Author Topic: Alternative Press Expo (APE) October 3-4, 2015 - San Jose Convention Center  (Read 1444 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
There's 2 other active threads about San Jose conventions, let's make it 3!

From the website, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:

"APE 2015 Dates Announced

October 9, 2014

The Alternative Press Expo, now under the auspices of Dan Vado and SLG Publishing, will return to San Jose in 2015 keeping the same first weekend of October schedule that has proven succesful for the event.

Taking place October 3-4 at the San Jose Convention Center, APE in San Jose is shooting for more of a festival atmosphere, with panel and workshop programming taking place in some of the galleries and art venues in downtown San Jose.

The South Hall (where APE will take place) faces downtown's SOFA Arts district and has many art related businesses in its vicinity. SOFA is the location for SOuth First Friday, a monthly artwalk which has grown to be very succesful.

For more information o the 2015 Alternative Press Expo contact Dan Vado at [email protected]"

There's a good number of exhibitors listed on the page, no schedule or ticket info yet. For those who haven't been, this is usually a good place to find art and crafts. Some comics, but mostly individuals or really small publishers.

When APE was under CCI you could go for free with an SDCC badge but now it's under a different company. Still, it's San Jose and will be affordable I bet.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
Went to this on Saturday, ok overall but was a bit disappointed. Fewer vendors than recent years when it was in San Francisco, definitely fewer attendees. Wasn't in the San Jose convention center proper but in the "South Hall" which is a large tent/quonset thing. This was not well advertised so the first thing you see is a handwritten sign telling you to go to a different location. Had to leave the hall for bathrooms, atms were a bit of a walk away.

Not much in the way of comics. Valiant had a small booth and there were some creator owned projects.

Still a great place for art and for chatting with people, saw some really cool projects, this one for example:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Thanks for the review! We had a couple other things on and couldn’t make it. Glad to hear about the cool art. I hope they put it in the main convention center in the future, as IMO the South Hall is not an appealing place for a stand-alone convention (on the other hand, it can be good for a big overflow room or an exhibit hall of a convention that already fills up the center.)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
You know, I heard nothing about this... saw no advertising, received no emails. The low attendance may be because no one knew it was happening.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about it but I didn't get an email either. They did pass out flyers to comic shops, which is why I remembered, but comics aren't APE's forte.