Author Topic: Fraudulant badges? Anyone know where to report it?  (Read 3574 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Fraudulant badges? Anyone know where to report it?
« on: July 04, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »
I'm running into a few sites selling badges
anyone know where to report them ?

here's one
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
Re: Fraudulant badges? Anyone know where to report it?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 07:16:28 PM »
Im not sure where to report but i see a feew posting on ebay to

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:34:22 AM »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 10:42:17 PM »
I'm running into a few sites selling badges
anyone know where to report them ?

here's one
Use the Contact Us link on CCI website and send them this link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 07:35:10 AM »
I dont see how these people are going to get through the covid check, unless the selling flys in to do that before they hand them the badges. I think on ebay you can report it too

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:21:06 AM »
How do you know they are fraudulent? 
It's not illegal to sell badges, it is just against SDCC's policies.
Most likely they are real, whoever buys them uses them with no problem...since they almost never check ID.
Unless you know they are fake there isn't really any thing to report.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 08:48:32 AM »
It's fraud because SDCC badges are non-transferrable. If you transfer a badge, it is invalid. So unless the sellers are advertising these as invalid badges that will not actually grant you admission to the Convention, they are misrepresenting what they are selling, which is fraud by definition (although I'm not sure what makes fraud legally actionable).

Whether or not anyone is caught using the badges is irrelevant to whether or not selling them is fraud.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 09:06:07 AM »
Unless you sign a contract with someone it is perfectly legal to sell an item marked not for transfer or not for resale.  That being said....I haven't ever read all the fine print when checking out on the lottery so there may be some wording there that constitutes as signing a contract, like: "upon check out you are signing into a contract to not sell or transfer your badge to another party."  It could be there, and if so it would be up to CCI to bring up court claims for someone in breach of contract.  Not something I have heard of them doing...but it is possible.  This wouldn't be fraud, it would be a breach of contract case.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 09:11:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You're splitting hairs here. You know the forum doesn't endorse purposely violating CCI's policies, and selling your non-transferrable badge is a violation of their policy even if it's not technically illegal. I have not read the fine print when checking out either, but I have read the CCI policy stating that they retain the right to revoke a badge for any reason. Transferring a non-transferrable badge is a pretty obvious reason.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
I have heard stories of them pulling badges and revoking ability to participate in badge sales for not being able to show ID that matches the badge. While this is pretty rare, it does illustrate how CCI feels about such things.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:29:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You're splitting hairs here. You know the forum doesn't endorse purposely violating CCI's policies, and selling your non-transferrable badge is a violation of their policy even if it's not technically illegal. I have not read the fine print when checking out either, but I have read the CCI policy stating that they retain the right to revoke a badge for any reason. Transferring a non-transferrable badge is a pretty obvious reason.
Sorry if I went too far in the weeds.  I am all for this board not allowing badges sales and being against it in general.  I also get that to some it's frustrating to see them for sale (but its always going to happen). I personally just think trying to hunt down people and reporting them is a whole different thing.  And unless you know the sellers name and/or the name on the badge there is not much anyone can report.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:44:02 AM »
In the Badges Terms & Conditions on the CCI site:

By registering for a paid or complimentary Comic-Con badge you agree not to sell, trade, transfer or share your complimentary code, badge confirmation, or badge. In the event that SDCC determines that you have violated this policy, SDCC has the right to cancel your entire badge order and keep any money paid by you.

Confirmations and/or badges that have been sold or provided by anyone other than SDCC will not be honored by SDCC. You must wear and display your badge at all times while onsite and at any official SDCC event.  All badges are the property of SDCC and must be relinquished to SDCC upon request. Comic-Con reserves the right to refuse admission, to refuse service and/or to cancel/revoke your Member ID and/or badge at SDCC’s discretion

They don't really need to go after the sellers or the buyers here, they just need to have the site owner take these listings down.
What we report to CCI is that this site is allowing the sale of SDCC badges so that they can take action if they wish.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 09:48:42 AM »
It's not necessarily about punishing the sellers either - lots of people who want to go to SDCC don't actually know the badges are non-transferrable. So getting the listings taken down protects those people from buying a badge and potentially trying to use it, getting caught by CCI, and getting banned from going to SDCC for years to come.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »
One other thing about badges this year, due to the Covid checks, you actually have to show your Govt ID and it must match the name on any Covid test or documentation you provide. While it doesn't say they will check your badge against this info, one would think this is one way they can can do so this year.

Agreed though that in years past, they have never done anything to check your badge name to who you really are, this year actually presents a way for them to do so. I wonder if the sellers are telling the folks who buy the badges this, I'm guessing not.

Finally, I recall vaguely (although its been awhile) that prior to checking out buying badges, you usually click a box saying that you agree to the terms and conditions for SDCC's policies (which include not selling the badges). That's your contract signing there.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »
From what I remember about buying badges, you have to type in the word AGREE.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 12:29:07 PM »
It's not necessarily about punishing the sellers either - lots of people who want to go to SDCC don't actually know the badges are non-transferrable. So getting the listings taken down protects those people from buying a badge and potentially trying to use it, getting caught by CCI, and getting banned from going to SDCC for years to come.
Yes. I am sure plenty of people don't know that they can't buy a badge from someone else. You will be ID'd if the rfid in your badge doesn't scan. So there is always a risk.

CCI does act on badge sales online when they see them or people report them. They try to get them taken down.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter