Author Topic: Fraudulant badges? Anyone know where to report it?  (Read 3576 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Fraudulant badges? Anyone know where to report it?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 12:44:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dont see how these people are going to get through the covid check, unless the selling flys in to do that before they hand them the badges. I think on ebay you can report it too

There's no correlation to your badge for the covid check.  For many people, they'll have to go through vaccination verification before they even pick up their badges.

Unless you sign a contract with someone it is perfectly legal to sell an item marked not for transfer or not for resale.

You do that when you buy the badges.  It's up to you to read the terms and conditions before you agree to them.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 12:47:05 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »

There's no correlation to your badge for the covid check.  For many people, they'll have to go through vaccination verification before they even pick up their badges.

You do that when you buy the badges.  It's up to you to read the terms and conditions before you agree to them.

And CCI makes you go through the extra step of actually typing AGREE rather than check a box.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:35:34 PM »

Online stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 01:16:22 PM »

And CCI makes you go through the extra step of actually typing AGREE rather than check a box.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Yeah I forgot that was there completely.  That for sure covers their end of the contract, from there it would just be up to how litigious they wanted to be about anyone that breaks it.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2022, 01:23:43 PM »
Yeah I forgot that was there completely.  That for sure covers their end of the contract, from there it would just be up to how litigious they wanted to be about anyone that breaks it.

They don't have to be litigious.  What companies generally do when someone breaks the terms is ban them for life.  That's what Meta does.  That's what Paypal does.  It would be easy for SDCC to figure out who's selling the badges.  They can buy them.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 02:22:32 PM »
One other thing about badges this year, due to the Covid checks, you actually have to show your Govt ID and it must match the name on any Covid test or documentation you provide. While it doesn't say they will check your badge against this info, one would think this is one way they can can do so this year.

Agreed though that in years past, they have never done anything to check your badge name to who you really are, this year actually presents a way for them to do so. I wonder if the sellers are telling the folks who buy the badges this, I'm guessing not.

Finally, I recall vaguely (although its been awhile) that prior to checking out buying badges, you usually click a box saying that you agree to the terms and conditions for SDCC's policies (which include not selling the badges). That's your contract signing there.

They do not check your badge against your COVID documentation (at least, not at CCSE or WonderCon). You're actually supposed to go through the COVID check before badge pickup, so you may not even have your badge (if it wasn't mailed) before the check.

Online stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 02:42:27 PM »
They don't have to be litigious.  What companies generally do when someone breaks the terms is ban them for life.  That's what Meta does.  That's what Paypal does.  It would be easy for SDCC to figure out who's selling the badges.  They can buy them.
I mean if a scalper got his email/address banned from buying all they would do is open a new email account / set up a new PO Box. (Paypal a little harder to get around as they require identifying info like social security number).  But I digress, people thatwant to break the rules will find a way.  People that are following the rules are usually the ones that pay the price.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2022, 02:53:52 PM »
They do not check your badge against your COVID documentation (at least, not at CCSE or WonderCon). You're actually supposed to go through the COVID check before badge pickup, so you may not even have your badge (if it wasn't mailed) before the check.

Huh. Weird. One would have thought they do badge and Covid check at the same time (or Covid AFTER you pick up your badge). After all, why would you need the Covid check unless you were attending SDCC.

Anyways, I probably should have clarified, that SDCC COULD do a check with your badge and ID like this if they wanted to, but I guess it will remain to be seen if they would this year. If they didn't do this at CCSE or Wondercon, I guess they probably won't at SDCC.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2022, 02:58:00 PM »
Huh. Weird. One would have thought they do badge and Covid check at the same time (or Covid AFTER you pick up your badge). After all, why would you need the Covid check unless you were attending SDCC.

Anyways, I probably should have clarified, that SDCC COULD do a check with your badge and ID like this if they wanted to, but I guess it will remain to be seen if they would this year. If they didn't do this at CCSE or Wondercon, I guess they probably won't at SDCC.

The reason they do the COVID check first is that they won't let you into the convention center (to pick up a badge) without a wristband. They want to keep unchecked people out of the building.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2022, 03:02:36 PM »

Doing the COVID check after the badge check makes sense from an event perspective but not from a COVID perspective. Even if someone turns out not to have a valid badge/showed up on the wrong day/whatever, you still want everyone within the event vicinity to be COVID-safe (I know vax/testing/masks aren't 100%, but you know what I mean). It's more important that everyone on the grounds is COVID-safe than that they're supposed to be there. It's the same "safety perimeter" at most concerts - you go through the metal detector/bag check BEFORE you go through the ticket scanners.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 03:14:17 PM »
Didn't think of it like that. Makes sense now how they do it. Thanks for the clarifications.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 03:22:29 PM »
I mean if a scalper got his email/address banned from buying all they would do is open a new email account / set up a new PO Box. (Paypal a little harder to get around as they require identifying info like social security number).  But I digress, people thatwant to break the rules will find a way.  People that are following the rules are usually the ones that pay the price.

You are leaving out the big identifier, name.  Someone's name and just city is pretty identifying.  Add a full address and it's pretty unique.  Not to mention phone number and credit card number.  If SDCC wants to get serious, there are sophisticated ways to do this.  Which isn't particularly hard since most people leak PII like a sieve.  Paypal doesn't require a SSN unless you receive or are looking like you will receive over $600/year.  But even without a SSN, people have found it's pretty hard to avoid a Paypal or Meta ban now.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
You are leaving out the big identifier, name.  Someone's name and just city is pretty identifying.  Add a full address and it's pretty unique.  Not to mention phone number and credit card number.  If SDCC wants to get serious, there are sophisticated ways to do this.  Which isn't particularly hard since most people leak PII like a sieve.  Paypal doesn't require a SSN unless you receive or are looking like you will receive over $600/year.  But even without a SSN, people have found it's pretty hard to avoid a Paypal or Meta ban now.

Also, even if the scalper has to start a ne Member ID account (which they could likely do) that account will not have pre-reg eligibility, which makes it much more difficult to get badges in the future.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2022, 11:10:34 PM »
Also, even if the scalper has to start a ne Member ID account (which they could likely do) that account will not have pre-reg eligibility, which makes it much more difficult to get badges in the future.

Excellent point.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 11:38:14 AM »

It's not really hard to get around any of those.  Addresses can be played around with, you can use a middle name, you could use an ID that doesn't have your home address tied to it, you can get chinese phone numbers cheap en masse, you can get virtual cards like privacy which allow you to create burner cards, etc.  And realistically at the end of the day I don't think SDCC really cares as much as we do.  It's a business, they want to sell badges. 

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2022, 01:04:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login They make you agree not to transfer badges, they don't permit reselling or scalping, they have third party sites take down badge sales when they find them, they occasionally spot check IDs against badge names, they only allow previous attendees to register in the pre-sale, and they ban people for life for breaking these rules.

Other than creating an entire department devoted to nothing but badge enforcement, I'm not certain what more they could do to prove that they actually *do* care.