Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211013 times)

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #720 on: April 09, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree with everything here. Whatever you can make unique, do so. I know married couples who use different addressees on their forms (like their parents' addy). Also, never once has a hotel validated my occupant list. So I always put fake names for those (except for myself, of course).

I even go one extra step (and this is just me being unreasonably paranoid) and make sure if my group is submitting multiple forms, we're all submitting from different IP addresses. So if we're in the same room, one person will be on VPN, while the other won't be.
I usually have multiple browsers open on several devices(desktop, laptop, iPad) for hotel lottery. I can use VPN, but should I not use more than one browser per device? I thought was only an issue with the badge sale, not hotel lottery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #721 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:15 PM »
How suiting that Hotelpocalypse occurs a few days before the Game of Thrones premiere.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #722 on: Today at 05:56:05 AM »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #722 on: April 09, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
I usually have multiple browsers open on several devices(desktop, laptop, iPad) for hotel lottery. I can use VPN, but should I not use more than one browser per device? I thought was only an issue with the badge sale, not hotel lottery?

Well, like I said, I use different IPs mainly out of paranoia, and also because like others have said, we simply do not know how OnPeak detects duplicate entries nor what they consider duplicates. It could be as basic as phone number, or it could be IP addresses or email addresses or physical addresses or some combination.

So to answer your question, no one knows for 100% certainty if it is an issue or not. If I had to guess, it's not an issue, but I wouldn't bet my savings on it.

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #723 on: April 09, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »
I wouldn't waste one of my picks on it.

I was thinking the same thing about the Pendry.  I felt cheated last year.  I will not waste a pick this year.
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline Automatic7

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #724 on: April 09, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »
So who else is looking for a paper bag to breathe into?!?

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #725 on: April 09, 2019, 06:47:20 PM »
I still haven't received an email. Is the link unique to your badge this year?

I believe the email IS only sent to badgeholders. So if you don't have a badge you'll need to find the link another way (but the link itself in non-unique and open to all).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last Year, CCI sent out the link on their social media channels and posted the url on the main CCI home page on the day of sale after 8am. 

see archive post You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Automatic7

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #726 on: April 09, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
How suiting that Hotelpocalypse occurs a few days before the Game of Thrones premiere.
  :D that’s right!

Offline Warren

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #727 on: April 09, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
Well, like I said, I use different IPs mainly out of paranoia, and also because like others have said, we simply do not know how OnPeak detects duplicate entries nor what they consider duplicates. It could be as basic as phone number, or it could be IP addresses or email addresses or physical addresses or some combination.

So to answer your question, no one knows for 100% certainty if it is an issue or not. If I had to guess, it's not an issue, but I wouldn't bet my savings on it.

The waiting room link seems to have identifying info.  Would they be using something from that to check for dupes?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #728 on: April 09, 2019, 06:53:43 PM »
Why does the waiting room open at 8am?  That's inhumane.  Why not at a civilized hour?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:01:02 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #729 on: April 09, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »
The Guild is a new hotel, but it's not on the list and when I check availability, there are no rooms available.

I wonder if studios are booking rooms there.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #730 on: April 09, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
Why at does the waiting room open at 8am?  That's inhumane.  Why not at a civilized hour?

That's 5am my time and 3am for one of my roommates, so consider yourself lucky.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #731 on: April 09, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
The waiting room link seems to have identifying info.  Would they be using something from that to check for dupes?

It's really easy to track someone through their browser even when on a different IP address.  IP's aren't really used to track people anymore.  That's why streaming services can geoblock even when you use a VPN.  The way most people leave their browsers configured, they are broadcasting who they are whenever they open up a page.  So if people are really worried about this, then they have to sanitize their browsers.  It's more complicated than just removing cookies.  It really depends on serious onpeak is about dups.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #732 on: April 09, 2019, 07:08:29 PM »
The Guild is a new hotel, but it's not on the list and when I check availability, there are no rooms available.

I wonder if studios are booking rooms there.

That's funny that The Guild isn't on the list. They even posted on this site a few months back supposedly welcoming Comic Con attendees before they opened.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #733 on: April 09, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »
It's really easy to track someone through their browser even when on a different IP address.  IP's aren't really used to track people anymore.  That's why streaming services can geoblock even when you use a VPN.  The way most people leave their browsers configured, they are broadcasting who they are whenever they open up a page.  So if people are really worried about this, then they have to sanitize their browsers.  It's more complicated than just removing cookies.  It really depends on serious onpeak is about dups.

Incognito mode for the win!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #734 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:39 PM »
Incognito mode for the win!

Incognito mode doesn't help.  It doesn't do what people think it does.  Primarily, what it does is that it won't keep records of activity while in incognito mode.  So it won't save any cookies picked up or  browser history while incognito.  Those things aren't relied on anymore to identify a browser.  They basically do nothing to prevent someone from identifying your browser and thus anyone associated with that browser.  What incognito mode does is make it difficult for anyone else that uses your computer to see what you've been doing.  It doesn't keep websites from identifying you.