Author Topic: D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?  (Read 15122 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We talk about a lack of Avengers presence at Comic-Con - then neglect to remember, it was at Comic-Con 2010 they brought out the entire team for the first time, including the unveiling of Mark Ruffalo, and then the following year, the HeliCarrier set to the Exhibit Hall (complete with movie extras), one week after they had completed shooting on it.

No one is saying Marvel won't have a presence.  I'm saying, that if the previous D23 is any indication, don't be surprised if Marvel skips presenting a movie panel at Comic-Con and elects to present a panel at their parent company-owned D23.

I know we can try and fold in some grand conspiracy but we've now all seen the amount of CGI involved with that movie and, I think, the timing of the panel just did not work out for Comic-Con.

It's no "conspiracy:" Disney was pretty clear in the press that they were not having a Marvel movie panel at Comic-Con in 2011 because they were instead having a big one at D23.  It didn't have anything to do with "the amount of CGI involved" (the stuff they showed at D23 had some heavy special effects scenes)
Here are some articles published online before, during, and after CCI and D23 talking about the actual strategy involved:
/Film from before CCI: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Badass Digest before CCI: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Deadline Hollywood during D23: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Conversely, in 2010 Marvel brought Captain America after Cap had been shooting for literally less than a week: they played an entire edited scene (with rough animatics at times)!  Marvel knows how to 'play' the convention crowds and how to get maximum exposure.  Disney also knows they want to have the same revenue as CCI, and the same amount of fans going to D23.

As for Guardians..., I agree - it's too risky a project and an unknown quantity to not preview whenever and wherever they can - 2013's Hall H 'Iron Man'-like sizzle reveal, perhaps? Maybe, if they get enough done in London in time...

That would be awesome, but Guardians is pretty CGI heavy: more so than any other Marvel movie so far by a LOT.  And again, if they were to do something I wouldn't be surprised if it's at D23 and not CCI.

And, again, it makes a TON of sense to hype the snot out of it at 2014 Comic-Con.  Studios are starting to see a trend that hyping a movie close to release sees a better payoff than hyping something a year out.  It makes a LOT more sense to hype Thor 2, hitting in the fall of 2013, and maybe even Winter Soldier, hitting the following spring because those will be most close to done & in heavy "promotion mode" (especially Thor 2). 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
And again, I might literally jump up & down clapping/cheering if I'm wrong.  I'd LOVE nothing more than to be wrong about this!!  Knowing Disney, is it any surprise that they want a piece of the 'big convention' pie?  And they quickly realized, "hey, more people will come to D23 if we skip CCI & hold those film panels at our own Con instead!"  I have several friends in the press, and regular fans, who ONLY attended D23 because they wanted to check out the Marvel and PIXAR & Disney Animation film panels.  For me, I was going to go if I didn't secure 2013 CCI tickets, knowing I'd at least likely see a full day of awesome film panels.

Seriously, I WANT to be wrong!  Knowing that Disney did what they did, got a LOT more people to come to D23 in 2011 than attended in 2009 AND seeing AVENGERS be the third highest grossing film of all time, I can't fathom any logical reason for them to change their strategy in 2013.  Disney isn't exactly enamored with, "well, it would be cool for the fans if we did panels at both conventions, even at the possible expense of losing customers for D23."  All they care about is turning a higher profit (which is fine - they are a corporation), and with that in mind I can't think of why they'd change course from 2011.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:53:04 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »
Also REALLY annoying, and possibly an indicator of Disney's plans for bringing their Comic-Con friendly properties to CCI in 2013:

According to this article written the week of D23 Expo in 2011 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

* D23 prices in 2011 - $47 for adults and $37 for children each day
* D23 prices in 2011 for 3-Day - $136 for adults and $106 for children

vs

* D23 prices in 2013 - $57 for adults and $47 for children each day (children = kids 3-12, who would be FREE at CCI)
* D23 prices in 2013 for 3-Day - $166 for adults and $136 for children

Can't imagine at those prices Disney is going to be changing their strategy  :-\

Yzrfan

D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
The first D23, they had to give tickets away to cast members to up the daily attendance.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
I was actually worried about this as well but I wanted to throw this out there:

The year they had Avengers at D23, they did skip SDCC BUT they did attend New York Comic Con (Best. Panel. Ever.). So just because they attend "their own" convention doesn't mean they'll skip all other Cons.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »
For those that have gone before to D23, is it worth the price?
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
I think people have to remember that The Avengers was still in the very early stages of shooting during the con in 2011, there was simply more footage that they would be able to show when D23 rolled around. This year is an entirely different situation. Thor TDW will be well into post production when the con rolls around this year and it makes no sense to pass up the opportunity to get publicity at a much more extensively covered convention.

Disney does always try to reward there loyal fans, but they don't normally do it in a way that will cut off potential revenue gains. We need to keep in mind the circumstances of each years panels, rather than paining it as a set strategy without enough evidence to dictate a pattern.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »
I think people have to remember that The Avengers was still in the very early stages of shooting during the con in 2011, there was simply more footage that they would be able to show when D23 rolled around.
Did you see my previous post addressing this?  A couple of facts to refute this assertion:

1) in 2010 Captain America had been shooting literally less than a week: 5, maybe 6 days (including, as the director said, the day the flew to San Diego).  Yet Marvel screened an entire edited scene at Comic-Con.  In other words, Marvel knew they wanted to cause a huge hype at Comic-Con so they quickly edited a scene (with quite a bit of CGI that wasn't close to finished so they used animatics instead) for a panel.

2) at D23 in 2011 was August 19—21.  Comic-Con was July 21—24.  While that is a month later, that difference is still fairly negligible, especially given the fact that in 2010 they screened an entire edited scene.

This year is an entirely different situation. Thor TDW will be well into post production when the con rolls around this year and it makes no sense to pass up the opportunity to get publicity at a much more extensively covered convention.

Disney does always try to reward there loyal fans, but they don't normally do it in a way that will cut off potential revenue gains. We need to keep in mind the circumstances of each years panels, rather than paining it as a set strategy without enough evidence to dictate a pattern.

That would be nice, and it's true that there have only been two D23 Expos which don't necessarily make a trend.  I do think, however, it's more than circumstantial to stipulate that Disney will hold off on a Marvel (as well as Disney Studios & PIXAR) panel.  We'll know come July

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
Some more speculation:

Given Disney's past trend in holding off on Marvel panels in order to make a bigger splash for their own D23 Expo, will they do the same for Lucasfilm stuff?  Will they hold off on a Clone Wars panel?  Or, god forbid, an EPISODE VII panel?!

I don't know.  It would add a ton of hype for them to add Star Wars programming to their D23 Expo

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
For those that have gone before to D23, is it worth the price?

If you are a Disney fan, it's worth going.  It's a bit pricy to go, and if you go I'd go only on Saturday (the exhibit hall is all Disney stuff and nothing like CCI's exhibit hall).  They had really cool programming in 2011 on Saturday.  Michael Giacchino had a really cool panel, and then of course the movie panels.  But most of the panels were Disney stuff (like "Meet the creator of Disney princess stuff," lots of Disney Channel show panels, panels about pin trading, vinylmation trading, etc).  I'm a Disney annual passholder who goes to Disneyland a LOT, but I have little interest in most of that stuff.

For me personally, I would have to pay over $100 just for my son and I to attend: that to me isn't worth it.  Descriptions of the cooler panels will hit the web pretty quick, and that's good enough for me (and cheaper). 

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
Thanks perc. Will keep an eye on the programming and see if anything looks intriguing. Figured it'd be more Disney than nerdy but thought I'd ask.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
Thanks perc. Will keep an eye on the programming and see if anything looks intriguing. Figured it'd be more Disney than nerdy but thought I'd ask.

Here's 2011 schedule for reference:

Offline taigirl87

• Room 6BCF
    • Two Married Geeks
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
If I wasn't going to comic-con I would either be going to D23 or to Walt Disney World. I am a major Disney fan, and was actually a cast member at Walt Disney World for two school semesters on their college program. I have missed the last two D23's and would still love to go, but comic-con is first priority. I will take my Disney World trip later in the fall or early next spring to get that fix, but I know that Comic-con will be an amazing experience!

I do expect to be a little jealous of those at D23 though still.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
If I wasn't going to comic-con I would either be going to D23 or to Walt Disney World. I am a major Disney fan, and was actually a cast member at Walt Disney World for two school semesters on their college program. I have missed the last two D23's and would still love to go, but comic-con is first priority. I will take my Disney World trip later in the fall or early next spring to get that fix, but I know that Comic-con will be an amazing experience!

I do expect to be a little jealous of those at D23 though still.

Do you like Disneyland as much as Disney World?  I grew up in the mid-west and had been to Disney World maybe half a dozen times before moving to So CA.  I've had a Disneyland Annual Pass for 4 or 5 years now and I do enjoy going there frequently with the family.  I know Disney World is significantly bigger (I haven't been there since the animal park thing opened, and maybe only once since Hollywood/MGM Studios has opened).  I kinda love the old-schoolness of Disneyland, and California Adventures has really started shaping up to be a pretty cool park.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:02 AM »
Interesting fact: Disneyland has more attractions (barely) in 2 parks than DisneyWorld does in 4 parks.