Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210910 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #840 on: April 10, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That makes me curious about the Bristol.  Why drop out?  Unless it's being used for a big block.  No offense to the Bristol, I LOVE it, but it doesn't feel like a VIP block kinda place. IDK man.

I've stayed at the Bristol once in my many years of attending. It's a VERY nice Boutique hotel.  Their prices seem to suggest they're a cheap hotel, but really far from it. I even enjoyed the restaurant in which I ordered a steak (though I know they've since changed it.) I can totally see what [member=4102]rickythump[/member] said, and a studio rented the entire place out. Studios have money, but doesn't mean they will just toss it away. Though, this is all guesses. We may not know till next year and see if the Bristol is back on the list.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #841 on: April 10, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
I've stayed at the Bristol once in my many years of attending. It's a VERY nice Boutique hotel.  Their prices seem to suggest they're a cheap hotel, but really far from it. I even enjoyed the restaurant in which I ordered a steak (though I know they've since changed it.) I can totally see what [member=4102]rickythump[/member] said, and a studio rented the entire place out. Studios have money, but doesn't mean they will just toss it away. Though, this is all guesses. We may not know till next year and see if the Bristol is back on the list.

I've stayed at the Bristol too but I have a different impression.  It's not high end. It's a small boutique hotel.  Fairly average with average to small rooms at a good price.  It's not like Hilton Bayfront, where everything is on the lower part of high end.  So yeah I'm not just talking based on price or outside appearance.  I have experience.  I've stayed at Bristol, MMM, Hilton Gaslamp, and Hilton Bayfront (and a random Mission Valley hotel once).  I've been around.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #842 on: Today at 01:44:37 AM »

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #842 on: April 10, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »
I've stayed there as well the first time I went to Comic Con. I think it's easy to think of a studio booking it and immediately think of HBO or Disney who have stars that are accustomed to higher end hotels - but there are also places like CBS/The CW that bring a huge amount of stuff every year and the talent probably don't need the same kind of experience a Disney headliner might.

I just checked and realized I had a backup bookend date for the Bristol reserved for Monday thru Wednesday of the con, maybe I'll stay there for the first two days and see if I can investigate, haha.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #843 on: April 10, 2019, 01:23:35 PM »
I've stayed there as well the first time I went to Comic Con. I think it's easy to think of a studio booking it an immediately think of like HBO or Disney who have stars that are accustomed to higher end hotels - but there is also places like CBS/The CW that bring a huge amount of stuff every year and probably don't need the same kind of experience a Disney headliner might.

I just checked and realized I had a backup bookend date for the Bristol reserved for Monday and Wednesday of the con, maybe I'll stay there for the first two days and see if I can investigate, haha.

This is a very very good point.  I can see the CW or CBS booking a mid range block.  Makes sense.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #844 on: April 10, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »
I've stayed at the Bristol too but I have a different impression.  It's not high end. It's a small boutique hotel.  Fairly average with average to small rooms at a good price.  It's not like Hilton Bayfront, where everything is on the lower part of high end.  So yeah I'm not just talking based on price or outside appearance.  I have experience.  I've stayed at Bristol, MMM, Hilton Gaslamp, and Hilton Bayfront (and a random Mission Valley hotel once).  I've been around.

Oh that's not what I was saying at all, I was taking it for what it is. Obviously I would not compare the Bristol with a 4* or 5*. I shouldn't have stereotyped it, but from the years I've been attending, many people (not you) seem to think the Bristol is bad due to their lower price. I thought for what you get, and their price, it was much nicer than I expected. Though the one year I stayed there, they upgraded me to the suite/studio whatever it was for free. So that also factored into why I enjoyed the place I'm sure. Only thing I didn't like was the stupid A/C that acted really funny.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #845 on: April 10, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
I’m not calm at all. Last time I was calm was Returning Registration, and I ended up getting almost completely shut out (was one of the last people to snag Sunday). So for Open Reg, I went full panic mode, made connections with several groups, sacrificed my future first born (who needs those anyway?), and had sleepless nights worrying, and it paid off with 4 day + preview

So the lesson, in the immortal words of Not Douglas Adams: PANIC!

Offline Johnc86

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #846 on: April 10, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
Please pass over whatever it is you're drinking. I want to be "oddly calm." Plus for me, it's also about making sure my lady friend is happy too. So I gotta get a place she's good with as well. When it was just me, I would have settled for like Best Western Bayside. Now? We're like the Jeffersons, movin' on up! (I wonder how many people here are old enough to get my reference?)

What's wrong with Best Western Bayside? I'm thinking about including it in one of my slots just cause of the price. But like you, I also need to think about my lady friend. It is far from the con which is a negative for me.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #847 on: April 10, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »
Ok why is the term "lady friend" becoming a thing here.  :o  Is "friend" or "girlfriend" depending on the relationship not good enough? lol forgive me it just feels weird reading "lady friend."  Not sure why it's suddenly A Thing.

Offline dollar2k3

• Room 6BCF
  • Cleveland is the city!
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #848 on: April 10, 2019, 02:04:03 PM »
I'm calm on the surface like a duck, but best believe my legs are kicking like mad under the surface!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #849 on: April 10, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
At least this year I did my international travel in the winter so I am in the country and same time zone for anything. 

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #850 on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:21 PM »
What's wrong with Best Western Bayside? I'm thinking about including it in one of my slots just cause of the price. But like you, I also need to think about my lady friend. It is far from the con which is a negative for me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Best Western Bayside. I actually have it in my six. I just meant my lady friend likes to be a bit closer, and also likes higher-end hotels.

Ok why is the term "lady friend" becoming a thing here.  :o  Is "friend" or "girlfriend" depending on the relationship not good enough? lol forgive me it just feels weird reading "lady friend."  Not sure why it's suddenly A Thing.

I've ALWAYS called her my lady friend. Just a force of habit. I actually had a guy at a watch store comment that he loved that I called her that LOL. And that it needed to be used more often. I think she likes that term more as well, so I've been going with it for years now.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #851 on: April 10, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
I’m not calm at all. Last time I was calm was Returning Registration, and I ended up getting almost completely shut out (was one of the last people to snag Sunday). So for Open Reg, I went full panic mode, made connections with several groups, sacrificed my future first born (who needs those anyway?), and had sleepless nights worrying, and it paid off with 4 day + preview

So the lesson, in the immortal words of Not Douglas Adams: PANIC!

Totally understandable to panic over registration (returning and/or open)!!!

I'm not saying there's no anxiety for me over the hotel sale.  It's just that my level of anxiety is not nearly as high as it is for the badge sale.   :) :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #852 on: April 10, 2019, 02:36:34 PM »
Oh my gosh darn goodness I am gall dern nervous! Last year was my first year participating in Hotelpocalypse and I snagged the Marriott Marquis. That happens every year, right? RIGHT!?

Anyway, come on one of...

-Omni
-Hard Rock
-Moxy
-Hotel Solamar
-Marriott Marquis
-Hilton Bayfront

What's everyone else's top-6? Or are you keeping it a secret?....

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #853 on: April 10, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »

I have no problems telling anyone my Top 6. Why? Because there's going to be tens of thousands of people trying for every hotel. It's not going to matter if I tell people my choices.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #854 on: April 10, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »
True. And if you're really trying to use that to game the system, SDCC Blog did a poll a couple years back that's probably more helpful than random responses in here (because bigger sample size).

Mine are MMM, MGH, HBF, HGaslamp, MGaslamp, and Omni, but the order fluctuates often.