Author Topic: Getting Autographs at Comic-Con 2013  (Read 91700 times)

Offline yaro

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Getting Autographs at Comic-Con 2013
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
I was wondering how the autographs work at Comic-Con? Do you have to buy tickets to get an autograph? What are limited ones? Basically, how does it work at Comic-Con?

My first time going to SDCC.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Getting Autographs at Comic-Con
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »
It depends.

On the main floor, there are some booths where they have people autographing, and they are hosted by the company who rented the booth. Sometimes these autographs are free, particularly 'free with purchase' type autographs. For example, last year we bought Pocket God comics and the creators of Pocket God were there and they autographed all of them, plus a poster, and gave us free stuff.

Sometimes these booths will offer a ticket/lottery system where they will hand out tickets for free and those people will get autoographs. This is usually done for the bigger celebrities (e.g. the cast of the Big Bang Theory).

In Artists' Alley there are individual comic artists who paid for a table. They will usually autograph and create custom drawings for a minimal charge.

In the Sails Pavilion there are other small autograph tables where you can meet and get photos and autographs from B-List actors who have paid for a table there. There is usually a charge for this service. Erin Gray, Richard Hatch, etc. are usually regulars in this area. You can also find random tables like this on the main floor, such as for the Star Trek actors, or Lou Ferigno and Peter Mayhew. Last year there was a special table for the cast of the Guild.

Sometimes in the Sails Pavilion they have free autographs from people who have just held panels. For example, last year I went to see a panel with Scott Westerfield (author) and afterward he went to the Sails Pavilion and we got our books autographed for free, no purchase necessary.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Getting Autographs at Comic-Con 2013
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:12:37 AM »

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
Autographs for the big movies presented are always done lottery style.  The lottery is usually held early in the day either at the line to go into the exhibit hall or in the sails pavilion.  If you draw a winning ticket, you get a wristband with place and time of the autograph sessions.

The WB booth, which hosts the autograph sessions for tv shows like Vampire Diaries, true Blood and Big Bang Theory also has a lottery system.  But for theirs you have to line up outside and wait for the specified time for your lottery just for a chance to maybe get an autograph.  You miss a lot of con time on a gamble, but if you love the show, maybe it's worth it

Sometimes people will be signing at random booths on the floor.  Last year, I got Sam Worthington's autograph at a random small booth because he had co-written a comic.  I saw Nicholas Brendon signing at a small booth in the back

Dark Horse does their autographs on a raffle basis.  You go by and getma raffle ticket, and they will draw the winners about an hour before the autograph session.  They always host Joss Whedons signings.

Some autographs on the exhibit floor in booths and in the autograph area in the sails are paid.  NOTE that everyone has to sign your Comic-con annual for free.  Even if it's a paid booth, they can't charge for signing that.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  NOTE that everyone has to sign your Comic-con annual for free.  Even if it's a paid booth, they can't charge for signing that.

Really? I've been going to Comic Con for years and U had no idea about this. To whom does it apply? Everyone in artist's alley? Everyone in the Sails Pavillion? Everyone on the dealer's floor?

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »
Is that the book that was sent out with the Spiderman stars on it?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »
Is that the book that was sent out with the Spiderman stars on it?

No. The annual is a book (similar to the Spideman magazine) that is give to you when you pick up your badge at registration.

Offline Rainer

• Freebie Table
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
It is the special Souvenir Book that you will receive after you pick up your badge.

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
  NOTE that everyone has to sign your Comic-con annual for free.  Even if it's a paid booth, they can't charge for signing that.

Really? I've been going to Comic Con for years and U had no idea about this. To whom does it apply? Everyone in artist's alley? Everyone in the Sails Pavillion? Everyone on the dealer's floor?

Everyone.  It says it right there in the book just in case anyone gives you a hard time about it.  I've pulled mine out on paid autograph lines and no one has argued, so I guess they're notified about the policy. They just don't advertise it.

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »
Oh ok, so it's the Souvenier Book... I hope i'm not the only one expecting to see some crazy beautiful cover art for the Marvel Anniversary..

Do we get the souvenier bags and the book when we register?

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »
Oh ok, so it's the Souvenier Book... I hope i'm not the only one expecting to see some crazy beautiful cover art for the Marvel Anniversary..

Do we get the souvenier bags and the book when we register?

When you pick up your badge.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »

Everyone.  It says it right there in the book just in case anyone gives you a hard time about it.  I've pulled mine out on paid autograph lines and no one has argued, so I guess they're notified about the policy. They just don't advertise it.

That's so great to know! Thank you so much!!!!!

Offline WICKEDLIQUIDS

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
So when are the bigger TV shows/movies autograph line up announced?

I'm dying to get some Big Bang (no pun intended...or DID I?  8) ) and some of the movie people. My buddy is all about the comic artists which I'm not as much into.

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
Sometimes, it's fun to just walk through the autograph area and see the people who are signing. Last year I saw Dirk Benedict, who was Starbuck when Starbuck was a dude, as well as Face from the A-Team.

I also happened to walk by and see, unannounced, Paul Rubens, aka Pee-Wee Herman, signing at a booth!

Also, check the boards in the autograph area - there are many times when celebs have canceled, are running late, or surprise signings are announced. I remember that one year, there was supposed to be a celeb who was signing but couldn't get to the Convention Center due to an accident on the 5 freeway that was stopping up traffic. Stuff happens, so don't get upset over a celeb running late or having to cancel a signing - it may be out of their control.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

A couple of weeks before the Con. Try for late June.

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:54 PM »

I'm dying to get some Big Bang (no pun intended...or DID I?  8) ) and some of the movie people. My buddy is all about the comic artists which I'm not as much into.

Those won't be announced until you're actually there.  Big Bang Theory always signs at the WB booth.  Up until last year you had to be at their booth at the right time and just try to shove into the line before they closed it.  Starting in 2011, WB did a lottery in the sails pavilion.  For instance, they might have a BBT signing at 2 pm  on Friday.  They would do the lottery at maybe 10:00 am.  But people would be lining up for the lottery before Comic con even opened and they would cap the line at 200.  So for a 10 am drawing, you would have to spend all morning in line just for the possibility of getting an autograph. I did that for the Chuck signing and got a wristband.  But I spent all morning in line for Vampire Diaries and they gave out all the wrist bands before I even got to draw a ticket, so I had basically waisted hours of Comic-con time.  But if it's important to you, give it a try.  If you need help finding it when Comic-con starts, message me and we'll figure out a way to get in touch.