Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196781 times)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 18, 2014, 07:14:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks Zero.  SDCC is nothing like any Con I've been to before. Getting ready for it is too much like work. lol.  I read this forum everyday, study the maps, and look at previous years schedules to try to plan ahead.  The last two weeks before the Con will be a mad scramble though.  I hope you have a great time at the Con!

If this is work, it's the best work there is!  You will be very happy you put in the time but more importantly be sure to have fun!
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline LeeRS

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #751 on: June 22, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
My name is Lee and I am a 28 year old male and I am currently living in ABQ, NM and by the end of this year my plan is to move to NYC (and I look forward to checking out the NYC ComicCon in the future as well).  I have lived in quite a few places. Ohio (multiple locations), Oregon (couple locations), border of AZ/Utah, New York (upstate just outside of Ithaca), and currently in New Mexico.  And have visited quite a few places in the USA as well (hoping to get to Ireland/UK in the next couple of years and then to various locations around the world).

2013 was not only my first SDCC and my first time to San Diego but it was my first comic convention in general.  Since then I have been to the local con and in about a week I will be attending the local expo.  I will be back to San Diego and SDCC this year as well (I hope to be able to make it regularly moving forward).  I think living in NYC will make it easier to attend NYCCC and still allow me to go to SDCC(hopefully).

I like to have fun and feel like it can come in many shapes and sizes. Some of the things I like to do are considered "extreme" but I only do them occasionally. Things such hang gliding, sky diving (actually went about a month ago while in Phoenix), etc. But I also like to stay in and read, go running, watch movies and tv, go hiking, etc as well. I am up for trying most things at least once. 

TV and movies (including web only programming such as Geek & Sundry) are probably the biggest thing I get geeky about but I also enjoy video games (probably the thing I get second most geeky about), comics, books, music (mainly just listening to when driving and running), comedians, travel technology & gadgets (I am currently in IT Sales), art (mainly just looking at for fun when traveling), board games (pretty new to this area), etc.  I have never LARPed but I have dressed up for a renaissance fair a couple of times...

I don't have Facebook anymore (and rarely use twitter) but you can find me online here:

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #752 on: Today at 06:33:14 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #752 on: June 22, 2014, 07:07:40 PM »
My name is Lee and I am a 28 year old male and I am currently living in ABQ, NM and by the end of this year my plan is to move to NYC (and I look forward to checking out the NYC ComicCon in the future as well).  I have lived in quite a few places. Ohio (multiple locations), Oregon (couple locations), border of AZ/Utah, New York (upstate just outside of Ithaca), and currently in New Mexico.  And have visited quite a few places in the USA as well (hoping to get to Ireland/UK in the next couple of years and then to various locations around the world).

2013 was not only my first SDCC and my first time to San Diego but it was my first comic convention in general.  Since then I have been to the local con and in about a week I will be attending the local expo.  I will be back to San Diego and SDCC this year as well (I hope to be able to make it regularly moving forward).  I think living in NYC will make it easier to attend NYCCC and still allow me to go to SDCC(hopefully).

I like to have fun and feel like it can come in many shapes and sizes. Some of the things I like to do are considered "extreme" but I only do them occasionally. Things such hang gliding, sky diving (actually went about a month ago while in Phoenix), etc. But I also like to stay in and read, go running, watch movies and tv, go hiking, etc as well. I am up for trying most things at least once. 

TV and movies (including web only programming such as Geek & Sundry) are probably the biggest thing I get geeky about but I also enjoy video games (probably the thing I get second most geeky about), comics, books, music (mainly just listening to when driving and running), comedians, travel technology & gadgets (I am currently in IT Sales), art (mainly just looking at for fun when traveling), board games (pretty new to this area), etc.  I have never LARPed but I have dressed up for a renaissance fair a couple of times...

I don't have Facebook anymore (and rarely use twitter) but you can find me online here:

Welcome to the forums, Lee!  Glad that you could join us.

I agree that having fun can be done in many ways, and as long as it allows you to enjoy yourself and enjoy life, it doesn't matter if it's considered "extreme."  Some people might even say that going to conventions like Comic-Con is also extreme in some ways, ha ha.

What are you looking forward to seeing at Comic-Con this year?  (In general, since the schedule isn't out yet, ha ha.)

^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline LeeRS

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #753 on: June 22, 2014, 07:54:33 PM »
Some of the things I look forward to most are offsite/technically not part of comiccon per se.  Such as W00tstock, the Geek and Sundry Lounge, and checking out Nerd HQ (I didn't get over there last year).

Welcome to the forums, Lee!  Glad that you could join us.

I agree that having fun can be done in many ways, and as long as it allows you to enjoy yourself and enjoy life, it doesn't matter if it's considered "extreme."  Some people might even say that going to conventions like Comic-Con is also extreme in some ways, ha ha.

What are you looking forward to seeing at Comic-Con this year?  (In general, since the schedule isn't out yet, ha ha.)

^__^

Offline Jemifa

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #754 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
Hello All!

I know I have atrocious manners in not having introduced myself. I am Jemifa, a nerd through and through. Sci-Fi is my crack. I love fantasy. I'm warming up to Cosplay! And I'm here for the comic books! Don't get it twisted! I am so happy to see a whole community of my people here. I am a veteran of 2 SDCCs in years long passed. 1993 and 2007. Yes I know...long ago in a galaxy far far away.  I only recently got reintroduced to this wonderful world of amazing people by a lovely gentleman. He has been the most amazing ambassador into this strange and wonderfully new land called (SDCC post Twilight). I know, I know- I hate to bring up the painful past...
While its true I do not know first-hand of the pandemonium that our beloved SDCC has turned into- I need to raise my flag and say that I am a purist. I want to be able to talk to the artists that are shaping pop-culture today. I have been warned that you can no longer walk the artist alley at your leisure, as it is not really an alley anymore...its more like a 6 lane superhighway in "LA status" rush hour traffic. Still and all- I am thrilled to be going this year with the "peas to my carrots". If you will be there in a few weeks I hope to meet you there! Got my snazzy lanyard and erythang! I love the posts and the conversations I am seeing- I will check in more often as work permits. Have a great rest of the week and   I can't wait!!!!   
Showtime Synergy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #755 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:41 PM »
Hello All!

I know I have atrocious manners in not having introduced myself. I am Jemifa, a nerd through and through. Sci-Fi is my crack. I love fantasy. I'm warming up to Cosplay! And I'm here for the comic books! Don't get it twisted! I am so happy to see a whole community of my people here. I am a veteran of 2 SDCCs in years long passed. 1993 and 2007. Yes I know...long ago in a galaxy far far away.  I only recently got reintroduced to this wonderful world of amazing people by a lovely gentleman. He has been the most amazing ambassador into this strange and wonderfully new land called (SDCC post Twilight). I know, I know- I hate to bring up the painful past...
While its true I do not know first-hand of the pandemonium that our beloved SDCC has turned into- I need to raise my flag and say that I am a purist. I want to be able to talk to the artists that are shaping pop-culture today. I have been warned that you can no longer walk the artist alley at your leisure, as it is not really an alley anymore...its more like a 6 lane superhighway in "LA status" rush hour traffic. Still and all- I am thrilled to be going this year with the "peas to my carrots". If you will be there in a few weeks I hope to meet you there! Got my snazzy lanyard and erythang! I love the posts and the conversations I am seeing- I will check in more often as work permits. Have a great rest of the week and   I can't wait!!!!   

Welcome to the forums, Jemifa!  I'm glad that you can join us in our online community.

The humor in your post made me smile.  The aisles in the Artist Alley (as well as the rest of the Exhibit Hall) does feel like you're in rush hour traffic, bumper-to-bumper gridlock at times. Ha ha.  ^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #756 on: June 26, 2014, 05:33:55 AM »
Hello All!

Big time props to Jem for the Big Trouble in Little China sig!

"Who?  Jack Burton, me!"
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline avidfannibal

• Ballroom 20
  • Fannibal. currently obsessed with Magneto
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #757 on: June 26, 2014, 07:09:33 AM »
Big time props to Jem for the Big Trouble in Little China sig!

"Who?  Jack Burton, me!"

oh my word I missed the sig on first glance, awesome.  Welcome to the forums and hurray. I could quote Big Trouble in Little China all day long.

Offline Jemifa

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #758 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »
Holy cow!!!!!! Thanks for the "Big Trouble in Little China" Love, and for the warm welcome guys!
Showtime Synergy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pinniped

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
Hello all,

I found this forum in 2012 while preparing for my first SDCC and it was invaluable. Since then I've visited annually or when I need info, but lately the anticipation of attending my 3rd SDCC is too much and I find myself opening Tapatalk constantly to read random threads for no reason. Then I finally realized this was where to make intros, so here I am, haha.

My husband and I live in Los Angeles County and are lucky to have family in San Diego who can host us during the con. We got hooked on the idea of attending Comic Con in 2011 when we saw a taped segment of the SDCC Walking Dead panel in the DVD special features where it was announced that Bear McCreary would be doing the soundtrack. One guy in the audience loudly exclaimed, "What?!" and everyone cheered right after. That moment felt so exciting that even though I was only seeing it on my TV, I decided I had to experience that kind of excitement for myself.

As newbies in 2012, we actually accomplished a lot, according to one of our seasoned friends who's been going for years. We made it into Ballroom 20 for the Firefly 10-year Anniversary reunion panel. I then stayed all day so I could see Breaking Bad at the end, and it was worth it. I think all our preparation paid off, including watching Comic Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope, which had just come out on Amazon Instant Video. (Now you can see it for free on Hulu.)  But we also over-packed and were miserable the first day carrying way too much weight - swag bags, backpacks filled with heavy snacks and water, camping stool, paraphernalia that we innocently thought we could get signed just by walking around.

In 2013, we decided not to stress about panels and just enjoy the floor. That made shopping much more enjoyable and helped us score some swag, though it's SO difficult to get nice items like T-shirts and bags. We tried cosplaying for the first time as Battlestar Galactica pilots wearing the double tanks, and BuyMore employees from Chuck wearing the bright green polo shirts. The attention and recognition was fun but a bit intimidating, too. I think we'd rather not be in character and just enjoy being ourselves.

This year, we're looking forward to walking the floor again, being more on top of free giveaways announced via Twitter, and discovering cool new artists. I'm more into panels than my husband who pretty much refuses to wait in line for hours only to watch actors talk on a video screen and watch trailers that will be on the Internet mere weeks later, but maybe I can slip away for some My Little Pony or a video game panel.

We've marveled at how completely the TV shows featured at Comic Con match our tastes: Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Legend of Korra, Nikita, Grimm, Fringe, Once Upon a Time, to name a few. Thanks to Comic Con we've also become new fans of Doctor Who, Arrow, the 100, True Blood, Defiance... and I started reading comics: Walking Dead, Buffy, Angel.

I'm a bit sad I never tried for Hall H earlier, since the time commitment is getting more and more ridiculous. I'm also not in good enough physical condition to camp out all night.

This is getting long, so I'll end it here. Thanks for creating this awesome and useful forum!

See you around!

Offline pinniped

• Freebie Table
« Reply #760 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
TL;DR - I'm a geek girl living in SoCal with my husband.

2012: SDCC
2013: SDCC
2014: WonderCon and SDCC

Love this forum; happy to be here; keep up the good work.

=D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #761 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
Welcome to the looney bin!   :o

Offline kmcleer25

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #762 on: July 06, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »
Howdy! My name is Kathryn and I've been going to Comic Con since 2009 with my younger sister. We've also been to Wonder Con since it's been in Anaheim. Both cons are something that my sister and I look forward to every year and make it a mini vacation with the family. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Offline pinniped

• Freebie Table
« Reply #763 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

Howdy! My name is Kathryn and I've been going to Comic Con since 2009 with my younger sister. We've also been to Wonder Con since it's been in Anaheim. Both cons are something that my sister and I look forward to every year and make it a mini vacation with the family. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Welcome! Great to have you here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #764 on: July 07, 2014, 07:05:12 AM »

Welcome!   Please remember to keep your hands and feet inside the forum at all times when it is in motion.  :)