Author Topic: 2022 SDCC Mask Guidelines  (Read 11399 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: 2022 SDCC Mask Guidelines
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't have a problem with masks generally but having now been to a couple of cons with a mask policy I start sweating too much from the mask.  (I have significant hayfever so I usually can't breath through my nose).  To this end over an extended period of time I start sweating and feeling ill from wearing a mask for lengthy periods.  It's not a problem for things like everyday but for conventions I clearly need to step out and remove my mask for a few minutes every so often.

Worse case scenario I can do it in a restroom stall away from people so I can cool down.  But I was curious if anyone has any recommendations for mask purchases or types prior to con that breath a little better.

While not particularly for SDCC, because of the valve.  Although you could probably wear a surgical mask over it which is what people do in other places where valved masks are not allowed.  This would be a good choice for an everyday mask if heat is a problem.  That's why it's called a Cool Flow.  Normally they sell for $2 each but due the mask glut, they are now selling for 35 cents each.  35 cents for a 3M N95 is a good deal.  Even if it's only used during yard work to stave off hay fever.

Offline flyt2b0ston

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2022, 02:45:56 PM »
if anyone is still looking for a good fitting N95 I suggest the 3M 9205+ Aura which is usually readily available at Home Depots. You can buy a box of 3 I think for $12 which is expensive per mask in that quantity, but my partner and I find it has a good seal on our faces.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 06:27:46 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2022, 10:15:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure they won't change the mask policy and I'm quite relieved that it will be in place.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »
They're not going to change it now, this close to the con. Even if they wanted to at this late date, they would simply relax enforcement, rather than changing the official rules. Changing the rules now would upset the apple cart too much.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »
Agreed. Also CCI in general changes slooooooowly. I highly doubt they will change anything they've already announced between now and Con.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2022, 01:13:50 PM »
Want to feel better about what SDCC is doing?  Look at Denver

I will be wearing a mask the whole time
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2022, 01:21:12 PM »
Denver sounds very reasonable. I wish CCI would do that! But the people who run CCI are COVID-scared and aren't interested in a reasonable, balanced approach.

Ah well, we're going to Comic Con, and that's what matters!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
I don't think Denver is reasonable at all and I don't think CCI is running covid scared. 

I think it says something when a company steps up and asks people to do something for the greater good.  Fan expo just isn't a company that cares about you, they just care about your wallet. 

I think CCI cares about its attendees and wants to keep them safe.  If more companies/people did that the world would be a better place.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »
I don't think Denver is reasonable at all and I don't think CCI is running covid scared. 

I think it says something when a company steps up and asks people to do something for the greater good.  Fan expo just isn't a company that cares about you, they just care about your wallet. 

I think CCI cares about its attendees and wants to keep them safe.  If more companies/people did that the world would be a better place.

Agree completely. I can't say I'm excited about having to wear masks with my cosplay, but I would absolutely have CCI err on the side of protecting their guests and attendees. Covid is still killing people and indoor conventions are obviously a risk in any case. I'm very glad that SDCC is finally coming back and also glad that they are trying to take steps to make it as safe as they can.

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
With SWC apparently turning into a super spreader event after not enforcing Covid precautions, I will be masking and social distancing as much as I can. One thing I found helpful when wearing a mask is a mask lanyard, so when I do need to remove my mask, I don’t have to fuss with finding a place to put it, leave it dangling from one ear where it might fall off, etc.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2022, 02:05:38 PM »
LOL at Denver Fan Expo "policy" being "reasonable." Their policy is essentially no policy at all. There is no check to see who is vaccinated meaning an open invitation for no masks by everyone.

Coachella  had this "policy"  at work (although they did "pretty please with sugar on top" ask folks to wear a mask if you can) when I attend. No one wore masks on the weekend I went, and surprise! Covid spread.

Anime NYC had these Covid policies at work and it was reported that the event was not a superspreader event.

These policies work and should be encouraged to continue so long as Covid remains a widespread disease.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
By 'reasonable', what I meant was that attendees are able to make their own choice as to what is best for them. My body, my choice, no?

Regardless, I do not wish to get into a discussion of such things in this thread, and I apologize for touching on this sensitive topic. We all want to attend cons, and I think the vast majority of us here, whether we support such restrictions or chafe at them, will do what is necessary to attend the cons we enjoy. Hence people who want restrictions still attend cons where there are none, and people who do not want restrictions will attend cons where they are present.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2022, 02:30:29 PM »
Let's not equate body autonomy to a mask on here.  I think we all know that is not okay.

I believe the moderators would agree this forum is not the place for that discussion. 

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2022, 02:51:08 PM »
I think CCI is just doing what the state of California recommends.

We're in California.  We are attending an indoor event with more than a thousand people.

California Department of Public Health says "Get that shot and mask up".

I'm okay with it.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
With SWC apparently turning into a super spreader event after not enforcing Covid precautions, I will be masking and social distancing as much as I can. One thing I found helpful when wearing a mask is a mask lanyard, so when I do need to remove my mask, I don’t have to fuss with finding a place to put it, leave it dangling from one ear where it might fall off, etc.

We (the site) have lanyards ..... I'll bring a bunch to the tueday meet up & wednesday breakfast.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5