Author Topic: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC  (Read 11668 times)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2018, 03:41:15 PM »
Especially when Hall H empties. Can't move at all.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The bottleneck to get up/down those stairs. *shudder* I get claustrophobic just thinking about it. This is such a good decision.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
So I assume now Lyft and Uber will have to pickup in the regular traffic area?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 09:38:31 PM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
So I assume now Lyft and Uber will have to pickup in the regular traffic area?

Yes, they won't be able to get past the barricade. Only shuttles and cars with con center parking can get through.  Thankfully, both the Hilton Bayfront and MMM are accessible for Uber/Lyft.  I usually got picked up there anyway since the front on Harbor was so darn busy.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Good plan, Thanks.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2018, 10:29:31 PM »
What if we are bringing a child and they have no paperwork or a badge yet because we need to get into the convention center to get one? Also, what entrance do we go to get the child badge?

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:57 AM »
Yes, they won't be able to get past the barricade. Only shuttles and cars with con center parking can get through.  Thankfully, both the Hilton Bayfront and MMM are accessible for Uber/Lyft.  I usually got picked up there anyway since the front on Harbor was so darn busy.
If everyone does this, it certainly will make things interesting at the Bayfront and MMM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
I kinda like the massive s**t show that is the front of the convention center. It's part of the experience for me  ;D
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
I kinda like the massive s**t show that is the front of the convention center. It's part of the experience for me  ;D
I am not surprised one bit. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2018, 07:01:00 AM »
I couldn't find this info - Where will the drop-off points be located for those are being dropped off by private car and then where are the pick-up spots for those that are coming down to pick someone back up to take them home?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Does anyone have a report on how the new traffic flow is working for Convention Center and HBF parking? I am planning to go down for preview nite later this afternoon (2 - 3 pm) and taking Sigsbee or Cesar Chavez Parkway to Harbor - just wanted to know if the traffic really is getting backed up to park at HBF.

UPDATE: Wed Nite 7/18 - The traffic on Harbor to get into the HBF was backed up past Sigsbee street when I went at 3 pm - so I would suggest getting to harbor from Cesar Chavez Parkway which is a little further down and has 4-way traffic lights.

Also, as I suspected - the infamous freight train blocked Sigsbee and Cesar Chavez access from Harbor between 7 to 7:45 pm - so, if you are parked at the HBF - I would suggest not leaving the garage or arriving between 7 and 8 pm to avoid getting stuck at the railroad crossing between Harbor and Barrio Logan.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:31:01 AM by RSilvaConFan »

Offline NoNoNuni

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »
Looking back on it, this felt a lot more effective in cleaning up the pedestrian congestion at the 5th avenue entrance, however, I think it made a tight chokepoint tighter at first avenue, in order to accommodate the security people and their mini booth.  I don't really know how they'd be able to fix that without putting down more asphalt.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
It was talked about how they would check people to only allowed people in with badges.  They didn't push the RFID scanners out or really even looked at the badges much.  As long as you had something hanging around your neck that looked like a comic-con badge, you got onto that sidewalk.  The only time it even seem like they were paying attention at all was at the 5th ave stairs, on either end I didn't even see anyone looking.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (bold = mine)

Top of the list was the decision to shut down Harbor Drive to motorists for the first time ever. The normally heavily trafficked boulevard was closed between First Avenue and Park Boulevard to all vehicular traffic, except for emergency vehicles and shuttle buses. The net effect was to widen the area directly in front of the convention center to only those pedestrians with badges, also a change from previous years.

“I’m a 24-year Comic-Con vet and for the first time in so long, I had so much fun at this convention,” said Romeo Tayloga. “This year I have no complaints. And the Harbor Drive closure, will that be the norm going forward. Please?”

Rogers, who normally says little during the talk-back sessions, choosing instead to listen and take notes, said more feedback is needed before making a decision for next year. “There are months of meetings to come, looking at how well that worked, what were the manpower resources versus. the past, unanticipated problems,” Rogers said. “For all I know, everyone in the Gaslamp is writing their councilman saying it was the dumbest idea of all.”

Gil Cabrera, president of the San Diego Convention Center Corp. board and a fan of Comic-Con, said Sunday that the center supports closing Harbor Drive again when Comic-Con returns.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
The change had plusses and minuses, but way more plus than minus.

The good:

* Crossing 5th was way easier now, especially at the end of the day when we’re all exiting the con.

* The driveway is now open to walk on. Before, security was very anal about you staying on the sidewalk because of the buses, but since they moved them down to Harbor, there’s a lot less congestion right outside the con.

* Overall, it felt safer. I never felt unsafe before crossing Harbor, but now looking back, I realized there were so many opportunities for things to go awry.

The bad:

* Crossing 1st Street can sometimes take longer now. Instead of waiting for the normal light cycle, we have to wait for the police / guards to signal us to cross, and at times they take a loooong time before that happens, as they want to get as many cars out of that area as possible.

* I wasn’t a driver, but it seems the Harbor closure wasn’t well marked? Because I saw MANY incidents of cars trying to go through the cones only to have to put their car in reverse. I think it’s because they see a car that had a right to go through, and they think they can as well.

Regarding needing badges in the area, I saw several guys get kicked out for not having a badge. Security hounded them until they left the area. And this was well inside the checkpoint areas.