Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration  (Read 24654 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There is a pro only entrance. Thank you, that explains the crazy CCI bias earlier in this thread. Unless you are doing a misdirect on purpose, you and your CCI source have no clue what you are talking about.  There is also a room that serves lemonade to pros and a place sit and relax.
Hmm...

Well, I guess you can believe what you want.
Regardless, both my source, as well as the random person who works for CCI for Pro Registration who replied to an email inquiry Friday with
"Alas, it is only a rumor."
I do know about the Pro room, and it is definitely a nice place to sit & relax.  Of course, that Pro Room is clearly marked and advertised at the Convention Center, with security and volunteers ready and willing to tell you exactly where it is.  If you want to believe in a magical Pro Entrance (and also wonder why people were cagey, unresponsive, or acted like they didn't know what you were talking about) vs the official CCI response of
"Alas, it is only a rumor."
, that's your prerogative.  I encourage you to email them yourself (they literally got back to me within less than 12 hours) and please share what the respond with here!

As for CCI "bias," it's merely me using calmed logic: detached from emotions of being caught up in a once-in-a-100 year pandemic that threw everything out of wack and inconvenienced us all.  I've spoken in this (and other) threads) with nothing more than 20+ years of attending CCI experience, asking CCI employees questions, and generally pleasant and courteous (you get A LOT further that way, FWIW).  I am a pretty passionate fellow, and I will 100% lose my mind if/when it's called for at whom it's called for.  If I think CCI deserves criticism, I'll absolutely lead the charge and sling it online to vent.

I do look forward to you posting the response from CCI about a special Pro Entrance; obviously as a fellow Pro I'd absolutely LOVE to have everything rational piece of evidence be wrong so I can get on the floor a little quicker Wednesday!

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »

I do look forward to you posting the response from CCI about a special Pro Entrance; obviously as a fellow Pro I'd absolutely LOVE to have everything rational piece of evidence be wrong so I can get on the floor a little quicker Wednesday!

Dave6 gave you the exact location and both 28savagedays and I confirmed it is true.  CCI doesn't share that entrance. It does exist. You have 3 different pros telling you it does exist. You have one source from CCI; they are either lying to you or have no clue.

You should be  thankful to Dave6 because I too had to find the entrance on my own.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:08:00 PM by Roshawn »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #257 on: Today at 10:45:36 AM »

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2022, 08:23:03 PM »
I would be curious to know the logistics of the "why" this is the current policy.  Like, what if you went Wednesday and said the Pro had to cancel last minute because they had COVID (I'm not suggesting you lie to the volunteers doling out the badges, I'm just posing a hypothetical "what if" type of situation); if pressed, you could easily say it's not your responsibility to be spokesperson for the Pro, and that you're confident they'll make their own arrangements as they see fit.  I can't fathom CCI would turn you away in that moment.

I get that for the vast majority of the attendees this is not the situation, and that their policy is a "one-size-fits-all" that doesn't quite fit every situation.  I suspect on-the-spot CCI would be accommodating to the Pro's guest.  I do recall WonderCon 2019 had a similar policy, where the Pro who got me a Guest badge had to pick it up and then hand it to me outside of the event.  The badge had my name and was all 100% legit, but the Pro had to get it.  I wonder if that's a thing where in the past this policy makes the most sense, for Pros to get badges for spouse, kids, family, etc. and it's EZPZ in that situation and just became "the way."  I'd love to hear the "why" of the policy

Same here! I thought about that too, but he will be here so I can't really covid him out lol.   I am crossing my fingers that the ADA will get them for me since I am ADA but their logic just doesn't make sense unless they are trying to prevent pros from buying additional badges and then not showing up.  But again, the pro badges are usually mailed so that issue is generally moot. The logic escapes me????

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2022, 09:04:15 PM »
Hmm...

Well, I guess you can believe what you want.
Regardless, both my source, as well as the random person who works for CCI for Pro Registration who replied to an email inquiry Friday with I do know about the Pro room, and it is definitely a nice place to sit & relax.  Of course, that Pro Room is clearly marked and advertised at the Convention Center, with security and volunteers ready and willing to tell you exactly where it is.  If you want to believe in a magical Pro Entrance (and also wonder why people were cagey, unresponsive, or acted like they didn't know what you were talking about) vs the official CCI response of , that's your prerogative.  I encourage you to email them yourself (they literally got back to me within less than 12 hours) and please share what the respond with here!

As for CCI "bias," it's merely me using calmed logic: detached from emotions of being caught up in a once-in-a-100 year pandemic that threw everything out of wack and inconvenienced us all.  I've spoken in this (and other) threads) with nothing more than 20+ years of attending CCI experience, asking CCI employees questions, and generally pleasant and courteous (you get A LOT further that way, FWIW).  I am a pretty passionate fellow, and I will 100% lose my mind if/when it's called for at whom it's called for.  If I think CCI deserves criticism, I'll absolutely lead the charge and sling it online to vent.

I've been Pro since 2016. There may not be one this year but there was/has been one in the past. Maybe who you talked to hasc to outwardly deny it but yes a pro only entrance did exist. A separate entrance for pro's only.
Sorry you don't believe everyone but yea it's true..

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2022, 11:13:01 PM »
Again, can confirm, there's a pro entrance and it exists this year like all others. I used it on PN. It does not grant early access, but the line to get in is a million times shorter than the general line.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2022, 12:49:18 AM »
I like watching the PN video walkthroughs. This youtuber  speaks with a refreshing first-timer vibe each show.

Watch the part at 1:44  to 1:55, and like that he's a Super7 fan too later on!

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2022, 06:28:55 AM »
PN is the best night to get all your b-roll and vlog footage in.
It kills me that i forgot my lavalier mics...

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2022, 11:08:18 AM »
Again, can confirm, there's a pro entrance and it exists this year like all others. I used it on PN. It does not grant early access, but the line to get in is a million times shorter than the general line.

Yup, used it PN, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
Comic-Con 2022, by 21st San Diego Comic-Con, was a good one: I'd say it's a better-than-average Con for me and the fam!  I went to all the panels I really wanted to, a few I kind of wanted to but didn't plan on seeing, got some great swag, bought the few exclusives I really wanted + a few other things, and didn't miss anything I _really_ wanted to see.  Thanks to being in a lineup group for another awesome year I only had to spend one 3 hour shift in line for Saturday Hall H (plus a few hours waiting for wristbands & a few hours Sat. morning waiting to get in) so I can't complain, really.  I scored well with panel swag, and I didn't go over-budget on stuff!  Plus, I kind of unexpectedly got one of my "Infinity Gauntlet" comics signed by artist Ron Lim to go with my Jim Starlin signature I got at SDCC SE (of course, I MUCH rather would've liked to have gotten one of the first couple issues signed by artist George Perez, which would've meant he was still alive, but...you know... :( ).

One reflection this year, is that I WAS WRONG; I was told explicitly by CCI there was no special Pro Entrance into the Exhibit Hall only to see with my own eyes that there was!  I had several Pros convincing us they had indeed used the Pro entrance, explained explicitly where it was, but I chose to believe CCI's information.  That was absolutely wrong!  I of course didn't see that entrance/sign until Thursday late morning/early afternoon when it didn't matter much, but I look forward to utilizing that entrance in 2023.

With the exception of some issues I had with the Hall H line in particular, I have no complaints!  Usually on Tuesday/Wed. afternoon of the week I start wondering if I'm too old for this bit of crazy, if maybe my SDCC days of attending every day are through, if I even really like doing all of this, etc.  For me, Sunday evening driving away from the Gas Lamp I was legit sad for the Con to end.  I didn't need to be on the Exhibit Floor one more time, and I was in the last Hall H panel of the week so I did close that one out, but I was already feeling a bit of sadness that it was over for the year & I couldn't WAIT to be there in 2023!

I look forward to having the dust settle and gearing up for Returning Badge Sales (to help out friends since I don't really need it w/my Pro badge).

Where is the Pro Entrance into the Exhibit Hall. I'm a pro and I've never heard of this.

Answer given in the Pro thread here! It's been a Topic of late.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:02:42 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2022, 05:18:50 PM »
Quick question about pro badges…how often do you need to renew your status? If you aren’t due for renewal are you guaranteed to be able to get a badge in pro registration or is it just as tough as the general sale?

TY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #265 on: July 30, 2022, 06:32:58 PM »
Quick question about pro badges…how often do you need to renew your status? If you aren’t due for renewal are you guaranteed to be able to get a badge in pro registration or is it just as tough as the general sale?

TY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renewal is every 3 years and your badge allotment (including guests) is guaranteed, no general or returning sale madness.

It's 'usually' super simple and stress free when CCI sends the registration email as you'll have a few months to get your badge(s), however this thread was started because of the problems induced by the cancelation of the 2020 convention. Happily it was remedied by CCI, but many of us learned to buy our guaranteed badge(s) as soon as possible as you never know what curve balls the world is gonna throw! The months of stress waiting for CCI to make it right was not great, but eventually it got worked out.

~S

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 06:38:37 PM by scottydizzy »
Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline azul120

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2022, 10:14:17 PM »

It deposits you at section B/C (I'll have to look it up). The general entry point (around G) might be preferable if you want to hit up the network (FOX, ABC, hulu, etc.) booths first.

Offline xavier2518

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »
Renewal is every 3 years and your badge allotment (including guests) is guaranteed, no general or returning sale madness.

It's 'usually' super simple and stress free when CCI sends the registration email as you'll have a few months to get your badge(s), however this thread was started because of the problems induced by the cancelation of the 2020 convention. Happily it was remedied by CCI, but many of us learned to buy our guaranteed badge(s) as soon as possible as you never know what curve balls the world is gonna throw! The months of stress waiting for CCI to make it right was not great, but eventually it got worked out.

first time having a pro badge and guest for 2022 but mine says expires 8/1/2023, where it should be originally 8/1/2024  , you believe sdcc will add another year too my pro badge since covid shut down the con for 2 years.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 02:55:44 PM by Devorah »

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2022, 12:19:58 PM »

first time having a pro badge and guest for 2022 but mine says expires 8/1/2023, where it should be originally 8/1/2024  , you believe sdcc will add another year too my pro badge since covid shut down the con for 2 years.

It's a good question because I know some people that had different results when CCI took the 2 year gap into consideration in regards to professional status renewal. For me, I last renewed my pro status 8/1/2019 which would've expired this past Monday (8/1) but had a year added to mine, so now I renew 8/1/2023.

It may depend on when you achieved/renewed your pro status and if there's a question, reach out to CCI to get clarification.

Cheers,
~S

Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2022, 04:44:51 AM »
It's a good question because I know some people that had different results when CCI took the 2 year gap into consideration in regards to professional status renewal. For me, I last renewed my pro status 8/1/2019 which would've expired this past Monday (8/1) but had a year added to mine, so now I renew 8/1/2023.

It may depend on when you achieved/renewed your pro status and if there's a question, reach out to CCI to get clarification.

Cheers,
~S

Same situation here. I renewed 8/1/2019 and they added 1 year to my renewal date, so it's up on 8/1/2023.