Author Topic: Comic-Con@Home 2021 Panels By The Numbers  (Read 3711 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Comic-Con@Home 2021 Panels By The Numbers
« on: July 26, 2021, 08:21:46 PM »
So again this year we can get some insight into the popularity of all the panels that were presented during Comic-Con@Home 2021.

If you think about how we attend panels at a normal Comic-Con, where we would normally sit through one or more earlier panels to see the one that we want.
I'm sure we've all been at a panel in Hall H where one panelist will comment on how so many people came out to see their panel, while in fact, most were there to see Marvel or DC later in the day.
This year, like last, we again had the ability to choose to watch only the panels we wanted to see and skip those that we were not interested in.

I went ahead and compiled a list of all the panels from each day along with the number of YouTube views listed for each panel.
What I found this year was that the most popular panel by far was the Dragon Ball Special Panel, followed by the Disney Animation Panel, and then The Walking Dead panel.

Here is a snapshot taken on Monday July 26 at around 6PM PDT of the viewing numbers for all the Comic-Con@Home 2021 panels for each day of the Con.
Thoughts? Surprises?

Wednesday - Thursday Panels
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Friday Panels

Saturday Panels

Sunday Panels

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Comic-Con@Home 2021 Panels By The Numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
Just like last year the view counts are very low.  Having it during the Olympics doesn't help.  I have to admit that I only skimmed two panels, Fear and Dr. Who.  I didn't spend more than 5 minutes on each.  The Dr. Who panel at least had the cast all in one room instead of everyone on a separate zoom window.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:29:20 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 05:04:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So again this year we can get some insight into the popularity of all the panels that were presented during Comic-Con@Home 2021.

If you think about how we attend panels at a normal Comic-Con, where we would normally sit through one or more earlier panels to see the one that we want.
I'm sure we've all been at a panel in Hall H where one panelist will comment on how so many people came out to see their panel, while in fact, most were there to see Marvel or DC later in the day.
This year, like last, we again had the ability to choose to watch only the panels we wanted to see and skip those that we were not interested in.

I went ahead and compiled a list of all the panels from each day along with the number of YouTube views listed for each panel.
What I found this year was that the most popular panel by far was the Dragon Ball Special Panel, followed by the Disney Animation Panel, and then The Walking Dead panel.

Here is a snapshot taken on Monday July 26 at around 6PM PDT of the viewing numbers for all the Comic-Con@Home 2021 panels for each day of the Con.
Thoughts? Surprises?

Wednesday - Thursday Panels

Friday Panels

Saturday Panels

Sunday Panels

Thanks for this compilation of data.  I really dig diving into statistics like this (something I hated in college = Statistics class: go figure).  While the numbers look "low," I suspect the majority of these panels got more views than they would've in person.  For example, The Simpsons panel had 15,871: typically it's in Ballroom 20 which has a max capacity of 4800.  Fear the Walking Dead in Hall H would get 6500 (and that includes a not insignificant amount of reserved press and staffers who occupy the 'VIP' seats near the front that are blocked off) while here it got 25,293
The smaller Sunday panels (the quietest day at The Con attendance-wise), got between 147-200+ which also still feels bigger than if folks were in the room.

I don't know what the expectations were of these views, but when compared to SDCCI in-person numbers of these panels, this still feels good.  I saw some panels this year, and The Simpsons panel was a lot of fun with artists & writers paired up in a sort of 'Pictionary'-esque game, where they'd draw characters and the writer would have to guess the name; or situations and the writer would have to guess the episode title.  Central Park (a favorite Apple TV+ series of mine) panel had actual fans (preselected somehow that I didn't catch) that zoomed in to ask questions of talent from the show.

Once again, I think CCI did the best w/what they had.  At the end of the day, the panels are ALWAYS only as good as the panelists, and for free this was fun. 

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:48:26 AM »
This is incredible information.  I was a bit surprised at the large number of views on some panels...just about every panel had more views than they would have had 'bodies' at a live event.  The money thing popped in my head.  If CCI could generate income from an online event as some other organizations have been doing, I think that would be cool. Though, money that some other organizations have been able to generate have been from autographs and private chats for fees.  I have attended some other online events only viewing the free events.  I dunno, the con world has become so complicated and freeing at the same time.  I do believe it has been changed forever.  We can never go back to the way it was completely..and I think this is positive.  Thanks again for this info You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:33:46 PM »
Thanks for the comparative statistics!

My panel (Podcasting 101) got over 500 views so I'm pretty happy so far. It is true that less people would have seen it in person since it would likely have been in a smaller room and could not be viewed at different times rather than the live time.