Author Topic: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?  (Read 11582 times)

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
Re: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »
Well, considering that the Staples Center houses three professional teams that will still be playing at that time it is almost a certainty that one of them will have a game during Wondercon. That ought to make the traffic/parking situation completely unbearable.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, considering that the Staples Center houses three professional teams that will still be playing at that time it is almost a certainty that one of them will have a game during Wondercon. That ought to make the traffic/parking situation completely unbearable.

Well, the Lakers and the Clippers did have a game last Sunday (or, rather, Day 3 of WonderCon), so I actually think it's a good possibility that an NBA game will happen at the Staples Center next year...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 06:44:03 AM »

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
Well, the Lakers and the Clippers did have a game last Sunday (or, rather, Day 3 of WonderCon), so I actually think it's a good possibility that an NBA game will happen at the Staples Center next year...
However this may be viewed by some as an attraction/appeal. Much like Disneyland for WC attendees at Anaheim Convention Center, go check out a Laker/Clipper/Kings game at your stay in LA. The games are 7:30 pm so for some could be a cool fun night time experience. I know I have that boyhood dream to visit all the MLB ballparks so maybe this will be great for those attendees. If I hadn't gone to several Laker games over the years (Game 7 of Western Conference Semis vs Houston in their back to back 2009-2010 season) and didn't live in LA my entire life minus the past decade I'd consider it.

But maybe Comic Con carries so much weight the Staples Center won't book a game during that stretch ... wishful thinking ... bring on the LA traffic!
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
However this may be viewed by some as an attraction/appeal. Much like Disneyland for WC attendees at Anaheim Convention Center, go check out a Laker/Clipper/Kings game at your stay in LA. The games are 7:30 pm so for some could be a cool fun night time experience. I know I have that boyhood dream to visit all the MLB ballparks so maybe this will be great for those attendees. If I hadn't gone to several Laker games over the years (Game 7 of Western Conference Semis vs Houston in their back to back 2009-2010 season) and didn't live in LA my entire life minus the past decade I'd consider it.

But maybe Comic Con carries so much weight the Staples Center won't book a game during that stretch ... wishful thinking ... bring on the LA traffic!

True.  That could be one way to look at it, especially for sports fans who happen to also enjoy WonderCon or Comic-Con.  Go to the convention for a day or two, stay for the basketball game on Sunday after the show's over.  There will be lots of traffic going to and out of Downtown L.A. for sure in either direction.  I can just imagine how crazy it will be, and I've been around the L.A. Live area when there was a game at the Staples Center as well.  Ha ha.

My best advice to anyone who is planning to attend WonderCon 2016 is to commute by public transportation to the LACC, as others have stated in this thread.  Avoid driving altogether if you can.  ^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 11:09:29 AM »
This actually makes it so I may attend WonderCon next year. I have always wanted to check it out at least once, and this may be my opportunity. Only because I can get a non-stop flight to LA and then take public transportation to the LACC. DH just prefers flying somewhere non-stop if he can (at least for vacation type things-we have no choice but to transfer planes when we fly to see my family in Oklahoma).
Ang

Offline RobT2K

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:53 AM »
There is an L.A. Metro station in Long Beach that has free parking.  I can just park my car in Long Beach and take the blue line light rail to the L.A. Convention Center.
This sounds like a decent option, I'm coming from San Diego, the drive to long beach isn't bad at all. I'm hoping to avoid the drive into downtown L.A.
Will it be possible to leave my car in long beach for the whole weekend? At the free lot?
"Randall Flagg" -Buying group #2

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
You may want to take the train to downtown LA from SD, and then take blue line down to the convention center.

The Blue line up from Long Beach goes through the roughest part of town and goes slowly because it's running on the surface streets near down town.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 06:39:03 PM »
i just finally converted the audio recording of the talk back panel

i've put a perm link into the records in the archive area too

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Late to the party, but I'll chime in:

2015 was the only year I didn't attend WonderCon in Anaheim; the only reason I missed out was because I was in Europe that weekend.  My son and I have really enjoyed going to WonderCon in Anaheim over the years for just about every reason: fun stuff to do around town, easy(ish) drive from San Diego where we live, ease of getting around Anaheim & parking, etc.  The trip to the LA Convention Center is adds about 30-45 min. onto our drive which isn't horrible but I'm just not a huge fan of L.A.  I might go up for a day just to check things out but I can't imagine I will go for the entire weekend (unless programming is better in 2016 than it looked in 2015).  I sincerely hope this is a one or two year thing and WonderCon returns to Anaheim: I will continue going to Anaheim. But LA isn't by scene; I'll see how it goes and maybe if its not that bad (or if programming rocks) the extra miles & L.A. won't bug me so much.

Offline seerakosumosu

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2015, 12:41:27 AM »
For anyone interested in parking overnight, there are a couple overnight lots in downtown LA that charge less than $20 per night, three specifically to my knowledge. They're just a bit out of the way, several blocks from the convention center. No need to pay those exorbitant hotel parking fees. You have to be careful though, since some aren't overnight.

There are several new hotels, like the Courtyard and Renaissance by Marriott. But LA hotels are costly and not con-adjacent.