Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196727 times)

Offline zi

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #1005 on: February 26, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »
Hi all! Just found this forum since it will be my first time attending SDCC in 2016! 

My name's Zi, I'm born and raised in Singapore.  I attended college/uni in Melbourne, Australia and I'm now living in Seattle, Washington.
I've always been into comics and I've collected Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image and Vertigo comics.  Favourite artists would be Joe Mad (anyone remember his comic Tellos?), Todd Mcfarlane (grew up reading his work on Amazing Spider-man) and the late Michael Turner.

I had attended my first con at NYCC 2010 when I've just gotten my first job out of uni and I had such a blast!  This time round, I will be attending SDCC 2016 with my wife!  I was very fortunate to be able to obtain tickets for Thur - Sat through the open reg.  On the morning of open reg, my car broke down while I was out getting breakfast and I couldn't return home in time for the start of the reg.  So I had to use my iPhone throughout the whole process and luckily the website works!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the con!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1006 on: February 26, 2016, 11:37:17 AM »
That's quite the story! I'm so glad that you were able to get tickets after all of that!

It sounds like you have a good idea of what cons are like, but remember that SDCC is crazy, well beyond NYCC form 2010. Please check out the rest of this board for tips and tricks to navigate hotels, offsite events, lines, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1007 on: Today at 01:39:38 AM »

Offline perilla

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1007 on: February 26, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
Hey everybody! I discovered this forum when looking for more information on SDCC. I'm a military brat so I'm not really from anywhere, but I'm married to a Texas born and raised man who joined the military last year. He's been talking up SDCC ever since we met and began dating 6 years ago. We normally attend PAX or other gaming-related cons since we're both big gamers, into anime and DC. To celebrate my graduating with my bachelors this fall and to have some fun before he may be deployed, I decided to try and get us badges for SDCC 2016. I honestly didn't expect to get into registration and was already making plans to attend SLCC instead, but somehow I lucked out and got in, snagging us Friday through Sunday badges.

Overall I'm very excited to attend with my husband, who agreed to do at least one couples cosplay with me. :) This is our first comic con and I'm sure it will be a great experience. I'll definitely be reading everything I can here and preparing ahead of time.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #1008 on: February 26, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
That's awesome, Perilla! It's great to hear stories like this, of people who have never been to the show getting lucky in the badge lottery and being able to attend. I know you guys will have a fabulous time! Even though you don't have Thursday badges, make sure you get into town early to experience the offsites that will be taking place that day. You will be amazed by how much there is to do outside of the convention center!

You're certainly in the right place for information. Feel free to browse around the boards and ask questions. We're all happy to help!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #1009 on: February 26, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi all! Just found this forum since it will be my first time attending SDCC in 2016! 

My name's Zi, I'm born and raised in Singapore.  I attended college/uni in Melbourne, Australia and I'm now living in Seattle, Washington.
I've always been into comics and I've collected Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image and Vertigo comics.  Favourite artists would be Joe Mad (anyone remember his comic Tellos?), Todd Mcfarlane (grew up reading his work on Amazing Spider-man) and the late Michael Turner.

I had attended my first con at NYCC 2010 when I've just gotten my first job out of uni and I had such a blast!  This time round, I will be attending SDCC 2016 with my wife!  I was very fortunate to be able to obtain tickets for Thur - Sat through the open reg.  On the morning of open reg, my car broke down while I was out getting breakfast and I couldn't return home in time for the start of the reg.  So I had to use my iPhone throughout the whole process and luckily the website works!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the con!

Welcome to the forums, Zi!  Glad you could join us.

That's wonderful news!  Despite what happened to your car, I'm glad you and your wife will be attending Comic-Con for the first time!  I'm sure it will be very exciting, and there will be tons of information on the forums to help you plan your trip along way.  ^__~

In case you're interested, here's the forum meet-up summary thread:

There aren't a lot of meet-ups right now, but there will be a few more being planned before the convention rolls around that you and your wife might like to attend.

^__^d

Hey everybody! I discovered this forum when looking for more information on SDCC. I'm a military brat so I'm not really from anywhere, but I'm married to a Texas born and raised man who joined the military last year. He's been talking up SDCC ever since we met and began dating 6 years ago. We normally attend PAX or other gaming-related cons since we're both big gamers, into anime and DC. To celebrate my graduating with my bachelors this fall and to have some fun before he may be deployed, I decided to try and get us badges for SDCC 2016. I honestly didn't expect to get into registration and was already making plans to attend SLCC instead, but somehow I lucked out and got in, snagging us Friday through Sunday badges.

Overall I'm very excited to attend with my husband, who agreed to do at least one couples cosplay with me. :) This is our first comic con and I'm sure it will be a great experience. I'll definitely be reading everything I can here and preparing ahead of time.

Welcome to the forums, perilla!  Another great success story during open registration.  It's great to hear.

I'm glad that you and your husband will be able to attend Comic-Con this year, and I'm sure you'll both enjoy all that it has to offer.  I definitely recommend going through the threads to get as much information as you can to help you prepare for panels, lines, and more.  Perhaps you two would be interested in attending a few forum meet-ups during the convention.

There are only a few meet-ups right now, but by the time Comic-Con comes around, there are usually at least five or six in total:

^__~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline betarayben

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1010 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am attending Wondercon for the first time this year and I am excited for the getaway!  I am going solo, but I always enjoy being self-indulgent  ;).

I am mainly into comics (imagine that), but I can geek out in any number of mediums or genres.  For the past couple of years I've been relearning to draw, so I've been getting more and more into that aspect of comics.

I've been to a few other conventions, but this will be my first in California, a state that I truly love.  I currently live in Austin, but my favorite part of the country is the west, and I'd love to end up there eventually.

I have my ticket for the Dawn of Justice showing at LA Live thursday night, so I hope to meet some of you there (I'm afraid I've been lurking a bit around here). 

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: March 07, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am attending Wondercon for the first time this year and I am excited for the getaway!  I am going solo, but I always enjoy being self-indulgent  ;).

I am mainly into comics (imagine that), but I can geek out in any number of mediums or genres.  For the past couple of years I've been relearning to draw, so I've been getting more and more into that aspect of comics.

I've been to a few other conventions, but this will be my first in California, a state that I truly love.  I currently live in Austin, but my favorite part of the country is the west, and I'd love to end up there eventually.

I have my ticket for the Dawn of Justice showing at LA Live thursday night, so I hope to meet some of you there (I'm afraid I've been lurking a bit around here). 

Welcome to the dark side forums, betarayben!  (Did you know that your username can be abbreviated to "brb"?  Was that intentional?  Ha ha.  Kind of cool, either way.)

Glad that you could join us officially!  Do you attend any conventions in Texas?

Since you're attending WonderCon, check out these meet-up threads if you're interested in hanging out with some fellow forum members!
Thursday night meet-up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Friday night meet-up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

^__~  Again, welcome aboard!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline betarayben

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1012 on: March 07, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
Thanks, Zero!

I've attended Wizard World Austin, Mondocon, and various San Antonio cons.  Wizard World gets worse every year here.  I've actually flown out to Charlotte twice for Heroescon, which is by far the best con experience that I've had.

And no, I didn't plan on the brb thing!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: March 07, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »
Thanks, Zero!

I've attended Wizard World Austin, Mondocon, and various San Antonio cons.  Wizard World gets worse every year here.  I've actually flown out to Charlotte twice for Heroescon, which is by far the best con experience that I've had.

And no, I didn't plan on the brb thing!

That's pretty cool!  What was it about HeroesCon that made it a very good experience?

Even if it wasn't planned, it's still awesome.  Ha ha.  ^__^  (It's like a new forum inside joke that only forum members can know.)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #1014 on: March 08, 2016, 06:25:15 AM »
Hi Ben! It's great to see you here! A number of us are also attending WonderCon, so you may see us around. Look for our forum lanyards (blue with red blood spatter).

I hope you check out the WonderCon forum on this site!

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #1015 on: March 08, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
Hello. I'm Rodney. I'm from the midwest. My wife and I tried to get SDCC tickets this year for the first time and we were lucky enough to get in with the chance to buy all days including preview (we purchased the 4 day pass w/o Preview Night. Something we might be shooting ourselves in the foot for, but maybe not.

Anyway, needless to say I've been bitten by the SDCC bug. It's probably turned into somewhat of an obsession. I blame that on selling the tickets so early and having no con information available (I understand why, but grr!)

My wife and I love San Diego. We took our honeymoon there, we went there for our first anniversary, and most recently went there for her birthday. The Gaslamp district is beautiful. I hope to be able to impart some of my SD and Gaslamp knowledge to those on this forum. So far I've received so much wonderfully useful information regarding hotel sales and offsite events. I imagine you'll be seeing me around this site pretty often for pre/post con information and celebration!
SDCC: 2016, 2019, 2020

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #1016 on: March 08, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »
I'm glad that you're finding this site useful, Rodney! You may have noticed that most of us here have that same obsession with SDCC. Just a warning though, it doesn't go away. Once the con is over, you'll be obsessed with the next one!

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #1017 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:19 AM »
That's what I'm hoping happens to my wife. She said the con is a "Once-in-a-lifetime" experience and that we have to go once. Hopefully that once turns into once a year!

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #1018 on: March 08, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
Hello. I'm Rodney. I'm from the midwest. My wife and I tried to get SDCC tickets this year for the first time and we were lucky enough to get in with the chance to buy all days including preview (we purchased the 4 day pass w/o Preview Night. Something we might be shooting ourselves in the foot for, but maybe not.

Anyway, needless to say I've been bitten by the SDCC bug. It's probably turned into somewhat of an obsession. I blame that on selling the tickets so early and having no con information available (I understand why, but grr!)

My wife and I love San Diego. We took our honeymoon there, we went there for our first anniversary, and most recently went there for her birthday. The Gaslamp district is beautiful. I hope to be able to impart some of my SD and Gaslamp knowledge to those on this forum. So far I've received so much wonderfully useful information regarding hotel sales and offsite events. I imagine you'll be seeing me around this site pretty often for pre/post con information and celebration!

Welcome! You're definitely in for a treat, especially now that you've delved into the separate journey of preparation and hype with the rest of us on the forum! :) I first attended believing that SDCC would be a once in a lifetime experience as well, but as with any great thing it became something that was easy to become addicted to! I hope you guys have a wonderful first experience. As for preview night, don't worry about it :) I've optionally passed it up every year myself, as I don't really need an extra night on the floor unless I really plan on camping for an exclusive (of which we won't know about until much later anyway). And even so, there are many other opportunities for that in your 4 days!

Offline rodneytfreeman

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #1019 on: March 08, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »
Planning has become a bit of an addiction. Just hung up this cheap whiteboard last night. Will be roughly planning our offsites, hotels, important info on this.