Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196725 times)

Offline Sarahharas

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #825 on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi Mathieu! I took enough French that I *think* I'm mentally pronouncing your name correctly. ;) Great to see you here! As Zero said, we will be organizing forum meetups at the con again this year, so be sure to attend one or two (or a few) and meet up with some of us!

Ooh, there's more than 1 forum meetup?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #826 on: February 19, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »

Yes. last year there were 4 or 5, IIRC.

ETA I was wrong! There were 6.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #827 on: Today at 01:26:50 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #827 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »

Yes. last year there were 4 or 5, IIRC.

ETA I was wrong! There were 6.

Indeed, there are several, either before, during, or after Comic-Con.  The most popular ones occur before or after though, for obvious scheduling reasons, but the date and time are subject to discussion with whomever decides to help organize a meet-up. 

We encourage anyone interested in organizing a meet-up to do so.  Create a thread and ask about interest; if there's enough interest, people will come.  Why, last year, a few of the forum meet-ups were featured on off-site lists of things to do around Comic-Con (and the forum community didn't even ask to be featured on these lists)!  It was pretty cool to see how much the forum has grown and how renowned it has become since the beginning.  ^__~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Matcine

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #828 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Mathieu!  It's great to see that you decided to join the dark side, I mean, the forum community!  ^__~

I wish you the best of luck for Preview Night.  (>__< We all know it's guaranteed to sell out fast.)

Keep an eye out for the forum meet-up threads in the next upcoming months.  They're definitely good ways to meet a few line buddies, and some people may even turn out to be life-long friends.

Thanks, I will!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #829 on: February 19, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »

Here's a list of the 2014 meet ups:

And you reminded me to create one for 2015:

Offline dancetomusic

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #830 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »
Hi, My name's Sarah and I live in Belgium. Last february a friend and I decided to go to SDCC so we booked a flight. Then we tried to find a hotel and were surprised there were almost none available. We ended up in one on Shelter Island. (Luckily there were shuttle busses). We had no idea getting badges was so difficult and of course we didn't get any. We still went and had a great time at NerdHQ, the offsite stuff and just visiting San Diego. (And then we went to New York as well)

This year I've decided I'll only go if I get a badge. I've joined a group so hopefully that will help my luck. There's a big chance I'll be traveling alone so I'm still looking for people to travel with and/or share a hotel with (and do more touristy stuff in San Diego. As awesome as it is I don't want to go all that way and spend it all in a convention center)

Hello Sarah, welcome!

I attended SDCC for the first time last year by myself and I had a great time! I flew in and out alone, and spent most of my time both at the con and around San Diego by myself. Don't be afraid to go solo!
I did share a hotel room with someone (which I recommend doing because rooms get spendy fast), and I found them here on the forum in the room sharing thread we had last year, so I agree with the others that it's definitely a good option for you.

Good luck in the badge sale!

Offline Sarahharas

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #831 on: February 20, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
Hello Sarah, welcome!

I attended SDCC for the first time last year by myself and I had a great time! I flew in and out alone, and spent most of my time both at the con and around San Diego by myself. Don't be afraid to go solo!
I did share a hotel room with someone (which I recommend doing because rooms get spendy fast), and I found them here on the forum in the room sharing thread we had last year, so I agree with the others that it's definitely a good option for you.

Good luck in the badge sale!

I just don't think it will be as much fun if I don't have someone I (kinda) know with me. And I know it's weird but it's always nice to have someone with you who speaks the same language (and my English is obviously fine). But I'll definitely check the hotel thread. Must wait 24 hours first. :)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #832 on: February 20, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
I just don't think it will be as much fun if I don't have someone I (kinda) know with me. And I know it's weird but it's always nice to have someone with you who speaks the same language (and my English is obviously fine). But I'll definitely check the hotel thread. Must wait 24 hours first. :)
I wish you much luck tomorrow!  Did you join any of the buying groups? They opened a last minute one last night. It will increase your chances!
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: February 20, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
I wish you much luck tomorrow!  Did you join any of the buying groups? They opened a last minute one last night. It will increase your chances!

Indeed!  In case anyone needs this, here's the information for the last-minute buying group:

PM SoCalNerdGal to ask to join. ^__~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Sarahharas

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #834 on: February 20, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »

I did join a group. Thanks :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: February 20, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »
I did join a group. Thanks :)

Sounds good!  That's already a little step closer to getting extra help for purchasing your Comic-Con badges. ^__~

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #836 on: February 23, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
Hi all!
My name is Melissa and this will be my first time at SDCC!  Loved comics all my life, but never had the chance to do this.... raising 3 kids gets pricey.  Kids all grown and on their own now, but my oldest caught the bug from me.  We did a small con here on the east coast this past summer and decided that we needed to register for the big dance.  We were lucky to get tickets and San Diego here we come!!! :D
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #837 on: February 23, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
Welcome, Melissa! I'm sure you and your daughter will have a blast!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #838 on: February 23, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »
Hi all!
My name is Melissa and this will be my first time at SDCC!  Loved comics all my life, but never had the chance to do this.... raising 3 kids gets pricey.  Kids all grown and on their own now, but my oldest caught the bug from me.  We did a small con here on the east coast this past summer and decided that we needed to register for the big dance.  We were lucky to get tickets and San Diego here we come!!! :D

Welcome to the forums, Melissa! ^__^/  Oh, I like the imagery that the "Emerald" portion of your username evokes.  Green, calm, serene.

It's great to hear that you and your family will be able to attend Comic-Con this year!  Sounds very exciting, and I hope you will get a chance to sight-see around San Diego or other areas of Southern California while you're here.

Offline tag177

• Sails Pavilion
  • I moustache you a question...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #839 on: February 25, 2015, 01:23:52 AM »
Hi all,

First off, I just wanted to say thanks Alyssa and Chris H for starting FCC, and to all of the mods for doing a great job at answering all of the myriad questions that we have!!! That being said, HI!!! My name is Max and I'm from Northern California. Roseville to be exact...a couple miles north of Sacramento. I've been to Wonder Con when it was still in S.F., Wizard World in Sacramento, and most recently, The Walker Stalker Con in S.F. After several years of trying in vain to buy my way in to SDCC, I was lucky enough to get accepted to the Volunteer program. This is going to be my first year attending SDCC and am going to do it solo, since none of my friends were able to buy their tickets this year. I found this forum while Googling, "Do I really need friends for Comic Con?". I found most of the answers to the questions that I had about volunteering that Zero had  posted but, as a "guest", I didn't have access to his *spoilers*, so I joined. Best decision ever. Best. Forum. Ever.  Hope to meet some of you guys!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:25:53 AM by tag177 »
We are the people our parents warned us about.