Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211021 times)

Offline cbaggs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 92
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1305 on: April 12, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
So here's a thought (and I know a lot of people have a much better understanding of Queue-It than I do so feel free to shut this down):

I know in a past post someone mentioned that the refresh rate might have something to do with our places in line.  Sure, they say that everyone's place in line is randomized at 9:00am, but that could be based on the refresh rate of when your browser actually refreshes into the 9:00am hour.  If you think about it, it's still completely randomized.  Someone getting into the waiting room at 8:02 could have a refresh rate that shows 9:00:26 on its next refresh after whichever 8:59 refresh they had, while someone who got into the waiting room at 8:46 could just as easily have a refresh rate that shows 9:00:03 on its next refresh after the last 8:59 refresh.  So essentially it would still be randomized since a later entrance into the waiting room could easily end up putting you ahead of someone who got in earlier based on whatever refresh times you had.  Does that make sense?

Then again, if the refreshes were truly happening every :30 seconds, then I guess people could game the system by jumping into the waiting room at 8:59:30 so they have a perfect 9:00:00 refresh.  Anyway, just a thought. 

Full disclosure, this is basically just wishful thinking on my part because I got in what seemed like immediately on my phone (but I have no way of looking up the exact time)....and this is what my refresh time was:  :)

Offline handelacruz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #1306 on: April 12, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
So just to make sure, May 6th is the day they’re going to put up the link with the remaining/canceled hotel rooms?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1307 on: Today at 06:18:02 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #1307 on: April 12, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So here's a thought (and I know a lot of people have a much better understanding of Queue-It than I do so feel free to shut this down):

I know in a past post someone mentioned that the refresh rate might have something to do with our places in line.  Sure, they say that everyone's place in line is randomized at 9:00am, but that could be based on the refresh rate of when your browser actually refreshes into the 9:00am hour.  If you think about it, it's still completely randomized.  Someone getting into the waiting room at 8:02 could have a refresh rate that shows 9:00:26 on its next refresh after whichever 8:59 refresh they had, while someone who got into the waiting room at 8:46 could just as easily have a refresh rate that shows 9:00:03 on its next refresh after the last 8:59 refresh.  So essentially it would still be randomized since a later entrance into the waiting room could easily end up putting you ahead of someone who got in earlier based on whatever refresh times you had.  Does that make sense?

Then again, if the refreshes were truly happening every :30 seconds, then I guess people could game the system by jumping into the waiting room at 8:59:30 so they have a perfect 9:00:00 refresh.  Anyway, just a thought. 

Full disclosure, this is basically just wishful thinking on my part because I got in what seemed like immediately on my phone (but I have no way of looking up the exact time)....and this is what my refresh time was:  :)

It's possible, and I don't think any of us know enough to shut down any reasonable idea :) Plus it is really helpful imho to hear as many ideas as possible.

My suspicion is that the time your session gets form access (or more generally your priority) is determined in their servers and that every time you refresh there's a check to see if you have access or not, if so you are directed to the form. This would help account for a lot of the results we typically see, for example my session may get a timestamp 15 seconds before yours but you get a better result since you actually had higher priority and my browser just happened to refresh at the right time.

So just to make sure, May 6th is the day they’re going to put up the link with the remaining/canceled hotel rooms?

They've left some wiggle room. From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"We urge everyone who still needs a hotel reservation to this check page sometime after May 6, 2019 for updated room availability. All rooms will be available on a first come, first serve basis at that time. "
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:20:08 PM by mark »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1308 on: April 12, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
San Diego couldn't afford to lose SDCC, so the city will pressure and coerce the Hotels to participate. Just last year, SDCC was responsible for generating $1.2 billion. That lost revenue would cripple SD's economy.

Are you sure about that?  The numbers I've seen are a digit lower, it generates about $130-$160 million in economic impact.  Even if it was $1.2 billion it's lost wouldn't cripple San Diego's economy.  The tourism industry alone is about $10 billion a year.  Tourism is not San Diego's biggest industry.  San Diego is a major biotech and tech center.  While it's not nearly as big as it once was, I remember as a kid that the bay would be filled with carrier battle groups as the top guns would buzz the school from Miramar, the military is still a force in San Diego.  Let's not forget the border, San Diego and Tijuana are really one big metropolitan area.  That border generates lots of revenue.  Tourism comes behind all those things in terms of impact on the local economy.

My feel is that San Diego wants to keep comic-con because it's comic-con.  Yes, it's economic impact would be missed but I think it's more about bragging rights.

For a conference it's size, comic-con has a modest budget.  20 years ago I used to be in the budget meeting for fairly large conference.  It was even held in San Diego as part of the city rotation.  At it's height it outgrew every city except for Las Vegas.  The budget to put on that conference was over $300 million.  That's about $450 million in today's dollars.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1309 on: April 12, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
I think they could at least make it tied to a memberID like badges are.  Even non-badge holders could get a memberID, and have that be a unique identifier.

I could live with those who took the effort to at least get a member id taking part in the sale.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1310 on: April 12, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
I definitely don't want to get into a debate about economics with someone whom I know feels quite differently than I do on the economy/current state of things.  My comment was largely humorous, hence the "lol" at the end.  But even with the "lol" and the intent at humor, most people I know that have more than 3 or 4 devices have a significant amount of money and that's my experience.  If ten devices feels normal to you, we are clearly in vastly different income brackets.

Ten submissions makes a lot more sense yeah.  You can run multiple browsers.

You don't need to have 10 devices to have 10 devices.  You can run 10 VMs on one computer.  Each VM can have it's own IP through a VPN.  To the world you have a cluster 10 machines when in the reality it's just one computer.  This is much easier to manage than having 10 physical computers.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1311 on: April 12, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
Here’s a question: why is there a hotel sale? I know why CCI wants it. Generally make the rooms more affordable. But what do the hotels get out of it by having cheaper rates? Could a major hotel opt out? (The question of why Bristol is not on the list came up. Did they opt out? Did CCI use their hotel for other purposes?)

Are the rates all the different from what they would normally charge?  What do exhibitors get for being at comic-con?  Why do companies pass out all that stuff for free that they have to pay for?  Comic-con is a big deal.  Being associated with comic-con can only help their marketing.  In today's competitive environment, every bit helps.  Even if someone doesn't come to San Diego except during comic-con, maybe a friend or a coworker would and someone that stayed at a hotel during comic-con would recommend it as a nice place to stay.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1312 on: April 12, 2019, 03:34:41 PM »
When you volunteer you don't get a physical badge?

You do get a physical badge.  But it's free as opposed to paying for it.  Also it's only active on the days you do a shift or as a comp day for a pre-con shift.

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #1313 on: April 12, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
Think you might be fine.  Diff names and emails is 2 of 3...did you switch up the phone number as well?

Yes, the auto fill assigned to each name has their correct information i.e. email address and phone number and I added the additional names to each submission and I made sure those were different I just completely forgot to change the mailing address  :(

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #1314 on: April 12, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
No one knows for sure, but it's definitely a possibility. If OnPeak marks you as a duplicate (and we've never know their *exact* criteria), they might 1) notify you and let you change/cancel one; 2) simply use your later entry as the "official" entry; or 3) just throw both requests out without telling you.

They've done all three in the past, with no discernible rhyme or reason as to which one applied to which duplicates. I'll cross my fingers that they just don't flag you at all!

Ugh...now i feel like I'm going to be sick. My first time wasn't great, it was around 9:02 but my later entry was much worse around 9:07. I'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is. In the meantime I'll be waiting around crossing my fingers, eyes, legs and toes  ;D

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #1315 on: April 13, 2019, 01:54:22 AM »
That also brings up the question: how many of you experienced a delay between when it said you’re in and when you actually got redirected? I was almost panicking because it felt like it was around 15-20sec before it made the switch.
I did

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #1316 on: April 13, 2019, 01:57:49 AM »
I wish OnPeak would make the links individually exclusive to badge holders. Yes I know there are program participants etc. who do not yet have hotels, but it is a way to make it a bit more fair. Plus I realize it is nice to be able to try for a hotel just to come downtown and visit the offsites, but...badge holders first. IMHO.

I disagree. Because I'm one of those persons whose buying my badge at the end of this month, in May. I was waiting on my mother to confirm that she was gonna use my guest badge, but since she's just told me today (after the hotel sale), then it's just me going solo again. 

It would be better for them, if they did it to where people who booked, but aren't badge holders, after the badge registration deadline, maybe then cancel booked rooms for only badge holders.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #1317 on: April 13, 2019, 05:56:07 PM »
I just realized that I'm going to be on a plane and vacation when the first wave goes out.

Hopefully I get good news while on vacation.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #1318 on: April 13, 2019, 08:21:28 PM »
I disagree. Because I'm one of those persons whose buying my badge at the end of this month, in May. I was waiting on my mother to confirm that she was gonna use my guest badge, but since she's just told me today (after the hotel sale), then it's just me going solo again. 

It would be better for them, if they did it to where people who booked, but aren't badge holders, after the badge registration deadline, maybe then cancel booked rooms for only badge holders.

Not to get too off topic, but how do you buy a badge in May when they’re already sold out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #1319 on: April 13, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
Not to get too off topic, but how do you buy a badge in May when they’re already sold out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're a professional. Professionals have until May to confirm their badges.
Ad Astra Per Aspera