Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211126 times)

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2019, 07:30:55 AM »
I haven't heard many people put Omni on their list of must-have hotels. Is it just too far away when compared to the other Con adjacent hotels?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:37:20 AM by Virgo911 »

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #541 on: April 05, 2019, 07:37:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't heard many people put Omni on their list of must-have hotels. Is it just too far away?

It’s my top choice! It’s actually right across the street from the convention center! It’s just really hard to get.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #542 on: Today at 09:57:38 AM »

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #542 on: April 05, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
It’s my top choice! It’s actually right across the street from the convention center! It’s just really hard to get.

Thanks!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #543 on: April 05, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
I haven't heard many people put Omni on their list of must-have hotels. Is it just too far away when compared to the other Con adjacent hotels?

I’ve stayed here 3x. I have mixed feelings on it.

Pros
* Right next to Con. So convenient to drop off stuff mid-day or just to go back for a nap.
* Easy access to a ton of food and offsites. I mean, the Game of Thrones off-site is right across the street. And there’s usually a virtual reality offsite in the Omni (at least for past two years).
* If you get the right room, awesome view of the convention center and bay.
* Decent chance of celeb sightings (though nowhere near as good as Hilton Bayfront / Marriott Marquis / Hard Rock)

Cons
* It gets very loud at night since it’s right next to Gaslamp with all the parties and hubbub going on. And strangely enough, it gets loud really early in the morning too.
* WiFi experience has been spotty
* Some of the rooms have bathrooms with sliding doors that leave a gap that you can peer in. Not the best for privacy.

Overall though, I always put Omni as my #1 or #2 pick.

Offline Captain_R

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #544 on: April 05, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
A friend of mine requested a suite at the Hard Rock and got it no problem.  The suites there are weird though.  I do not recommend lol.

If you're aiming for larger hotels for a good shot at rooms, here's a breakdown..

Hilton Bayfront: 1,190
Marriott Marquis & Marina: 1,362
MGH: 1,628

But those three are also the most competitive (except maybe the Hard Rock?) so number of rooms doesn't increase your odds by too much.

I was planning on getting a suite at the Hard Rock this year. Can you tell me whats weird about it and why you wouldn't recommend it?

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #545 on: April 05, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
It's a full breakfast with omelets and what not. (And there's a Dunks :) )

We're staying at the Homewood Suites in Little Italy this year and will do a review afterwards. One of their options is a suite with 2 separate bedrooms, a sofa bed, free breakfast and a full kitchen.  It's not part of the official sale so they do raise their prices during SDCC but we're using it in lieu of 2 rooms elsewhere and it should work out a bit cheaper.

I love how Little Italy has gone through renovations and upgrades the past few years.  My wife and I prefer to go Little Italy for dinner instead of the Gaslamp now.   There a couple of new hotels in that area, one of which I stayed at a couple of year ago, the SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront.   It's a nice new hotel and IIRC breakfast is included.  I think some of the suites have fully usable kitchens, a big plus and shuttle is not too bad and there's the train station nearby as an alternative.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #546 on: April 05, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
checking room at major hotels near convention center $1000 a night right now

Yeah don't buy outside the Hotelpocalypse if you can help it.  The prices are insane.

It's always on my list.  Usually 3-4 on my list of six.  It's good.  It's right at the same intersection as the Hard Rock and Hilton Gaslamp.  Not far at all and the price is right.  With so many hotels right at the same spot at the same price, my deciding factors tend to be extra perks.  I'm a Hilton Honors member so the Hilton's usually jump up my list as a result.

Offline Psylocke16

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #547 on: April 05, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Any input/experience staying on Coronado Island?

I know those hotels aren't on the shuttle route but looking at a map it seems Ubering in off peak hours may be an okay alternative?

This is our first year going to SDCC so it's exciting but overwhelming at the same time!

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #548 on: April 05, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
Do most people think we will get the hotel email today? I checked last years email & I received it at 2:07pm PT. Seems like we usually hear buzz about it beforehand, though, from SDCC Unofficial Blog. Any thoughts?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #549 on: April 05, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
Do most people think we will get the hotel email today? I checked last years email & I received it at 2:07pm PT. Seems like we usually hear buzz about it beforehand, though, from SDCC Unofficial Blog. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts would be conjecture, but my guess is next week. Say the lottery will be held the 17th.  Though if we go by the early bird, then the lottery will be around the 25th.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #550 on: April 05, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »

I know those hotels aren't on the shuttle route but looking at a map it seems Ubering in off peak hours may be an okay alternative?

This is our first year going to SDCC so it's exciting but overwhelming at the same time!

I have no experience staying on Coronado Island, but my first time, I stayed on Shelter Island (missed the hotel sale), and took the shuttle.  The shuttle worked great and is 'free'.  My advice for a first timer...  If you don't get anything downtown, pick a hotel on the shuttle route.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:51:51 AM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #551 on: April 05, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »

I stayed at the Marriott Coronado a few years ago, but not during SDCC.  The room I stayed in was quite large and it's quiet.   IIRC, there's a market place and restaurants within walking distance along the harbor.  It will be probably be less crowded than the Gaslamp district that's directly across the street from the convention center.   I actually ended up with the Marriott Coronado last year during the hotel lottery, but gave it to a fellow FOCC member who was very happy to have it because of the large room being able to accommodate his family.  I liked staying there.

There is a ferry boat behind the Marriott that will take you across the harbor and will drop you off right behind the convention center.  I think the cost was like $5 per person each way, so the cost can build up for families and couples.   The ferry does change extend it's service schedule for SDCC.  Here's the schedule from 2017.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:43:53 AM by Darth_Primus »

Offline Psylocke16

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #552 on: April 05, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »
Thank you so much!! Very helpful input, I appreciate it    ^-^

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #553 on: April 05, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »

It's definitely my #1, for one very specific reason: they have the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on, no lie. I've stayed at other downtown hotels, MMM and Marriott Gaslamp come to mind, but never have I gotten such a comfortable, GOOD night's sleep at SDCC. One of my group members had a step counter app on her phone, she tracked our miles, and we walked 27 miles in four and a half days that year, but I would wake up feeling brand new every day, and I swear it had to be the mattress.

Seconding what was said about the weird sliding bathroom doors: if you get an Omni room, better hope you're comfortable with the rest of your group, because those doors don't offer much in the way of privacy.

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #554 on: April 05, 2019, 12:13:06 PM »
It's definitely my #1, for one very specific reason: they have the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on, no lie. I've stayed at other downtown hotels, MMM and Marriott Gaslamp come to mind, but never have I gotten such a comfortable, GOOD night's sleep at SDCC. One of my group members had a step counter app on her phone, she tracked our miles, and we walked 27 miles in four and a half days that year, but I would wake up feeling brand new every day, and I swear it had to be the mattress.

Seconding what was said about the weird sliding bathroom doors: if you get an Omni room, better hope you're comfortable with the rest of your group, because those doors don't offer much in the way of privacy.
And you can have one of your own if you want, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:)