Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond Premiere-Embarcadero Park July 20  (Read 52083 times)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Re: Star Trek Beyond Premiere-Embarcadero Park July 20
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:37 AM »
They kept it super-secret.  The orchestra found out only 2 days beforehand and had to sign NDAs.

Offline NoOtherOptions!

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 06:32:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
k, lets just get this out in the open.

I want to go to this- everything else is secondary- PVN, bloggers party, etc all, doesn't matter. This is my first priority.

I get that it's cool because its the "world" premiere, but it looks not so good.  Especially after the last movie.  So is it because you're a star trek fan or?  I'm genuinely curious because while this is cool, I'm still more excited for Hop Con.  I guess that's what makes SDCC so great, different events for different fans.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:15:14 PM »

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
k, lets just get this out in the open.

I want to go to this- everything else is secondary- PVN, bloggers party, etc all, doesn't matter. This is my first priority.

I agree as a SDCC first timer this year this and a Conan show are my most wanted off site events

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »
have to have more than 2700 people.  they will either have no tables at all or a very limited amount of them for vip invitees slash the actors etc.......

I was at the star wars concert last year.  I may never experience something like that again.  while it wasn't a premier.  I was surprised it happened during the forum. I am curious just how many people knew it was going to happen beforehand anyone know ?
note - for reference, I'm a music teacher/musician who lives in San Diego and I do know/often work with some of the San Diego Symphony musicians (as well as other symphonies - it was cool knowing people who played on the FORCE AWAKENS soundtrack)

1) Symphony Musicians had to sign a non-disclosure waiver, where they weren't even supposed to tell their family members, let alone friends
2) Some musicians are just like the rest of us: super geeky about their favorite genre movies/franchises, and find it difficult to not confide in other super geeky friends about their excitement.  So yeah, some told some people, though from what I understand the vast majority told no one until either right at the last second (which was when I found out - during the Star Wars panel, which I didn't attend, while the symphony was warming up) or after-the-fact.
3) I told no one, even though I was in line for Hall H the next day; I waited until after it was officially announced
4) I did NOT get a lightsaber, but whatever... :P

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 08:25:34 AM »
note - for reference, I'm a music teacher/musician who lives in San Diego and I do know/often work with some of the San Diego Symphony musicians (as well as other symphonies - it was cool knowing people who played on the FORCE AWAKENS soundtrack)

1) Symphony Musicians had to sign a non-disclosure waiver, where they weren't even supposed to tell their family members, let alone friends
2) Some musicians are just like the rest of us: super geeky about their favorite genre movies/franchises, and find it difficult to not confide in other super geeky friends about their excitement.  So yeah, some told some people, though from what I understand the vast majority told no one until either right at the last second (which was when I found out - during the Star Wars panel, which I didn't attend, while the symphony was warming up) or after-the-fact.
3) I told no one, even though I was in line for Hall H the next day; I waited until after it was officially announced
4) I did NOT get a lightsaber, but whatever... :P

Wow...to know what was going to happen and not tell...great job!  The excitement...watching people's faces as they came to realize...oh, yes!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
The Star Wars concert still had the grand stand seats but everything else was standing room only. Figure it'd be the same for this.
FWIW the typical concert seating for that venue:

* grandstand (which I don't think they can easily move out, though I could be wrong)
* LOTS of open lawn-space
* highest priced tix = tables near the front of the stage that are four seats per table.  I don't know how many tables, but there aren't a ton of them

I don't know what they typically do for the Comic-Con concerts at this venue, so I don't know what is different for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cleared out ALL of the tables, installed some sort of temporary seating chairs for the bulk of it, and then maybe standing room only/lawn seating or bleachers for us peons

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
Wow...to know what was going to happen and not tell...great job!  The excitement...watching people's faces as they came to realize...oh, yes!
It was tough; I got the text and did an audible "OMG!!!!!" in line, and everyone (including my son) was asking 'what, what?!'  I think I just said 'family thing' or something, quickly asked my line-mates to hold my spot for an hour or so, and then b-lined over before things got crazy (I was told I could get suck in but only if I could get over there before the Hall H crowds piled in, when the security would go into lockdown mode).  I didn't even tell anyone when I got back, as it was hammered in my head that NO ONE could know at that time that I knew before the masses (the non-disclosure was pretty crazy, as one might expect from JJ Abrams).

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 08:46:48 AM »
I may never experience something like that again. while it wasn't a premier.  I was surprised it happened during the forum.  I am curious just how many people knew it was going to happen beforehand anyone know ?

Couple of things:
1) GO SEE YOUR LOCAL SYMPHONY!!  Depending on where you live, they might not be as good as the San Diego Symphony (though they could also be significantly better if you live in, say, NYC or LA or San Francisco or Chicago, or Boston, etc) but most symphony have a summer pops program where they do mainstream stuff.  While you may not be handed free lightsabers before the concert, you can still have an awesome time: even if it's not movie music.  Late last summer (after school started in the fall) the San Diego pops finished their season with 1812 Overture, which you may know includes canon blasts.  The Symphony got a dozen or so canons for the concert (as well as brought in San Diego State University marching band members to add extra umph in the brass department) and it was a blast (err...I didn't mean that as a pun but whatever)!
2) If you have the means, you should DEFINITELY check out the Hollywood Bowl John Williams concert he does annually with the LA Phil.  He often conducts 'themed' concerts, but also plays the classics.  One year I went he did an hour-long Harry Potter thing with actress Lynn Redgrave doing narration.  The back half was all the John Williams classics.
Another time I went he programmed "Cowboy" music, with both his amazing "Cowboy" score as well as his awesome "The Reivers," with narration from legendary singer James Taylor (who also played solo for a song).  That back half not only included maybe my all-time favorite piece of John Williams score ("The Asteroid Field" directly into "Han and the Princess" from EMPIRE STRIKES BACK), but also an amazing 'accompaniment' to a lengthy sequence from INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.  The John Williams concerts I've attend have all been among the entertainment highlights of my life, and I can't recommend enough to anyone who can make it out. 
This year's concerts are September 2, 3, and 4 and you can check out info here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At the Hollywood Bowl you can do a picnic or buy food/wine/beer at the venue.  And if it's John Williams you can bring a lightsaber or purchase a generic one onsite (and laugh when a symphony member or two pulls one out during a Star Wars song, often "Imperial March" where hundreds of attendees pull out a lightsaber and conduct along with the music)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
For waiting in line for the premiere:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 08:50:47 AM »
I get that it's cool because its the "world" premiere, but it looks not so good.  Especially after the last movie.  So is it because you're a star trek fan or?  I'm genuinely curious because while this is cool, I'm still more excited for Hop Con.  I guess that's what makes SDCC so great, different events for different fans.

I think this movie almost HAS to be better than the last one (at least I'm hoping/can't imagine it would be worse).  I personally am more hyped for the live accompaniment than "OMG seeing the new ST movie early" as other fans might be thinking.  I think also the spectacle/hype of being able to go to a high-profile exclusive event is a big deal for a lot of people.  I know people who are only marginal at-best casual Trek fans who are excited about this event just for the excitement of it all.  Add to that the thought that there are very few crowds as fun to see movies with than Comic-Con peeps, and I can see why a lot of folks would be excited for this.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
I think this movie almost HAS to be better than the last one (at least I'm hoping/can't imagine it would be worse).  I personally am more hyped for the live accompaniment than "OMG seeing the new ST movie early" as other fans might be thinking.  I think also the spectacle/hype of being able to go to a high-profile exclusive event is a big deal for a lot of people.  I know people who are only marginal at-best casual Trek fans who are excited about this event just for the excitement of it all.  Add to that the thought that there are very few crowds as fun to see movies with than Comic-Con peeps, and I can see why a lot of folks would be excited for this.

Yeah, all of this for me. I'm sort of interested in this event, even though I HATED Into Darkness so much I vowed to never watch another Abramsverse Star Trek. But this second trailer looks much better, and this one is neither written nor directed by Abrams. Plus my husband and I really enjoy the live symphony performances of geeky things - we went to the Zelda concert last year and we're going to Harry Potter in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl on July 8th. And it's really fun to attend the "big" events at Comic-Con.

I don't know. We don't do preview night or Hop Con (we don't like beer), so for us it will depend on what the process to get in looks like. If there's something to enter to win passes, we'll probably try it. If it's just, start lining up six hours before and hope, we won't bother.

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
I must have been very forgiving the day I watched into darkness.  I don't remember it being that bad.  that being said I haven't watched it again except every now and then on tnt I believe. 

there were so many parts of that star wars concert at last years con that were great.  to see all the actors on stage so excited to be there as well although boyega is maybe a little too over the top for me but anyway.

the clips.  the music.  the lightsabers.  the actors/actresses.  the fireworks.  the surprise.  and everyone there such a concentrated collections of star wars fans it was insane.

cool to hear it was so secret.  I was just too busy with all con stuff to know if it had gotten out beforehand.  I sure didn't go fishing on the net for "big surprise at star wars panel" haha.  people were offering 50-100 dollars for our guest passes as we were walking to the concert. 

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »
watching the sdcc coverage last year from home I have to say the concert with the lightsabers was by far the coolest thing in a few years

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »
I'm definitely going to be on the look out for tickets for this. I'm known in my group for being oddly good at receiving tickets for advance movie screenings, etc. so here is hoping that luck transfers over - fingers crossed -

FWIW the typical concert seating for that venue:

* grandstand (which I don't think they can easily move out, though I could be wrong)
* LOTS of open lawn-space
* highest priced tix = tables near the front of the stage that are four seats per table.  I don't know how many tables, but there aren't a ton of them

I don't know what they typically do for the Comic-Con concerts at this venue, so I don't know what is different for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cleared out ALL of the tables, installed some sort of temporary seating chairs for the bulk of it, and then maybe standing room only/lawn seating or bleachers for us peons

That's pretty much exactly how they do it for the SDCC concerts. I've been to a fair few of them (in fact, the very first time I went to SDCC was actually BECAUSE of a Summer Pops Final Fantasy concert on the marina there when I was like 10.) There is also usually open-lawn space that I think people can get tickets to just sit on. It's pretty far back. At least, I recall that from one or two concerts, but that may not be a regular thing. There is of course also room taken up by merchandise stands etc. at those concerts (concert t-shirts ftw), which I imagine may not be present/needed at all for this event.

The tables that are in the closer section (I've sat there a few times, they're the section right in front of the stage) are usually pretty decently spaced. Like, A LOT of free space. There is a LOT of room that could be utilized if you are going for theater style seating (like they do in the further sections) instead of tables that all need a good amount of space around them for moving. Some of the tables are also only set up to seat 2 people per table as well, they're not all 4 people in my experience. For some SDCC concerts they completely remove the table section and just do regular theater style set-up. But that specifically was only for one years ago, so I can't say exactly how that changes capacity.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:19:21 PM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Yeah, all of this for me. I'm sort of interested in this event, even though I HATED Into Darkness so much I vowed to never watch another Abramsverse Star Trek. But this second trailer looks much better, and this one is neither written nor directed by Abrams.

Just butting in here to say that I hate STID so much, whenever I hear anyone talk about it, I have to bust through the wall like the Kool-Aid Man to tell people how bad it is.

Having said that, I was at the Fan Event and the clips they showed looked way way better than STID, particularly the quieter moments.  I am cautiously optimistic.