  Having universal healthcare doesn't mean there isn't a private option.  It just means that everyone is guarantee at least a certain level of health care.

Yeah I think that's great for those countries. I may have to take back what I said about Japan though. I think there's been some indication that they might also be hiding their numbers. OTOH, I should add a country like Germany to the model countries category to emulate. According to NYTimes, they're testing almost 500K per week and they have a fatality rate of 0.4%.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
I set groceries, and everything else, aside for 4 days.  Even before this epidemic, I would set things aside.  I would wash perishables like milk cartons before putting them into the fridge.  Now I don't buy anything perishable.  I miss bread.  They don't ship it.  I'm thinking about ordering a bread machine and a big bag of flour.

As someone who LOVES making bread, you don't even need a bread maker, especially if you have a good stand mixer OR a good oven safe pan for no knead bread. I definitely recommend learning to make bread and keeping the ingredients on hand.

When we couldn't get bread at the store, I made some and it was delicious. Plus, nothing beats fresh out of the oven bread, that crisp, that softness, the warmth. Granted, I grew up eating fresh bread made by my mum and great grandmum. My mum used to have a bread maker when I was younger but she got rid of it when we consolidated homes when she remarried. I think she regretted getting rid of it because she does not have the patience to get out my stand mixer and make bread. (Plus, she actually HATES baking with a passion, it's hilarious to bake with her.)

No knead bread is a must to learn, it's delicious and goes with so many things and is so simple so long as you have the materials.

___

On a check-in note, I developed a bad fever on and off the last few days as well as a dry cough that comes and goes. Yesterday I was able to remote into work for 9 hours, but today I could barely sit up most of the day or get to my phone. There's a good chance I have it, since I've likely been exposed through my mum (nurse practitioner who is actively testing people in full gear through UCSD's express care facilities.) But I'm still holding onto hope it's just the flu and allergies at the same time.

As soon as we got the order to stay at home and I got sick before then, I've been self-quarantining. I only leave my bed to get water, meds, food, and the bathroom.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:19:18 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
On a check-in note, I developed a bad fever on and off the last few days as well as a dry cough that comes and goes. Yesterday I was able to remote into work for 9 hours, but today I could barely sit up most of the day or get to my phone. There's a good chance I have it, since I've likely been exposed through my mum (nurse practitioner who is actively testing people in full gear through UCSD's express care facilities.) But I'm still holding onto hope it's just the flu and allergies at the same time.

As soon as we got the order to stay at home and I got sick before then, I've been self-quarantining. I only leave my bed to get water, meds, food, and the bathroom.

I hope it's not Covid-19 :(  I'd try to drink as much hot/warm water as possible, take Tylenol for the fever, and take any zinc supplements you can find (though be careful with the amount because too much is toxic). I would contact your primary care doctor and ask them if they're willing to prescribe hydroxychloroquine or azithromycin for you if you start getting pneumonia-like symptoms. Be watchful of your symptoms daily for the next 7-10 days. There's been anecdotal reports how sometimes people can feel better one day and suddenly have full-on pneumonia and can't breathe the next day. I'd ask family members or close friends to monitor you daily and be ready to drive you to the hospital if it suddenly gets bad like that.