Author Topic: Is it possible to do Hall H Saturday with volunteer badge?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
Is it possible to do Hall H Saturday with volunteer badge?
« on: July 13, 2022, 09:36:29 PM »
Didn’t get a Saturday badge (have all other days), but did get volunteer confirmation. I’ve done Hall H several yrs but it would be my first time volunteering. From what I’ve read (assuming I work with a line group):

I think I have to volunteer Friday so I can get a Saturday assignment on Friday after 1pm. 1) is that correct? 2) Will I get my Saturday badge immediately to have it for wristbands Friday night?

If I have to be in line in the morning, Marvel is 5-6pm and volunteer shifts are 4 hrs long, it doesn’t look like I can use a bathroom pass to do a shift during the day. 3) Are there any volunteer shifts in the evening after 6pm?

In theory, I could fail my assignment but I don’t want to do that on principle, plus I’d want to keep volunteer status in case I strike out in both badge sales.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Is it possible to do Hall H Saturday with volunteer badge?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 09:46:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I have to volunteer Friday so I can get a Saturday assignment on Friday after 1pm. 1) is that correct? 2) Will I get my Saturday badge immediately to have it for wristbands Friday night?

You do not have to do a shift on Friday to get a Saturday shift.  In fact, if you do a Friday shift then you'll have to wait a couple of hours after finishing your Friday shift before you can sign up for a Saturday shift.  You just have to sign up for the Saturday shift on Friday after 1:30pm or 2 hours after a Friday shift ends(whichever is later) or Saturday morning.    Your badge will be active the entire day of your shift.

Volunteer badges aren't issued daily.  It's an entire event badge, 4 days + PN.  What happens is that the RFID chip is activated for each day you sign up for a shift.

3) Are there any volunteer shifts in the evening after 6pm?

Yes there are.  There are shifts at all sorts of hours.  I was once asked if I really wanted a 11pm shift when what I meant was an 11am shift.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:52:47 PM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:11:17 PM »

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 09:57:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login says  “if you didn’t volunteer on Friday, you’ll have to wait in line and check in first thing Saturday morning” so that’s where I got the Friday thing. Thanks for clarifying!

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 09:58:38 PM »
Did you try for precon shift? if you get selected for precon you can get a badge for any day you want. Me and my wife did that last con and we didnt have saturday, once we did our shift we said we wanted saturday and then tell them to activate it so they can scan it for wristband.

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 10:03:14 PM »
Did you try for precon shift? if you get selected for precon you can get a badge for any day you want. Me and my wife did that last con and we didnt have saturday, once we did our shift we said we wanted saturday and then tell them to activate it so they can scan it for wristband.
I did not try. I honestly thought I was going to skip it this yr and signed up for volunteer as a “just in case” and now last minute trying to work in a few days haha

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 10:18:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login says  “if you didn’t volunteer on Friday, you’ll have to wait in line and check in first thing Saturday morning” so that’s where I got the Friday thing. Thanks for clarifying!

I find that statement to be ambiguous at best.  The only way I can interpret it to be accurate is they mean that if you don't volunteer on Friday then you won't be there at all on Friday.  Not even to sign up for a Saturday shift.  Other than the 2 hour rule, having a shift one day has no bearing on when you can sign up for a shift on another day.

If you want to be sure for you own peace of mind, check the volunteer pack you got when you signed up to be a volunteer.  It's all in there in.  Really it's spelled out in these 3 sentences.

"Before 1:30 PM, we only give out assignments for the current day. Starting at 1:30 PM, we begin to schedule assignments for the next day. Two hours after the end of your assignment or after 1:30 PM, whichever is later, you may get an assignment for the following day."

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 10:25:11 PM »
I find that statement to be ambiguous at best.  The only way I can interpret it to be accurate is they mean that if you don't volunteer on Friday then you won't be there at all on Friday.  Not even to sign up for a Saturday shift.  Other than the 2 hour rule, having a shift one day has no bearing on when you can sign up for a shift on another day.

If you want to be sure for you own peace of mind, check the volunteer pack you got when you signed up to be a volunteer.  It's all in there in.  Really it's spelled out in these 3 sentences.

"Before 1:30 PM, we only give out assignments for the current day. Starting at 1:30 PM, we begin to schedule assignments for the next day. Two hours after the end of your assignment or after 1:30 PM, whichever is later, you may get an assignment for the following day."
When I read the packet I interpreted it just as you did. The article made me think I was missing something. I really appreciate the details, you answered all my questions. Thanks again!