Author Topic: DCEU biggest studio debacle of 21st century?!  (Read 3953 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: DCEU biggest studio debacle of 21st century?!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
THE FLASH update:
Ezra Miller was on the WB lot shooting pickups one day recently, with WB seemingly going full steam ahead with its plan to release the film early summer 2023.
Read a little about the pickup shoot here:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 10:43:58 AM »
And here's a recent article that details how WB's head of DC productions is the "best job in Hollywood no one wants"
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:51:52 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 08:20:57 AM »
Well, if I've s&#^ talked WB for their handling of DC property I've GOT to give them credit when they do something great: no, this is legit inspired!!

Writer/Director (and sometime actor) James Gunn & producer Peter Safran (AQUAMAN; Gunn's THE SUICIDE SQUAD & Peacemaker; Conjuring series; among others) to Lead Film, TV and Animation Division; they will report directly to WB Discover head David Zaslav and assume the title of co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Studios.

It had been talked about behind the scenes that Zaslav was looking for a "Kevin Feigi type," someone with creative experience, that could oversee all aspects of the DC film universe, and I'd say they came up with a great duo!  Gunn will oversee the creative side, while Safran will oversee the production side.  Gunn has shown he can expertly play in the comic book genre, not only with the PG-13 rated GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY series, but also the (very) R-rated SUICIDE SQUAD & Peacemaker spinoff (not to mention his non-comic book adaptation movie SUPER, and his VERY Justice League International-esque writing/acting turn with THE SPECIALS).  Gunn also has producing experience, not only with smaller films but he worked quite a bit behind the scenes with Marvel Studios for their phase 3, 'consulting' story and character elements for several films, but he also flat-out Executive Produced INFINITY WAR & ENDGAME!
And Safran is no slouch either, with a very robustly successful resume of films he's produced that have made billions.

This is a great move with VERY proven talent.  Reportedly these two will be the final word when it comes to greenlighting films and shepherding production, which will go a long way with convincing creative talent to come make DC films.  Comic fans should be hyped with the thought that some of those less-mainstream characters may be getting their own big budget film or streaming series now, as well as knowing that characters like Superman will likely get handled with care and hue closer to the comics iteration (Gunn is an avowed comic nerd).

Now, I'm clearly a James Gunn fanboy, so I'm hyped that he's been given a huge responsibility that should work out favorably for everyone: fans, creatives, as well as the studio's finances.  The article states Gunn will still direct and make his own projects during this time (a four year exclusive deal) so fans of his films will still see his own work: he's been working on Season 2 of Peacemaker for awhile now at the very least.  And one thing's for sure, it's gonna be REAL interesting when he's doing press for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY vol. 3 while also working exclusively for what's now DC Studios.

So while WB has made themselves quite a mess to clean up with their DC movie universe, they've installed leadership that will definitely have a creative vision and bring them the closest to Marvel Studios that, I think, any other competitive studio has been able to get thus far.  I legit now can't wait to see what DC Studios does going forward (THE FLASH and its sequel, as well as the AQUAMAN sequel and BLUE BEETLE films are already done, and THE JOKER sequel falls outside of this arrangement as its not a part of the DC universe and more of an "Elseworlds" storyline)

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2022, 09:41:40 AM »
My only, *only* con to this, is that so far, all of JG's properties have been on the humorous side.  It'd be nice to see some range in the DCU, but if it turns into just a bunch of properties being all comedy-focused...I dunno...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:51:07 AM by Michael M »
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2022, 05:42:50 PM »
My only, *only* con to this, is that so far, all of JG's properties have been on the humorous side.  It'd be nice to see some range in the DCU, but if it turns into just a bunch of properties being all comedy-focused...I dunno...
You mean like the way the Marvel Universe is trending now.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
True, but his (albeit relatively limited) comic adaptations vary quite a bit form his non-comic adaptations.  For example, as a writer he wrote the 2004 DAWN OF THE DEAD remake, as well as writing/directing SLITHER & SUPER: while both of those had some comedy in it, the comedy was mostly used to balance the horror (SLITHER) or dark psyche of the main characters (SUPER).  His writing/producing output recently, BRIGHTBURN & BELKO EXPERIMENT, on the other hand, were straight-up genre movies.  BRIGHTBURN was a flat-out horror movie (mixed with superhero/comic undertones in a "what if Superman had a bad mindset and turned evil instead of world-savior), and BELKI was a bit of horror mixed with drama and a tinge of sci-fi.  While BELKO EXPERIMENT has some humor from characters, both of those films are pretty dark/serious: as is SLITHER & SUPER. 

I agree that thematically he does seem to like 1)ensemble movies and 2)characters that are often misfits of some sort.  I do think he's the type that will let creatives have plenty of space to let their own voices shine in their films, while helping behind the scenes to ensure tight story and character developments (as well as, likely, some sort of continuity maybe).  I can get how non-fanboys would want to see a more serious tone with DC mainstays like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. and I suspect that as big of a fan as Gunn is of comics, he will almost certainly maintain the heart and themes of each of the characters he's involved with.

A more interesting thought, is the "Marvel Studios Way" generally maintains similar look, production schedules, sometimes feeling 'formulaic' as far movie storybeats and what not.  I'll be curious to see if Gunn and Safran try to get DC to have a similar "are movies look very similar stylistically" or if they will let the filmmakers have freedom to do whatever.  Gunn has always struck me as an "outside-the-box" type of creative, where he rides a fine line between keeping his voice strong while also not straying from the studio a ton.  It's maybe hard to remember nowadays, but the GotG film felt tonally quite a bit different from the first batch of Marvel films: it still stayed true-to-formula, to an extent, but that ensemble + humor (which fits those characters to a T) was pretty fresh when the first film opened: almost felt like "Joss Whedon character dialog on steroids" maybe to the uninitiated.  Also remember that he was a significant 'influence'/voice on INFINITY WAR & ENDGAME (particularly on the cosmic side of things for those films), and that film definitely felt like a 'Russo Bros film' FAR more than a Gunn film.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 10:34:08 AM »
You mean like the way the Marvel Universe is trending now.
That is interesting, and I heard from an inside Marvel Studios 'source' part of that tone is in contrast to the 'darker' DCEU movies from the (mostly) Zach Snyder era, as well as JOKER.  Obviously post-Snyder DC films has SHAZAAM! which would feel right-at-home with the lighter Marvel films tonally, as well as AQUAMAN, Wonder Woman sequel, and presumably BLACK ADAM (which I haven't seen yet).  The source also told me that tone also appeals to a broader audience which means more ticket sales.  There's a reason my parents didn't care for any of the Snyder-era DC stuff, but generally really like all of the Marvel stuff, and it's not because they have any care or knowledge of the comic properties.  I agree with few exceptions Marvel Studios seems to like to keep things light and jokey, but juggling tone in a superhero movie where creatives are dealing with a TON of CGI and outlandish story developments, I think the humor helps to balance things out and make situations a little more relatable for the average non-comic nerd moviegoers (remember, these have to appeal to people like my parents and not just cater to the built-in comic fans if they want to make profits and guarantee more films).

I do think Marvel has done a pretty good job of letting great directors' voices shine through in their films: BLACK PANTHER is very much a Ryan Googler film thematically and tonally, and even the Doctor Strange sequel feels 100% like a Sam Raimi movie.  To be a little blunt, I think stronger, more confident directors' voices shine through and add distinction to their films moreso than less-accomplished.  Even ETERNALS directors Chloé Zhao, who had never directed a huge effects-driven film before, had her distinct character ethos - some of the scenic shots have her trademark look too (less so than other directors).  Marvel likes to skew back-and-forth between TV-established directors who can shoot a movie quick, on-budget, and work/trust their production team to get their jobs done, while also hiring stronger film directors like Coogler, Gunn, etc. who get their vision across tonally far more.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 12:53:03 PM »
OK, I'm sounding like James Gunn's publicist, and I apologize if I'm too fanboy-esque here; his writing & directing styles are sooooo my jam and having met him a few times he seems like a great guy (especially nowadays; quite awhile ago he had a very different vibe) and I'm really hyped for him personally to get this awesome gig, as well as as a fan of DC comics to see what he can do to help WB get its act together and make consistently good DC comics films.  I personally think DC was on track post-Snyder and I've generally liked more of their stuff than I've disliked (where as I kind of liked Snyder's output, but when I've tried to revisit those films from MAN OF STEEL through the first SUICIDE SQUAD it's hard for me not to get hung up on those films' myriad of flaws).

Anyway, long story shot (too late, I know), this is a great move for WB and I look forward to the next several years of DC Studios' film development!!

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2022, 03:22:54 PM »
Agree w/all that was said, and who knows, until we start to see real, tangible output from this new relationship.

I do see range on the Marvel side...look at Werewolf by Night, She-Hulk, and then their "normal" properties...while I don't believe that they lean hard one way or another, they do lean in those directions at times.  I think tho the fact that they have multiple properties that run the range help them there.  WB/DC doesn't have that flexibility yet.

WB/DC has nowhere to go except up, so, let's hope that JG & Co. can help right the ship. I will say that I did enjoy Black Adam, and I'll not add to that cause, you know, spoilers, but I do hope that they can really bring more to the table.

Now, as for humorous...if we got James Gunn at the helm of a Blue Devil movie? $#!7, sign me up for that!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2022, 11:15:46 PM »
I kinda agree with everything said so far, both the positive and negative.  I’d say I’m a fan of Gunn, but not a fanboy.

There are a bunch of questions I’m dying to know:

1) How much of an impact will he have on already-filmed but not yet releases movies, like Flash & Aquaman 2. Will he be wanting reshoots to have those films fit more in line with his overarching vision?

2) Will there be any kind of reboot or reset? I know Flash is rumored to have such a reset already, but will he try to expand upon it or maybe scale it back?

3) Will he unshelve Batgirl? Or perhaps have it refilmed?

4) Will the non-DCEU films continue (aka Joker & The Batman)?

5) Will he try to poach MCU filmmakers & actors? If GotG3 is indeed the last with this crew, one or more of the characters may be killed off, so…

6) Will he save all the big reveals for Hall H SDCC 2023??

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2022, 06:50:01 AM »
I kinda agree with everything said so far, both the positive and negative.  I’d say I’m a fan of Gunn, but not a fanboy.

1) How much of an impact will he have on already-filmed but not yet releases movies, like Flash & Aquaman 2. Will he be wanting reshoots to have those films fit more in line with his overarching vision?

2) Will there be any kind of reboot or reset? I know Flash is rumored to have such a reset already, but will he try to expand upon it or maybe scale it back?

5) Will he try to poach MCU filmmakers & actors? If GotG3 is indeed the last with this crew, one or more of the characters may be killed off, so…

The last point above by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login really makes me excited (kinda?) for Hall H next year...if they just run w/this and do something to help us all understand how they're going to re-set the stage, all during a Saturday panel? You want kick ass positive coverage, you do that.  That would be awesome.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 01:54:07 PM »

1) I don't think he'll have much/anything to do/say about anything already completed (SHAZAM! sequel, AQUAMAN sequel, Flash movie), though he will potentially have a hand it how they're marketed, maybe edited/reshoots down the stretch for films further at (I'm looking at you, FLASH). It was explicitly stated that the JOKER sequel will NOT fall under DC Studios purview since it's an "Elseworlds" story (and likely has more than enough cache for the creatives behind that one to demand autonomy)
2) will be interesting to find out; with FLASH seemingly opening up the multiverse possibilities they'll likely have freedom to do whatever they think works.  With the Superman cameo in the extra scene of BLACK ADAM, it feels like they're "getting the band back together" to some respect.  I'm legit VERY curious to see what they do myself, since they have a hit in Aquaman, Wonder Woman, a popular Superman actor from the Snyder movies, and now a popular Batman in Pattinson.
3) that may not be his call: that was a WB Discovery decision that (seemingly, depending on whom you listen to/read) was a pure tax type of cash-in/write-off that was part of Discovery's deal of buying WB (they had to find ways to nearly immediately shave several hundred million, if not a billion or so, dollars off of WB's debt)
4) JOKER sequel absolutely: it won Oscars and was fairly acclaimed and like I said, it's more of an unstoppable force at this point with casting already finalized and likely about to go into production.  THE BATMAN was a financial hit for WB and will certainly get its sequel: whether or not that is part of DC Studios (seemed to be) is a slight question, with how it may fit into the overall shared universe a more apt question that I'm curious about
5) I suspect Gunn will recruit any filmmakers/writers/producers/creatives that he thinks will work well with whatever studio system he has in mind.  Marvel Studios has a huge slate of already-announced films in various stages of production and I suspect many of them already of behind-the-scenes creatives attached to many of them.  For example, Destin Daniel Cretton, SHANG-CHI director, is already attached to a SHANG-CHI sequel as well as AVENGERS: KANG DYNASTY
6) I think Gunn knows how to hype his properties in Hall H, and it seems plausible he'll continue to do so provided WB Discovery lets him (ie finances it all).  WB did a fun job with BLACK ADAM in Hall H a few months ago, as did Gunn w/GotG vol 3 so that feels like a good match to me!  I'm excited for the future possibilities

The last point above by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login really makes me excited (kinda?) for Hall H next year...if they just run w/this and do something to help us all understand how they're going to re-set the stage, all during a Saturday panel? You want kick ass positive coverage, you do that.  That would be awesome.
I totally agree that has their plans solidify it would behoove WB/DC Studios to make a HUGE splash announcing their plans: be it SDCC Hall H or their own FanDome thing, after the last several years they're going to want/need to to something huge to get attention and hype their fans (as well as normal people, like my parents)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2022, 07:45:46 PM »
Since I'm apparently updating DC Studios info nowadays, here's a great twitter thread from Studio Head James Gunn (seriously: that is REALLY weird/incredibly cool to type out/say) where he expresses gratitude towards vocal "Ayer Cut of SUICIDE SQUAD" zealots, as well as expressing that
"...all our initial focus is on the story going forward, hammering out the new DCU, & telling the Biggest Story Ever Told across multiple films, television shows, & animated projects."
That's a pretty bold proclamation, broad as it is at this moment, but something I'd think fans of DC comics should be really excited about.  I know we've heard both studio suits AND creatives talk about grand DC plans before but I have faith in Gunn's vision/ideas moreso than anyone in the past since Christopher Nolan (I was cautiously optimistic with Zach Snyder, as his stuff runs hot or cold with me, and while I neither loved nor hated what he did with the DCEU I _did_ appreciate he went with different ideas, I guess).

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 04:47:02 AM »
Since I'm apparently updating DC Studios info nowadays, here's a great twitter thread from Studio Head James Gunn (seriously: that is REALLY weird/incredibly cool to type out/say) where he expresses gratitude towards vocal "Ayer Cut of SUICIDE SQUAD" zealots, as well as expressing that That's a pretty bold proclamation, broad as it is at this moment, but something I'd think fans of DC comics should be really excited about.  I know we've heard both studio suits AND creatives talk about grand DC plans before but I have faith in Gunn's vision/ideas moreso than anyone in the past since Christopher Nolan (I was cautiously optimistic with Zach Snyder, as his stuff runs hot or cold with me, and while I neither loved nor hated what he did with the DCEU I _did_ appreciate he went with different ideas, I guess).
Couple things I pulled out of that:
...hammering out the new DCU...
This sounds like all things that came before are kinda poof...and almost reads clean-slate to me.  Sure there were some great films (most of the Batman ones) but my first take on this, right or wrong, was that he's got a vision, and it's got nothing to do w/what came prior. Maybe we'll start talking about DC films like Star Wars timeline (BBY/ABY) as BDCU and ADCU :D

...across multiple films, television shows, & animated projects...
To me, this screams cohesion.  While the movie properties, tv and animation shows were, by design, separate, it'll be nice to see a broader and more cohesive story overall through their "new world".

I really do hope that JG knocks it out of the park...I'm not getting tired of the Marvel stuff, but man, DC needs a win here.  I for one will be at the front of the line when Gunn's stuff starts coming out.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2023, 12:00:33 PM »
Now DC Studio heads James Gunn & Peter Safran have released their upcoming slate:
MOVIES
* Superman: Legacy, July 11, 2025 - the only project with a release date announced.  Gunn said they won't set a release date until the script is ready, and if the script is ready he's fine pushing-back a release. 
“It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing,”
Safran said.
“He is the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way. He is kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old-fashioned.”
  Gunn is writing the project, and Safran said he hopes Gunn
“can be persuaded, perhaps, to direct it as well.”
* The Authority - Superman: Legacy will lead directly into “The Authority,” an ensemble movie about superhumans who have a less-than-idealistic approach to saving the world; the characters come from Wildstorm
* The Brave and the Bold - this movie introduces the DC continuity Batman, along with the DCMU 'Bat family,' including Damian Wayne/Robin.  Grant Morrison's run was name-dropped: a run that had Damian born via Talia al Ghul _drugging_ Bruce and impregnating herself w/out him knowing.  Gunn eluded to at least a version of that, where Batman didn't know he had a son for the first 10 or so years of Damian's life, by saying "it’s a very strange sort of father-son story about the two of them."  I suspect DC/WB will retcon that...kind of messy origin, though maybe not?
* Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - as Gunn said,
“We see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he’s an infant, versus Supergirl, who was raised on a rock chip off of Krypton, and watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life.”
. Gunn name-dropped Tom King here: a comics writer who 1) had a great run with this particular book and 2) was very involved in the DCU writer's room.  Specifically what his contributions may be is unknown at this time, and while I know plenty of comics fans who aren't fans of King, it's undeniable he's had some great books. 
* Swamp Thing - interesting one to me, but I loved the original Wes Craven film and look forward to a modernized version (I never saw the more recent streaming series).  Gunn referenced the initial reactions to the Guardians of the Galaxy joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe and initial questions about how Rocket Raccoon would work standing next to Thor. “That mashup quality” wound up being one of the highlights of “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame,” Gunn argued.  “This is a much more horrific film, but we’ll still have Swamp Thing interact with the other characters,” he added.  I personally _LOVED_ the recent Marvel/Disney+ Werewolf By Night, and look forward to Gunn bringing a bit of the horror element to DC!

TV SERIES (not necessarily HBO Max - could be any other streaming service, depending...)
* Creature Commandos - animated, and the first series green-lit.  The Creature Commando characters were first launched in 1980. The premise features Frankenstein’s monster teaming up with a werewolf, a vampire and a gorgon to fight Nazis in World War II. It doesn’t appear that Gunn’s version takes quite the same approach — Weasel, one of the characters from Gunn’s 2021 film “The Suicide Squad,” is one of the Commandos, along with Rick Flag’s father, Rick Flag Sr.  I don't know much about this one, other than googling Weasel when The Suicide Squad dropped a few years ago, but it sounds very interesting.  Superhero animated series can be a BLAST, as the Disney+ "What If" series has shown, as well as the prime "Invincible" series: no budget constraints so sky's the limit as far as what the creators want to do with their corner of the DCU world
* Waller - fascinating to me (though not a bad thing in the least) that Viola Davis' character is 'surviving' the change-over.  BUT, this also means Peacemaker s2 has been put on hold (w/Gunn focused on Superman: Legacy), though 'Team Peacemaker' will be in this series which is awesome!  Both “Creature Commandos” and “Waller” are expected to debut before “Superman: Legacy”; Safran called them the “aperitif” for the DCU.
* Lanterns - Safran and Gunn seemed most excited for “Lanterns,” which Safran described as “a huge HBO-quality event” that is “very much in the vein of ‘True Detective.'” ( :o ).  The show will focus on two of the best known members of the Green Lantern corps: Hal Jordan & John Stewart, who investigate a mystery that Safran said “plays a really big role leading us into the main story that we’re telling across our film and television.”
* Paradise Lost - This “‘Game of Thrones’-ish story,” Safran said, is set on the island of Themyscira before the birth of Diana.  “It’s really about the political intrigue behind a society of all women,” Safran said.
* Booster Gold - In the 25th century, Mike Carter is a disgraced former football star who uses a time machine on display in the Metropolis Space Museum.  Added Gunn, “Basically, ‘Booster Gold’ is imposter syndrome as a superhero.”  Safran called Booster “a loser from the future who uses basic future technology to come back to today and pretend to be a superhero.”  Color me really excited for this one, a legit DC comedy!

Gunn also referenced a 'DC Elseworlds,' which would include a sequel(s) to The Batman, as well as The Joker sequel; he also referenced possibilities of The Flash or Aquaman continuations in the same 'breath' as Elseworlds, so fans of the old Justice League may not be out of luck just yet
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 04:02:11 PM by perc2100 »