Author Topic: Getting Autographs at Comic-Con 2013  (Read 91692 times)

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Getting Autographs at Comic-Con
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »
Thank you to everyone who posted on this - all that info was really helpful, esp about the souvenir book!

@Musica1 - thanks for sharing your experiences. As a first timer to SDCC I'm learning to manage my expectations since all I've been reading about is having to queue for hours - esp for the popular movie/TV panels.

I always thought autographs were done at the panels, but after reading this I realise they are conducted at a separate location. Does anyone know where are the boards in the autograph area? Does this area change every year or is it a constant?

I'm seriously hoping that the cast of Supernatural will be at SDCC'12 and that there will be an autograph signing! I'd also love to get Mike Carey's autograph since I'm cosplaying Mazikeen from Lucifer! :)

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you to everyone who posted on this - all that info was really helpful, esp about the souvenir book!

@Musica1 - thanks for sharing your experiences. As a first timer to SDCC I'm learning to manage my expectations since all I've been reading about is having to queue for hours - esp for the popular movie/TV panels.

I always thought autographs were done at the panels, but after reading this I realise they are conducted at a separate location. Does anyone know where are the boards in the autograph area? Does this area change every year or is it a constant?

I'm seriously hoping that the cast of Supernatural will be at SDCC'12 and that there will be an autograph signing! I'd also love to get Mike Carey's autograph since I'm cosplaying Mazikeen from Lucifer! :)

Different areas have different boards.  Autographs are literally done in every area of Comic-con with each having its own rules.  The Supernatural signing was at the WB Booth which would be like the Vampire Diaries and Chuck autographs I described.  Last year, the board for those was at the end of the Sails Pavilion closest to Ballroom 20.  During Comic-con, if you watch the Friends of Comic-con board, I will try to post the locations and times of any autographs I see.  Also, Supernatural had a panel at Nerd HQ last year, which is not affiliated with Comic-con but happens at the same time. You can watch for those at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Getting Autographs at Comic-Con 2013
« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:55:34 AM »

Offline outphase

• Exhibit Hall
    • Law Bomb
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
Usually the big name TV/movie signings are in the exhibit hall immediately after their panel. You need to line up in the morning for a ticket to wait in line for the signing. This usually means you either have to pick the panel or pick the autographs as it's physically very difficult to be in two places at once.

Some other big names like Lou Ferrigno and Peter Mayhew have their own booths in the hall and charge their own prices for autographs throughout the con. I have seen Nichelle Nichols and Leonard Nimoy randomly at booths, but they were special guests for a limited time at that booth.

The only people who are required to sign the souvenir book for free are those with sails pavilion tables.

Offline lovelywanderer

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for autographs and/or photos while at Comic Con??  Thanks so much!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
There are so many different ways to get autographs at the Con! I would say, if there's an autograph you REALLY want, then you have to go all out to make sure you get it, even if that means lining up super early for tickets/wristbands/whatever.

But sometimes the coolest autographs are when you're not even looking for them! There are so many booths selling books, comics, artwork, etc. and if you ask, often the artist will be at the booth sometime during the Con and happy to sign your purchase for you. My daughter's favorite moment last year was when we got to meet the creators of Pocket God, and they autographed a  bunch of comics for her, and gave her a free art print (also personalized and autographed) and t-shirt!

As for pictures, the best thing you can do is have a good camera. Practice with it before you go. You may want to take pictures from far away, in poor lighting conditions, etc. Try out your camera in these conditions and determine what the best settings are, and what works. You will be grateful when you're at the back of a hall watching a panel and trying to take a picture from far away.

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
Also, be aware that many celebs who are signing will charge for pictures with them. Kathy Najimy did that, as does Peter Mayhew when he's there, and I think Lou Ferrigno did that as well in previous years.

That being said, if you're in a hall or walking through the Convention floor and you fire off some candid shots of celebs (and it DOES happen that they walk the floor - I've seen Dave Thomas of SCTV fame, Al Yankovic, and last year saw Adam West heading to a signing at the Fox booth) you can get quick shots of them. You just have to be ready with your camera.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
Someone said on this board (maybe even this thread) that even celebs who charge for autographs are required to autograph your Comic Con annual for free. We tried this out at WonderCon last weekend and found it to be true.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »
Someone said on this board (maybe even this thread) that even celebs who charge for autographs are required to autograph your Comic Con annual for free. We tried this out at WonderCon last weekend and found it to be true.

That seems like misinformation to me. They may do it to be polite, but I wouldn't bank on it being a requirement nor get belligerent if they refuse. 'Media Guests' are there almost solely to make money off their signature and likeness.

Offline Rainer

• Freebie Table
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
The following is from the 2011 Autographs Page on the official site:

"Autograph Area Participants must sign one copy of the Souvenir Program Book for any fan at no charge. If the fan and the Autograph Area Participant come to an agreement, an item may be substituted for the Souvenir Program Book that the Autograph Area Participant agrees to sign for free.

Autograph Area Participants may not require a purchase to sign the Souvenir Program Book. They are not expected to sign anything they deem offensive or that violates any contractual agreements they may have."

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »

"Autograph Area Participants must sign one copy of the Souvenir Program Book for any fan at no charge. If the fan and the Autograph Area Participant come to an agreement, an item may be substituted for the Souvenir Program Book that the Autograph Area Participant agrees to sign for free.

Autograph Area Participants may not require a purchase to sign the Souvenir Program Book. They are not expected to sign anything they deem offensive or that violates any contractual agreements they may have."

Wow. I stand corrected. Maybe I'll get some signatures this year. Thanks for pointing that out!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
I hear you, Trev! I thought it sounded fishy too, but then when it was posted as being on CCI's page I was amazed! I have been going to SDCC for years and never knew this! But as I said, we tried ti at WonderCon and it worked out without a hitch!

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »

The big part of that is that it's for "Autograph Area" participants. Celebs on the floor CAN charge for their signature, and don't have to follow to the Autograph Area scripture. Lou Ferrigno was charging for signatures a few years ago when he had his booth on the floor; Peter Mayhew did the same last year.

Stan Lee was also privy to this at one booth; there was a charge of $40 or $50 (I don't remember which one it was, as I remembered seeing it AFTER I'd gotten my signed comic from him last year, and was glad I didn't have to pay for it).

That being said, nearly every autograph I've ever gotten has usually gotten me to purchase something from them. It's not that I was forced to, it's because I was able to get a pre-release of a book, which, to me, is a bonus. :) (Did that 2 years ago with a Jim Butcher book - he was in the autograph area signing, and they had his new book that was slated to be released in 3 days, but Mysterious Galaxies had worked out permission from the author and the publisher to sell copies a few days early)

Offline carmitch

• Exhibit Hall
  • Disabled CCI attendee
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
Last year, I had forgotten my Souvenir Book on Friday.  I had to, practically, beg Lee Meriweather's assistant to let me get a pic of Lee and me, instead.

Some others are pretty cool with autographs.  Judah Friedlander not only signed a few of his swag, but took a couple of pics w/ me.  We, even, had a brief chat of any performances he was doing up in L.A. (where I live).

I didn't know the autograph policy for SDCC applied, also, to Wondercon.  I saw Lou Ferrigno and tried to hint to get a free autograph from him.  He never mentioned the policy.  (Do they know of it?)  I even let him know I am a MDA client, since MDA was the charity he plays for on CELEBRITY APPRENTICE.  No such luck, bummer!

Offline carmitch

• Exhibit Hall
  • Disabled CCI attendee
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 05:32:48 AM »
Oh, PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU'RE WALKING!

As you can see in my avatar, I'm in a wheelchair.  Many of us are lower than the average adult.  It is very easy to trip over us and some of us do feel it when you land on us.

So, just pay attention and don't get too distracted by the hotties!   ;)

Have a blast!  I know I would (as I did last year), if I was going this year.   :'(

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
My understanding is that the celebrities in the autograph area know of the policy, but don't 'advertise' it (for obvious reasons).  ;)