Author Topic: CCI 2015 Ace Parking  (Read 69401 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: CCI 2015 Ace Parking
« Reply #495 on: June 03, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
Got this email.

This is a reminder that the site will be open to sale the remaining inventory for CCI parking, the sale will go live Monday June 8th mid-morning. We want to make your parking permit purchase process smooth and easy.
As a reminder we want to point out the simple procedures below that you will need to follow.

1.        Make sure you login/create your account before you try to purchase your parking permit.
2.        Once logged into the system click on “upcoming events” choose San Diego as the city.
3.        Select the number of days you would like to purchase parking for by clicking on the square icons.
4.        Proceed to purchase and you are done.
5.        If you have any problems with the purchase please view attachment.

ACE Parking reservation link and instructions

Purchase parking here ---> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Follow our FAQ page at -->  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thank you
-The Ace Parking Team

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #496 on: June 04, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"Comic-Con is posting parking information as a service to our attendees and the city of San Diego. Comic-Con has nothing to do with parking for the event. The sale, pricing, and allocation of parking spaces are all controlled by the individual companies that own the parking lots.

ACE Parking offered a lottery-system sale for their lots in April, which they announced independently on their website. They will open their system to the public again to sell any remaining parking spaces. For more information on the date and time of that sale, visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login "

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #497 on: Today at 05:26:47 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #497 on: June 04, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »

"Comic-Con is posting parking information as a service to our attendees and the city of San Diego. Comic-Con has nothing to do with parking for the event. The sale, pricing, and allocation of parking spaces are all controlled by the individual companies that own the parking lots.

ACE Parking offered a lottery-system sale for their lots in April, which they announced independently on their website. They will open their system to the public again to sell any remaining parking spaces. For more information on the date and time of that sale, visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login "

Wow. All of that is, of course absolutely true... but does it strike anyone else as sort of cowardly and cold to post that statement this far after the fact? Especially considering just having the "parking" page as part of their site seems to imply that they will be posting helpful information on it.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #498 on: June 04, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
I agree. Their site said for months that parking information was 'coming soon' and now this? That's really a slap in the face. There's no way CCI didn't know about the fact that parking already went on sale.

Offline KevsterSD

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #499 on: June 04, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #500 on: June 04, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
Wow. All of that is, of course absolutely true... but does it strike anyone else as sort of cowardly and cold to post that statement this far after the fact? Especially considering just having the "parking" page as part of their site seems to imply that they will be posting helpful information on it.

IDK; at this point only Convention Center is sold out, so there is a TON of parking open to the general public.
What if CCI & ACE got into it a bit 'offline' and CCI didn't necessarily want to promote ACE heavily on their website?  Maybe CCI is not a fan of ACE hiking up their prices and doesn't want to give them free advertisement/business?  Maybe ACE asked them NOT to promote it because ACE was worried their half-arsed system couldn't handle the immense pressure of 100k+ people trying to get parking.

What I'm saying is there are a TON of reasons why CCI was a bit more low-key about ACE parking.  We are in the last day or two of the "Group" sales and the ONLY stuff that was available for sale to the public that is sold out is Convention Center.  Everything else is open right now, and will likely remain open when ACE puts everything up next Monday.  They're giving the internet-reading public a half-week's notice that general parking will go on sale to ALL next week, so anyone who needs parking that wasn't part of the Group sales can have their choice of almost ALL available ACE parking pre-sales.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #501 on: June 04, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
It's not that I don't think they had a reason for doing it this way, but I still think there were definitely more attendee-friendly ways to go. Even, just, posting this exact same statement 3 months ago. Or removing the "parking" page from their site entirely.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #502 on: June 04, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
It's not that I don't think they had a reason for doing it this way, but I still think there were definitely more attendee-friendly ways to go. Even, just, posting this exact same statement 3 months ago. Or removing the "parking" page from their site entirely.

Agreed. They knew this was going on, so they shouldn't have kept the 'information coming soon.' on their webpage. If they didn't want to post or promote Ace, they should have just removed the page entirely.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #503 on: June 04, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
Agreed. They knew this was going on, so they shouldn't have kept the 'information coming soon.' on their webpage. If they didn't want to post or promote Ace, they should have just removed the page entirely.
I guess; it's cool of them to post ACE info now to give folks a head's up regarding next week.  I've seen plenty of people on FB and Twitter who are seemingly clueless in regards to parking, so CCI giving them a link isn't a bad thing. 

All I was saying is there are a plethora of reasons why CCI has promoted ACE parking in this way, and automatically taking the "that's crappy of CCI" route isn't logical w/out all of the information.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #504 on: June 04, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
I try to maintain faith in CCI and stick up for them. I understand they have complex considerations to take into account. But their intentions, no matter how good, don't change the outcome of their actions. And considering how many "clueless" people ARE out there waiting for information, this still seems crappy to me. If you're a newbie, and not all over social media, you might reasonably assume that the "parking" page on CCI's site was the place to go for up-to-date information. And if you have mobility issues or giant cosplays, today you might be very disappointed to see that CCI has finally updated the page - far too late for you to get Convention Center parking, which you were really hoping for. Sure, CCI was doing their best and didn't intend to screw you over - but I'd bet you're still feeling sort of screwed.

Besides, if some CCI staffers do read these forums, hopefully they'll take this as constructive criticism: there are better ways to do this.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #505 on: June 04, 2015, 01:47:23 PM »
I wonder if ACE even informed CCI about their pre-sale 'lottery' type system?  Things seemed like at least a slight cluster, with ACE contradicting themselves a few times in responses, stating "service fees" are one prices and then backing down and charging slightly less, etc.  It wouldn't surprise if ACE kind of went a bit half-cocked with their 'lottery' process: a sort of "figure things out as we go along" type of operation.  It's possible CCI wasn't aware of what was happening until after the sign-up had ended and then at that point, it's much better to just wait until closer to the general sales.  CCI could've left the place-holder of "parking" knowing they'd put info up at the general sales, but if things happened w/out CCI's input or with ACE not notifying CCI sufficiently, it's much better, IMO, to not create more of a panic if it's not necessary.  At this point there is still a TON of parking, trolley, shuttle service, etc. available to everyone beginning June 8 (more parking than I would've guessed) & I think this is not really that big of a deal.  I don't ever recall CCI announcing parking going on sale before hand, though I could be mistaken.

I guess I'm with CCI in the sense that it's not their responsibility AT ALL to give constant updates on matter not their domain: just like they didn't update regarding Matty Collector pre-sales.  Advertising for ACE, when CCI has a GREAT service w/the shuttle & a good relationship with the city in regards to public transportation, is a side benefit for their attendees, not really a required service: they don't have to hold everyone's hands about EVERY aspect of the convention, certainly not when it comes to advertising another for-profit company to help another company's business.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #506 on: June 04, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
Agree completely that the lion's share of the blame belongs to Ace Parking.

Also agree that CCI is under no obligation to provide this information.

But, IMO, having the "parking" page creates an expectation of it having the most relevant, official information. If CCI can't or doesn't want to provide that, then they should delete the page, or make it a static page that says, "We do not administer parking. There are many convenient lots around San Diego. Parking at the convention center itself is handled by Ace Parking."

Half-measures just confuse everybody.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #507 on: June 04, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
I have no problem with them waiting until the general sale. That lottery was a half-baked fiasco I wouldn't have wanted the appearance of being involved with......and once they post it, they are involved and start getting hammered with emails and complaints even if they say a million times that they have nothing to do with it, because it is on their page.

I wouldn't have posted about it until general sale either. Plenty of parking left, even at Bayfront by all accounts. That lottery really just messed things up.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #508 on: June 04, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
I have no problem with them waiting until the general sale. That lottery was a half-baked fiasco I wouldn't have wanted the appearance of being involved with......and once they post it, they are involved and start getting hammered with emails and complaints even if they say a million times that they have nothing to do with it, because it is on their page.

I wouldn't have posted about it until general sale either. Plenty of parking left, even at Bayfront by all accounts. That lottery really just messed things up.

I totally agree with you!  CCI keeping the "parking" page open as a placeholder seems logical, since at the very least I assumed they would post about the ACE general sale (which is clearly when the majority of parking-buyers would likely purchase pre-paid parking anyway since only 3k max went into the Group sales).  Crappy, IMO, would be if CCI said nothing until after Bayfront sells out in the general sales.  If we're being fair (or even blunt), CCI has a TON of their own business they need to get together/inform the public about: shuttle schedules, new venues & locations being used, area/local maps around Convention Center that has food & entertainment options, and oh yeah, scheduling for ALL of the SDCCI events (panels, film festival, art show, anime, gaming stuff, artist alley, etc).  I don't fault CCI for waiting until after the lottery bluster cuss ($.02 to Fantastic Mr. Fox) ends, but BEFORE general sales begin, to put a link & parking update on their site: they can't keep a running tab on all 3rd party interests (like the Funko Friday ticket sales: I bet a TON of people would've liked to have heard a head's up from CCI about that start of that).

I guess we all can agree to disagree.  The dust seems to have settle on ACE's Group sales and we'll see how much of a huge demand there is for parking in the next few weeks (i.e. what else will sell out once the sales go to the general public).

For those who haven't gotten parking yet, everything but convention center parking & a few business lots are still available all days.  Trolly rules for the most part, and there will likely be plenty of shuttle service throughout the week

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #509 on: June 04, 2015, 04:32:26 PM »
JMHO, but there's a huge difference between parking and Funko Fridays. Funko Fridays are an offsite event that has nothing to do with SDCC. Parking is a legitimate concern for many people who have actual badges to SDCC and plan to use the parking to attend the convention itself. You cannot compare the two situations.

I agree the lottery was a mess (I think pretty much everyone does) and I would be willing to bet that the only reason Hilton Bayfront parking still seems to be around is because of the mess the lottery created. Remember, even Ace estimated that the Bayfront would be gone by the end of Group 3. So CCI didn't know what would be left (if anything) after the lottery groups went through. I still maintain that they should have updated with 'Ace is working on parking, here's a link to their site.' or taken down the parking page. It's easy to leave it 'up' but not visible to the general public. Parking is, for many, a necessary and important part of attending the convention. For locals, it is equivalent to 'hotel', because this is how they get to the con.

And yes, IIRC, in prior years, CCI posted more information about the parking situation... before parking passes actually went on sale.