Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210971 times)

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1770 on: April 17, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »
I see quite a few MGH rooms to be traded away. Is there a reason it’s traded away with such frequency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1771 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I see quite a few MGH rooms to be traded away. Is there a reason it’s traded away with such frequency?

It's an extremely large hotel (largest, if I recall correctly) but it's slightly further away than others so it's less desirable.  That said, it's still downtown so people want it, but not as much as MMM, HBF, Hard Rock, Omni.  Basically, a lot of picky people get it, but the ultra picky (like me) want to be just one block closer lol.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1772 on: Today at 03:52:10 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1772 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »

It is a large hotel, so there are a lot of rooms. However, it is further away from the convention center than the adjacent MMM or Hilton Bayfront, and it is not in the Gaslamp. As such, it tends to be lower down on people's list of preferred hotels.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #1773 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:46 AM »

It seems like it is this year's go-to downtown hotel for OnPeak to give away when people's top choices were taken.

Last year it was MMM - I ended up with like 6 rooms there last year, and it wasn't even in my top 6!

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #1774 on: April 17, 2019, 11:50:43 AM »
It's an extremely large hotel (largest, if I recall correctly) but it's slightly further away than others so it's less desirable.  That said, it's still downtown so people want it, but not as much as MMM, HBF, Hard Rock, Omni.  Basically, a lot of picky people get it, but the ultra picky (like me) want to be just one block closer lol.

I see. Was considering trying to get my hands on a room there, but I have The Solamar. Plus dogs, sooooo....clearly Solamar is the winner. I better see some pooches dressed for con. 

"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #1775 on: April 17, 2019, 11:59:29 AM »
MGH is actually pretty great. I have stayed at MMM the most and typically prefer it but MGH is only like a few minutes further so it's not that bad! It's a really huuuuuge hotel so not surprising that theres a lot of them avail to give away.

Offline Volsspongebob

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #1776 on: April 17, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
MGH is actually pretty great. I have stayed at MMM the most and typically prefer it but MGH is only like a few minutes further so it's not that bad! It's a really huuuuuge hotel so not surprising that theres a lot of them avail to give away.

I love MGH. Stayed there the last three years. Just ask for the tower closest to the convention center and use the bayside walkway to get to convention center. Good celeb sightings here as well. Its a great hotel and will always be in my top 6.

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #1777 on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »
I love MGH. Stayed there the last three years. Just ask for the tower closest to the convention center and use the bayside walkway to get to convention center. Good celeb sightings here as well. Its a great hotel and will always be in my top 6.

I now only use the bayside walkway to get to and from because it is so much faster!

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #1778 on: April 17, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »

As [member=4434]Angel_[/member] and [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] have said, some just want to be closer to the action. Regardless, in my opinion, the Hyatt rocks (especially if you can get into the Grand Club) and I find the walking distance difference to be nothing. Heck, the Sunday night dinner meetup is right behind the hotel and Fundays (unless noted) is located in that hotel. Now walking from the Hyatt to the Hall H line and back is long so that I do understand 100%. But if anyone has this hotel, I wouldn’t complain nor try to trade it away if I had this hotel because many would love to stay at the Hyatt. For example, the /Film crew don’t have a DT hotel and are looking for help. Just saying. ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:15:02 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #1779 on: April 17, 2019, 12:13:01 PM »
I agree about MGH not being as desirable. It's deceptive in that it's "only" two blocks away, but it's two long blocks, and even further if you're trying to get to Hall H. Personally, I'd rather get Westin Gaslamp (where I was last year), which is technically further, but much closer to all the Gaslamp food and activities.

But given I don't have a hotel yet, if I get MGH, I'd be more than ecstatic.

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #1780 on: April 17, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »

I stayed at the MGH last year and I loved it! it's not that far from the convention center. The program premium rooms are in this hotel. This year I had it as my third choice because I wanted a different experience staying at the MMM or OMNI but looks like I'll be staying at MGH again and I do not mind at all! i love it! I believe the SYFY Harry Potter party was just across the street form MGH it was pretty convenient and fun!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #1781 on: April 17, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »
As [member=4434]Angel_[/member] and [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] have said, some just want to be closer to the action. Regardless, in my opinion, the Hyatt rocks (especially if you can get into the Grand Club) and I find the walking distance to be nothing. Heck, the Sunday night dinner meetup is right behind the hotel and Fundays (unless noted) is located in that hotel. Now walking from the Hyatt to the Hall H line and back is long so that I do understand 100%. But if anyone has this hotel, I wouldn’t complain nor try to trade if I had this hotel because many would love to stay at the Hyatt. For example, the /Film crew don’t have a DT hotel and are looking for help. Just saying. ;)

MGH is also where the Swag room is.  I enjoyed it immensely last year.  The view was great,the rooms were nice, there's a FedEx center right in the hotel to mail back all your purchases.  They also have a great breakfast buffet.I wanted to stay closer this year but MGH was one of my choices. 

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #1782 on: April 17, 2019, 12:19:20 PM »
MGH is also where the Swag room is.  I enjoyed it immensely last year.  The view was great,the rooms were nice, there's a FedEx center right in the hotel to mail back all your purchases.  They also have a great breakfast buffet.I wanted to stay closer this year but MGH was one of my choices.

I used that fedex before and they were throwing peoples boxes of collectables around. half my stuff got to me smashed up. Just beware. Id rather use the shipping center inside the convention center.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1783 on: April 17, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »
I agree about MGH not being as desirable. It's deceptive in that it's "only" two blocks away, but it's two long blocks, and even further if you're trying to get to Hall H. Personally, I'd rather get Westin Gaslamp (where I was last year), which is technically further, but much closer to all the Gaslamp food and activities.

But given I don't have a hotel yet, if I get MGH, I'd be more than ecstatic.

As you state, its two long blocks, growing-up in a big city, I'd say it's more than two long blocks, its probably closer to four. It also reminds me of the even further away Embassy Suites.  There's no shuttle service and they claim "walking distance." To me the MGH is probably the farthest out of where I'd consider walking. Embassy Suites again, though they state walking distance, is not something anyone would want to do for the duration of the con.

I used that fedex before and they were throwing peoples boxes of collectables around. half my stuff got to me smashed up. Just beware. Id rather use the shipping center inside the convention center.

I can attest to what [member=1233]jopari[/member] said. I saw people after FunDays try and ship out some pops and they were thrown around. (The shippers weren't happy stating they were quite valuable and so forth) Not that FedEx there cared at all.

TravT77

« Reply #1784 on: April 17, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »
As you state, its two long blocks, growing-up in a big city, I'd say it's more than two long blocks, its probably closer to four.

We were at the Westin in Broadway Circle last time. How would you compare the walk from the MGH to that. We had little problem walking that distance.