Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211233 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
I'm a little torn.

It's no problem for me to do the hotel sale from my job, and the timing is right around lunch time, but my challenge is reminding myself.  I can get distracted...Especially around lunch time.

However, I have the option to work from home.  Since that's out of the norm for my routine, it will be a lot easier to remember.

What to do,....what to do???

:) :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline QTkeylala

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
I'm scared this year for hotels....I normally have a back up hotel already set in place before Hotelmaggedden, but this year I have nothing.  And we have NEVER got anything from this.  I have only gotten hotels from by back ups, or from the gracious people of FOCCI.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #797 on: Today at 01:31:21 PM »

Offline QTkeylala

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2019, 09:39:24 AM »
I always have a theory why they do it this way...especially on crappy work days...because just that...it really screws those that can't do it while working and not everyone will try, and less people, means less people to crash their servers.  LOL

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a little torn.

It's no problem for me to do the hotel sale from my job, and the timing is right around lunch time, but my challenge is reminding myself.  I can get distracted...Especially around lunch time.

However, I have the option to work from home.  Since that's out of the norm for my routine, it will be a lot easier to remember.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:37 AM »
I'm a little torn.

I'm in a similar boat, and I opted to block off my calendar for working from home that morning!  It will be easier for me to make sure no one drops by last minute to chat lol

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
I'm scared this year for hotels....I normally have a back up hotel already set in place before Hotelmaggedden, but this year I have nothing.  And we have NEVER got anything from this.  I have only gotten hotels from by back ups, or from the gracious people of FOCCI.

It may not be your most desirable option as a 'backup', but it's been my experience that there is always availability at the non-downtown hotels on the shuttle route after the hotel sale.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
It's borderline incompetent at best and actively cruel at worst, and I for one am deeply disappointed in CCI as an organization.

I can’t help but wonder if this kind of thing would’ve happened had John Rogers still been alive. To be fair, there’s been screwups under his watch, but this feels almost intentional.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #801 on: April 10, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »
Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but it mostly seems incompetent to me. Although, they MUST have known the date for weeks if not months. I have no idea why they wouldn't at least put up the hotel list sooner.

Also, as always, at least some of the blame lies with OnPeak. In what world does it make ANY SENSE AT ALL to hold one of the biggest, messiest hotel sales of the year ON THE SAME DAY many people are checking into their hotels at another major event you ALSO run? And OnPeak must have had input on the date.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #802 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but it mostly seems incompetent to me. Although, they MUST have known the date for weeks if not months. I have no idea why they wouldn't at least put up the hotel list sooner.

Also, as always, at least some of the blame lies with OnPeak. In what world does it make ANY SENSE AT ALL to hold one of the biggest, messiest hotel sales of the year ON THE SAME DAY many people are checking into their hotels at another major event you ALSO run? And OnPeak must have had input on the date.
Overheard at CCI headquarters:
Person 1: Weird, Twitter doesn't seem to have much buzz about Thursday's hotel sale.  You'd think more people would be excited!
Person 2: Yeah, maybe the email you sent went to their spam boxes or something.
Person 1: I thought YOU sent the email!

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #803 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »

The answer is simple.... they don't give a hoot about the atendees!

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #804 on: April 10, 2019, 10:13:34 AM »
I think they care.  I also think they're just incredibly disorganized.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #805 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:45 AM »
The answer is simple.... they don't give a hoot about the atendees!

Also, they tend not to get any hotel complaints at the official SDCC Talkback.  By then, most of the complaints are about lines for Hall H, and such.

I've always found that odd, but I think it's because the furor about the hotel sale really dies down by the time everyone actually gets to the convention (and has their hotel).

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »
Also, they tend not to get any hotel complaints at the official SDCC Talkback.  By then, most of the complaints are about lines for Hall H, and such.

I've always found that odd, but I think it's because the furor about the hotel sale really dies down by the time everyone actually gets to the convention (and has their hotel).

Maybe someone who attends the Talk Back should make it a point this year to mention it.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Apparently the hotel lottery finally got to me. I had a dream last night about it. Sheesh!  And what was crazy about the dream, I started seeing names of people joining in group buys to try and help one another. I had to beg people to try and join their group. (I woke-up, so I don't have an ending to my dream) But yes, I guess it finally hit me. Crazy

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
[member=4434]Angel_[/member] Every year I want to go to the talk back and rail at them about it... and every year I decide it's not worth the extra 90-120 minutes in back-to-LA traffic. :(

Offline karli2067

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »
Im glad I'm not the only one that dreamt about the hotel sale.  I dreamt that early this morning they announced the sale would be today and that I had slept through it! I am stressing so hard that I'm sure my coworkers/family/friends are tired of listening to me.  This forum is my favorite place to be right now since it makes me feel surrounded by like minded people! I've been begging for this sale to just happen already so I guess I got what I asked for