Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196888 times)

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #1155 on: October 28, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
yay! Hi [member=4551]draccy[/member] !!  I've known draccy for a bazillion years and we've been doing SDCC together since 2013 when I dragged her and my bff with me! Fun fact: We met online in a Nine Inch Nails forum in like 1999!
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline draccy

• Sails Pavilion
  • I think therefore I nerd.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #1156 on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yay! Hi [member=4551]draccy[/member] !!  I've known draccy for a bazillion years and we've been doing SDCC together since 2013 when I dragged her and my bff with me! Fun fact: We met online in a Nine Inch Nails forum in like 1999!
Hahaha yeah in the forever ago days pre social media when people were all, omg you talk to strangers?! :D

Side note, how long do I have to fill in the "I solemnly swear I'm not a bot" verification questions every time I post?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1157 on: Today at 05:28:58 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #1157 on: October 28, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »
Thank you Zero :)

Comics: I'm super loving Image comics. Monstress is my #1 favorite right now, Saga is amazing, I'm really enjoying Lazarus which I got because I dig Greg Rucka. Back in the forever ago days of my youth (the 1990s) I was a Marvel comics girl, and especially loved the X-Men titles. I'm thinking of getting into 2000AD stuff because I have a friend who works for them.

Movies: I love the MCU. It strikes a good balance between the different movies of fun and serious. I'm very unhappy with the DC movie-verse's grimdark all the things and think Zack Snyder needs to, like, go away. Wonder Woman was fantastic because of his minimal involvement in the movie.

TV: umm... how much time do you have? lol I'm behind on many of my shows because I decided that grad school was a thing I should do. Who needs a life, amirite? In no particular order: the Marvel Netflix series (sans Iron Fist because omg the acting and writing were soooooooooooo bad. Like I could've gotten over one if it weren't for the other. Favorite part of The Defenders was Luke Cage laying out Danny Rand.) I believe my avatar accurately conveys my love for Daredevil especially, though. Then there's Doctor Who, though I'm behind. Stranger Things, though I have many things due next week so I don't have time to watch it until probably Thanksgiving. Legion was an absolutely amazing show in all the ways - visually, acting, writing, music, feel, and oh my god Aubrey Plaza. Preacher. Rick and Morty. Sens8, which I keep hoping deep down that it will get picked up by someone else who'll keep it going so JMS and the Wachowskis can see their vision through. I used to love Supernatural so much that I slept outside my first SDCC to see the panel, but I lost interest about 3 years ago when they just kept on recycling material. I saw the first season of Mr. Robot and it was awesome, but I'm behind on that show too. And I can't friggin wait for the Netflix Punisher show to come out. I'm not usually a Punisher fan, but Daredevil Season 2 totally sold me on this iteration of the character.

And last but not least, my favorite fantasy writers right now are NK Jemisin and Brandon Sanderson.

What I took away from this: Comic-Con covers all of your favorite fandoms, and you'll fit right in with the rest of us in our awesome community.  (Bwuhahahahahaha, welcome to the dark side--I mean, the cool side, yes.)  ^__^

I'm not a fan of the last few major DC movies either, with the exception of Wonder Woman (which was very good and one of my favorite movies of this year, ha ha).  I admit that I'm slightly curious to see the Justice League movie, only because Joss Whedon took over and I'm a big fan of his work.  Might wait for it to go out on DVD or Bluray though.  *laughs*  I love the MCU as well, but some movies are better than others.

Oh man... there are just too many TV shows to follow these days.  I'm behind on all of my current ones--Flash, Supergirl, Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time, etc.--and then I have a ton that I haven't gotten around to yet, including Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and so much more on my "to-watch" list.  I may never get around to them anytime soon!  Ha ha.

I'll also mention that some of our forum members plan meet-ups during Comic-Con, so keep an eye out for those threads in the "CCI General Discussion" section.

Ha ha, nice!   It's great to see more people on here.  [member=3]Chris[/member] would be proud that you have successfully recruited a lurker into becoming more active and joining in on conversations.  (Mwuhahahahahaha!)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline draccy

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1158 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »
I'll keep an eye out. My SDCC evening plans go along the lines of "inaugural Wednesday night dinner with my group," followed by "eat and drink at Lion's Share as often as possible."

Oh for sure SDCC has ALL the fandoms, and more. I'm already building a mental list of things I want for next year. For example, I hope that American Gods does a panel in 2018. I saw the 2016 one and squeed so hard, and was sad there was no 2017 panel.

I feel like this is a golden age for television, and I love it, but it's really hard to keep up. Thankfully with streaming I don't feel bad putting off things to watch in order to do things like not fail out of grad school.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1159 on: October 30, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
Ha ha, nice!   It's great to see more people on here.  [member=3]Chris[/member] would be proud that you have successfully recruited a lurker into becoming more active and joining in on conversations.  (Mwuhahahahahaha!)

I have a lurker recruitment quota.  :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1160 on: October 31, 2017, 04:25:25 AM »
I'll keep an eye out. My SDCC evening plans go along the lines of "inaugural Wednesday night dinner with my group," followed by "eat and drink at Lion's Share as often as possible."

Oh for sure SDCC has ALL the fandoms, and more. I'm already building a mental list of things I want for next year. For example, I hope that American Gods does a panel in 2018. I saw the 2016 one and squeed so hard, and was sad there was no 2017 panel.

I feel like this is a golden age for television, and I love it, but it's really hard to keep up. Thankfully with streaming I don't feel bad putting off things to watch in order to do things like not fail out of grad school.

Here, here!  I agree!  There are too many good things on TV right now.  So little time.  Plus, I'm also an active gamer, so in lieu of watching or catching up a TV series, I end up gaming on my phone (Kingdom Hearts Union Cross, or KHUx), Playstation, or 3DS.  I still have yet to finish Pokemon Moon, and it's been almost a year since I got it already.  Those darn raid bosses in KHUx take up so much of my free time... >__<

School comes first, ha ha.  (I say that as someone who is also in grad school, hahahahahaha.)  What are you studying?

I have a lurker recruitment quota.  :)

Indeed!  What's next month's quota, sir?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline draccy

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #1161 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »
I'm getting a Master's in Public Health. 6.5 months left, then I'll be a free woman again! It's a weird love-hate relationship between me and school. I adore most of what I'm learning. I hate the stress of constantly having something to do. It doesn't give me the space I need to let my brain rest because, even if I'm procrastinating, my brain is going over all the things I have to get done. Undergrad was easier, even though I double majored, because I cared less. But something happened to me between undergrad and now, and now I'm all "omg my GPA." Even though I'm certainly not going to ever get a PhD, so my GPA doesn't matter for anything except my personal issues with impostor syndrome.

What are you studying?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1162 on: November 04, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »
I'm getting a Master's in Public Health. 6.5 months left, then I'll be a free woman again! It's a weird love-hate relationship between me and school. I adore most of what I'm learning. I hate the stress of constantly having something to do. It doesn't give me the space I need to let my brain rest because, even if I'm procrastinating, my brain is going over all the things I have to get done. Undergrad was easier, even though I double majored, because I cared less. But something happened to me between undergrad and now, and now I'm all "omg my GPA." Even though I'm certainly not going to ever get a PhD, so my GPA doesn't matter for anything except my personal issues with impostor syndrome.

What are you studying?

Oh, nice!  Public Health.  What do you want to do with that once you've graduated?

I'm doing my Master's in Forensic Science with a Specializiation in Criminalistics.  I'm actually done with all of my classes, so I just really need to churn out that thesis paper and then... graduation!  >__< The thesis is the hardest part, and I currently have writer's block.  Ugh.

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #1163 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »
Well, I will do my official intro lol  My name is Christina... while nerdy in my own way it is my husband who is the major player in the house.  We are in our 40’s and have 3 kids one of which is now out on her own (yay!!!).   We live on the edge of LA county and Orange County in Cali in Cerritos. 

2017 was our first SDCC and when I found this place a little too late   but I am making up for that!!!   

Everyone in my house likes something different so it becomes a challenge pulling off SDCC but we make it work!  We drove down last year but think this year we are going to take the train... something different and I won’t have to worry about parking but that also depends on hotel    

Good to meet you all officially!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #1164 on: November 11, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »
Well, I will do my official intro lol  My name is Christina... while nerdy in my own way it is my husband who is the major player in the house.  We are in our 40’s and have 3 kids one of which is now out on her own (yay!!!).   We live on the edge of LA county and Orange County in Cali in Cerritos. 

2017 was our first SDCC and when I found this place a little too late   but I am making up for that!!!   

Everyone in my house likes something different so it becomes a challenge pulling off SDCC but we make it work!  We drove down last year but think this year we are going to take the train... something different and I won’t have to worry about parking but that also depends on hotel    

Hi Christina! @clambert1273

Welcome to the forum! We are all our own kind of nerdy. I’m a pop culture/ TV nerd while my husband is nerdy about science and beer...though he’s bringing me around to the beer. :)

What kinds of things are you into? What do you like to see at SDCC?

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1165 on: November 11, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »
Hi Christina! @clambert1273

Welcome to the forum! We are all our own kind of nerdy. I’m a pop culture/ TV nerd while my husband is nerdy about science and beer...though he’s bringing me around to the beer. :)

What kinds of things are you into? What do you like to see at SDCC?

Ahh well, I was a math major with physics minor    So I am a different nerd   I am personally a disney freak and based on our comic con last year, I would have wanted Hall H Friday and Saturday lol   I am GoT, Outlander, OUAT, TWD, but my heart throbs Vikings and Supernatural ❤️❤️ 

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1166 on: November 12, 2017, 02:24:05 AM »

Welcome to the forums, [member=7390]clambert1273[/member]!  Glad that you could join us in our community!

What are some fandoms you enjoy?

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1167 on: November 12, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
Welcome to the forums, [member=7390]clambert1273[/member]!  Glad that you could join us in our community!

What are some fandoms you enjoy?

Ahhh well that is mostly my daughter and hubby’s realm...  I am the gamer girl (have been forever) so that is where I always was... in the RPG realm    But I am totally expanding my horizons thanks to this group and them lol

I would have to guess my biggest that I follow is Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice)...  I read a lot but I tend to reread my favorites.  I have read Outlander series, GoT series and the Vampire Chronicles (Mayfair witches etc..) more times than I can count... 

I get a lot of exposure to Harry Potter from my youngest so I just roll with it for her :) my husband is ALL THINGS Star Wars and my son is ALL Anime so I kind of just get yanked all around

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1168 on: November 12, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
Ahhh well that is mostly my daughter and hubby’s realm...  I am the gamer girl (have been forever) so that is where I always was... in the RPG realm    But I am totally expanding my horizons thanks to this group and them lol

I would have to guess my biggest that I follow is Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice)...  I read a lot but I tend to reread my favorites.  I have read Outlander series, GoT series and the Vampire Chronicles (Mayfair witches etc..) more times than I can count... 

I get a lot of exposure to Harry Potter from my youngest so I just roll with it for her :) my husband is ALL THINGS Star Wars and my son is ALL Anime so I kind of just get yanked all around

Oh my!  A fellow gamer!  *high fives*  What are your favorite RPGs?  What have you been playing lately?  I never should have started this, but I've been playing Kingdom Hearts Union Cross.  I'm not really a fan of MMORPGs--I didn't really play them when I was younger because it consumes too much time--but curiosity got the better of me last year when it first came out, and I've been doing it ever since (also my party's leader so I have to keep people motivated and organized, ha ha).  Ugh, too many raid bosses.  It's gotten a bit repetitive. >__<

I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.  I haven't yet read the latest book (the one with Atlantis), but I'll get around to it eventually, ha ha. 

Ha ha, it sounds like you do have a good mix of fandoms in your household!  Have you attended or thought of attending any other conventions, like for Stars Wars, Harry Potter, or anime?

Offline clambert1273

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #1169 on: November 12, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
Oh my!  A fellow gamer!  *high fives*  What are your favorite RPGs?  What have you been playing lately?  I never should have started this, but I've been playing Kingdom Hearts Union Cross.  I'm not really a fan of MMORPGs--I didn't really play them when I was younger because it consumes too much time--but curiosity got the better of me last year when it first came out, and I've been doing it ever since (also my party's leader so I have to keep people motivated and organized, ha ha).  Ugh, too many raid bosses.  It's gotten a bit repetitive. >__<

I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.  I haven't yet read the latest book (the one with Atlantis), but I'll get around to it eventually, ha ha. 

Ha ha, it sounds like you do have a good mix of fandoms in your household!  Have you attended or thought of attending any other conventions, like for Stars Wars, Harry Potter, or anime?

Oh my lol  well I am very old school with my RPG’s so since they never make new ones worth anything, I go back and play my old Baulder’s Gate II and maybe Neverwinter Nights sometimes..  I do still like some old Diablo so will fire that up as well...   I love Kingdom Hearts but I do NOT like MMORPG’s and I rarely will play anything online lol  told ya, I am very old school & picky in my games but I also do love me Final Fantasy but XIII was my line in the sand... I like it well enough after it opens up ...  I think Dragon Age was the better most recent RPG I played and replay that one too lol

You opened that can   the Atlantis book was good but you can tell the difference in her writing now as opposed to the earlier chronicles...

If it was up to them they would try to attend everything; however, I have to be the mean person and say due to the expense of SDCC they have to choose so they pick SDCC  lol