Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137535 times)

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
EmeraldMom, I just want to reassure you that both the shuttle system and the trolley system are pretty convenient.  I'm sure right now it may look intimidating and complex but rest assured that if you have to rely on either, you'll see tons of other con goers doing the same and if you're ever unsure about directions or what lines to take, there's always people you can ask.
brand4d2, thank you so much for the info and kind words.... never dreamed I would get badges and now dealing with this hotel mess..... :o
Everyone on this forum have been incredibly kind and generous with their knowledge and I for one am VERY thankful!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Nancy

• Gaming Lounge
    • Quiet Superstitions
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2015, 05:24:17 PM »
Thank you all for the info regarding the trolley!

This year we'll be in early enough to actually get to Town and Country to pick our badges up (we usually just collect them from the convention centre on Thursday) and the trolley looks like a better option than the shuttle.

The app makes everything SUPER easy, though I do like the sound of these commemorative paper tickets  :D

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #197 on: Today at 02:46:59 PM »

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2015, 02:26:03 AM »
Just wondering the free shuttle service from Mission Valley area. Is there normally a long line to wait to take the shuttle? I mean, would you expect likely not the 1st shuttle you would catch but possibly the one after? How often abouts do the shuttles come?

Offline frostywontons

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
Just wondering the free shuttle service from Mission Valley area. Is there normally a long line to wait to take the shuttle? I mean, would you expect likely not the 1st shuttle you would catch but possibly the one after? How often abouts do the shuttles come?

It depends on the hotel in which you are staying and the overall traffic. Although it can be difficult to determine inwhich direction the shuttle runs, do check the 2014 shuttle map and find your hotel's position to give yourself a general idea. Moreover, the shuttle is very reliable and the wait time is never too problematic, even during peak days (e.g. Saturday). Each shuttle has a dedicated route and they are suppose to run every 15min (per traffic) so frequency is not an issue. In my experience, the shuttle is worst on the return trip because then you have to deal with the general SD traffic, and if you happen to get a driver who does not fully know his route/navigating SD (CCI contracts drivers so this happens more often than not).

Offline itsmarty

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »

I've only stayed in Mission Valley once, but there were definitely occasions that year where the shuttles were too full to pick up everyone. I thought overall the shuttle system worked out well and Mission Valley is not a bad place to stay, but I strongly recommend planning to take the shuttle before the one you think you need.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2015, 11:00:40 AM »
I highly recommend Transit App for iOS and android for everyone that will be using the trolley.  Route maps, station stops, schedules, next arrivals - it's all there for you.   

About the Mission Valley shuttles, I only have experience with the route that goes to the Hilton and Doubletree and I don't recall ever having to wait for another shuttle on account of it being full.  Mind you, I started very early in the morning - usually 5 am-ish.  Even on the return trips to the hotel, there might be a fair amount of people but I don't recall having such long lines that I'd have to wait for another one. 

Offline 22soulatker

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »
My hotel is about 10Miles from the Center. Would it be possible to take a cab to the convention so i can get there before 5AM??

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
My hotel is about 10Miles from the Center. Would it be possible to take a cab to the convention so i can get there before 5AM??

It is possible, but it might end up to be really expensive (due to the ticking meter) and you'll have to call a cab directly to your hotel.

I would also call your hotel and ask if they have any shuttle or transportation services (or discounts) to the Downtown San Diego area.  They may or may not have any information, but contacting them is a good way to see if they know about anything that can help you.

Use this time to look for different transportation options online.  ^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »

LYFT and UBER are great options, but UBER seems to get better kudos based on recent yelp reviews.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline karl clement

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 136
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
It is possible, but it might end up to be really expensive (due to the ticking meter) and you'll have to call a cab directly to your hotel.

I would also call your hotel and ask if they have any shuttle or transportation services (or discounts) to the Downtown San Diego area.  They may or may not have any information, but contacting them is a good way to see if they know about anything that can help you.

Use this time to look for different transportation options online.  ^__^d
Smts is very cost effective, I used aa cab my first year not worth it, check the public transit  some routes start as early as 4:30-5am
SDCC 2013,2014,2015,2016
FanExpo  2011,2012, 2015
Montreal CC  2011, 2013
Ottawa CC 2013
Cornwall CAPE 2015, 2016

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
I like to get the commemorative Comic-Con passes for trolley. You can't get them until PN though. But they can be purchased at Qualcomm, Fashion Valley and Convention Center stops.....and some others too, but not at all stations, most trolley stations aren't manned with a person selling tickets and only have self-serve kiosks. Those kiosks will not distribute the cool commemorative passes.

I like those too, just checked You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and they are saying that the commemorative passes are for sale now at the downtown transit store, would love to know if that's true since we'll be in town a bit early this year. For people interested, you have to find the manned kiosks and pay cash. Also good to note that the trolley passes also work on the buses, the MTS app won't.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had to show their pass on the trolley?

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Never, not once. And only a few times on the Metrolink train that runs from upper parts of southern California down to the top of San Diego county. I've been checked more often on the San Diego north county "Sprinter" train than the rest combined.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »
I like those too, just checked You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and they are saying that the commemorative passes are for sale now at the downtown transit store, would love to know if that's true since we'll be in town a bit early this year. For people interested, you have to find the manned kiosks and pay cash. Also good to note that the trolley passes also work on the buses, the MTS app won't.

I've been checked often, but never during SDCC.....they are always on checking them when there's a Padres game though
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline friedminded

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2015, 01:09:36 AM »
I like those too, just checked You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and they are saying that the commemorative passes are for sale now at the downtown transit store
That's awesome, I didn't know that they made these.

It's worth noting that day passes can be used on buses too, even though they only mention trolleys on that page.

Offline rk23

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
I've had my transit pass checked now and then on the trolley, but never during SDCC.  It's always been too mobbed for an enforcement officer to even work their way through the trolley car.  But it could always happen. 

If you stick your paper pass in your badge holder, BTW, you may want to seal the top of the holder somehow (I make my clip go through both layers of the holder).  Back when I was less careful, my (four day!) pass fell out on the exhibit hall floor.  That was painful. 

That said, paper may be the best option -- I'd certainly recommend against the mticket app, because you never know when you might end up wanting to take a bus, and it's not as though you get a discount for going trolley-only.  Also, a paper ticket may be slightly more convenient than having your ticket on a Compass card -- you have to tap the Compass card on a machine at the trolley stop each time before you board, and with crowds, it can get hard to find or access the machines.  I don't have a choice, since I have a monthly pass on a Compass card, but the paper pass (once you obtain it) seems like the easiest option if you're going to ride a lot.

(Also, FYI, a single day pass can be purchased on a bus ($5 if you have a Compass card to load it on, $7 if they have to print you a paper pass) but multi-day passes cannot be purchased on buses.)