Author Topic: 2022 SDCC Mask Guidelines  (Read 11395 times)

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
Re: 2022 SDCC Mask Guidelines
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2022, 01:19:07 AM »
It's how you wear a mask that makes a different. N95s won't do anything for you if your mask isn't tight enough and you have leakage. I wear only BYD disposable masks since the beginning and work in a small, no airflow room with prolonged close contact with strangers at work and I haven't gotten sick yet. I traveled to the UK, the land of new variants, a couple of months ago and zero people wearing masks around me and I was fine. I feel pretty safe as long as I have my mask on. That said, I wonder if I should consider double masking just to create a tighter fit when I'm in big crowds at the con.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2022, 11:09:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That said, I wonder if I should consider double masking just to create a tighter fit when I'm in big crowds at the con.

Fit is critical with any mask.  Since if air leaks around the mask then it's not working very well.  That's the main advantage of a N95.  It's not how well the material filters.  It's the fit.  The material a surgical mask is made from filters pretty well, but it's fit is very loose.  That's why layered masking with a cloth mask over a surgical mask helps.  The surgical mask is the filter and the cloth mask makes it fit better.

Double masking with a N95 is not recommend.  Since another mask on top of a N95 can make the fit worse.  If you want something better than a N95 then that's a P100.  That has better filtration and a much tighter seal.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 03:52:34 PM »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2022, 01:53:02 PM »
Yeah fit is the most important. I see so many people with the KN95s at my work and it's astonishing how poor a fit they seem to be even compared to disposable/surgical ones. I see people who wear glasses in my office and their glasses are constantly fogging up which tells me that there's leakage around their nose area.

I was thinking about double masking only with my BYD disposable masks, not with a N95. But I'm remembering now that I have some extra N95s that I was saving so I should just wear those to the con next week.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did they not require mask? I'm telling you, mask works if you don't want covid. Just make sure it fits correctly and isn't just a piece of cloth. I've really grown used to mine after 2 years. It's just another piece of clothing at this point.

wear a mask to go is ok. No problem

Thinking wearing a cloth mask to protect against omicron or telling people cloth mask work against omicron is not ok.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2022, 04:10:57 PM »
I agree. Cloth masks do nothing. They are for people who don’t want to be wearing a mask in the first place.

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2022, 04:36:47 PM »
Before I moved on to KF94 masks, I loved cloth masks with Marvel or Disney designs as the second mask on top of a surgical style disposable mask. I don’t double mask with the KF94 masks, so I use an ear saver clip for a tighter fit as well as for ear comfort.