Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137532 times)

Offline itsmarty

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 13
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I live close to Mission station, in South Pas.
Thank you so much for helping me out!
I also found out about the Greyhound busses. Is this a good option as well? I find the trains very expensive.

It's not a good option for time, because it takes much longer, but it's a good option for cost. It really depends on what is more important for you for this trip.

Offline zep

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »
This isn't exactly a public transit question but is about getting around SD so I thought it might be ok to ask. How is SD for cycling? Pretty easy to navigate through the downtown and surroundings? Bike friendly?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 02:17:40 PM »

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »
This isn't exactly a public transit question but is about getting around SD so I thought it might be ok to ask. How is SD for cycling? Pretty easy to navigate through the downtown and surroundings? Bike friendly?

uhh. Id rather be cycling than driving in gaslamp area. But not sure how safe your bike will be at the convention center, or left in front of restaurants or whatever.

Im not a cyclist though.. being anti-spandex and all.

I wouldnt want to be walking or cycling near the freeways, or further out. seams more industrial and dangerous.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »

You can try looking at this website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This page is specifically for bicyclist commuters in San Diego.  It might help with researching paths and so forth.

Hope that helps! ^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
i haven't seen any place to lock a bike up. i didn't look but would have noticed if i had seen a spot. 

if i was planing on taking a bike, i'd lock it up a couple of blocks away from the con or maybe behind the con? I'd also only take a beater bike.

jopari, not everyone wears lycra..there's folks who ride in the wood with baggie shorts.  yeah, i work for pearl izumi...

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
I honestly recommending just getting a MTS trolley pass and using it to get around San Diego during Comic-Con instead.  MTS hasn't updated their Comic-Con trolley info page yet, but here it is for reference: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They'll likely update it in a few months.

Although if you really would like to try biking to the convention center as an option... (San Diego is rather nice outside in July, even if it's a bit warm during the day at times.)

As for storing your bike, there are some bicycle lockers located at the Gaslamp Transit Center.  You can take a look at the location on the map on the web page I provided in the other post (here's a link for convenience: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).  If you zoom in to E. Harbor Drive, where the convention center is located, you can see a diamond with a bike logo on it--that's a transit center.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zep

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2014, 03:59:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the information. I'm not actually planning to cycle much once I'm in San Diego (I'll be leaving my bike at the hotel) but as I am cycling the west coast this summer I will be arriving and departing from SD by bike. I'm use to cycling in large cities so I'm not too worried about traffic and such but its always good to get any information about how bike friendly a city is and areas to absolutely avoid.
Thanks again for all the responses.

As for spandex, when I started cycling/running many moons ago I resisted the spandex but eventually caved and now I wouldn't give up its exercise comfort for anything. Don't fight the spandex. Embrace it.
Pearl Izumi rocks.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2014, 06:02:46 AM »
i have had countless convo's abt lycra....and that's my basic comment,
"eventually you will be so uncomfortable you won't care abt the stigma of wearing Lycra. it's just a fact."

Sounds like a fabulous summer trip!

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:57 AM »
Can I wear spanx underneath the lycra? ;)

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
So I'm going solo. Just wondering how safe is it in LA to go in a cab solo from the airport early morning? Because there is a BIG difference in price going via flight to san diego or the train. The thing is I looked up google and its probably about 30 mins from the airport to the train station (union station.).

I would think I should be alright with the cab lol although last time I went in one the cab driver was trying to pick me up so I'm abit cautious about going in them lol. Is there a particular taxi company you'd recommend. Or which way would be safest solo to get to San Diego?

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
So I'm going solo. Just wondering how safe is it in LA to go in a cab solo from the airport early morning? Because there is a BIG difference in price going via flight to san diego or the train. The thing is I looked up google and its probably about 30 mins from the airport to the train station (union station.).

I would think I should be alright with the cab lol although last time I went in one the cab driver was trying to pick me up so I'm abit cautious about going in them lol. Is there a particular taxi company you'd recommend. Or which way would be safest solo to get to San Diego?
I don't have any cab recommendations, but unless you have a LOT of stuff, I'd recommend using the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. A one way ticket is $8 and they have stops at every terminal. The bus goes directly to Union Station and the trip usually takes less than 45 minutes once you leave LAX. (I've usually gotten there in 30 minutes or less).

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »

I don't have any cab recommendations, but unless you have a LOT of stuff, I'd recommend using the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. A one way ticket is $8 and they have stops at every terminal. The bus goes directly to Union Station and the trip usually takes less than 45 minutes once you leave LAX. (I've usually gotten there in 30 minutes or less).

Using the Flyaway shuttle from LAX to get to Union Station in Downtown L.A. is definitely a good idea.  Then, from Union Station, take the Amtrak train to the San Diego Downtown station (it's close to the Santa Fe Depot, and it's designated as "SAN" on the Amtrak website when you book the ticket).  Depending on where is your hotel, evanarose, you can take a taxi (or trolley) to get there.

It also would be much cheaper than using a taxi to get to and from the airport.

I like taking the Flyaway--many people use it too.  It's very cheap and convenient, and you don't have to worry about driving directions or getting lost if you're not familiar with the L.A. freeways and streets.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:40:56 PM by Zero »

Offline Ghost6

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2014, 12:15:22 AM »
Don't forget that reservations will most likely be required the week of sdcc if you plan on taking the train into sd.  I cannot recommend taking the train more highly...not driving in heavy traffic, enjoying the coastline and arriving fully rested is a complete blessing.

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2014, 03:04:56 PM »
I know it doesn't sound like the smartest idea....but given my time in LA is limited. I was thinking on the day off comic con to head to Disneyland. I heard there are a few day tour companies that do a  daytrip? Although i can't seem to find the place online. Is there a shuttle? Or which way is best? I know people say its better to spend 2 days but not much time for me, i only got 2 days in LA after comic con.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
I know it doesn't sound like the smartest idea....but given my time in LA is limited. I was thinking on the day off comic con to head to Disneyland. I heard there are a few day tour companies that do a  daytrip? Although i can't seem to find the place online. Is there a shuttle? Or which way is best? I know people say its better to spend 2 days but not much time for me, i only got 2 days in LA after comic con.

Truthfully, it's easier to take the Amtrak train from San Diego to Angel Stadium (in Anaheim, where Disneyland is).

Let me look up my old posts... I wrote a blurb about the easiest way to go to Disneyland from San Diego a while back, since someone asked a similar question. ^__^;

Here's the post I made about using the Amtrak to get to Disneyland:

Hope that helps! ^__^
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:30:34 PM by Zero »