Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211587 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #2340 on: April 25, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Absolutely.  Last year the day reservations were transferred to HBF, I jumped on the Hilton Honors app immediately and picked a corner room on a high floor just because of this.  Same price, better room.  The corner rooms at MGH are much bigger as well.  Considered and "upgrade".

Do you have Hilton status? Because I could never even get a king bed (always requested it in the sale, always got assigned 2 queens) or a view of anything but the Dole trucking facility every year I was at HBF. I tried through the app and at check-in and I was always told it was a $20-50/night upcharge so I never did it.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #2341 on: April 25, 2019, 02:51:49 PM »
Would to hotels care if wether or not how many people stay in the room? I know prices would usually go up a bit when the number of occupants increases, but the sdcc hotel prices are set regardless.

We have some late additions and went from 5 (2 kids) occupants to 7 (3 kids). Anyone ever roomshare with way too many people? How much is too much for a standard room because I'm thinking anything over 5 is alot.

You could call and ask if rates go up.  Don't tell them who you are, LOL.  I did that one year and was surprised to find the number of hotels that didn't care how many per room.  It was the same price.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2342 on: Today at 03:43:13 AM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #2342 on: April 25, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
Do you have Hilton status? Because I could never even get a king bed (always requested it in the sale, always got assigned 2 queens) or a view of anything but the Dole trucking facility every year I was at HBF. I tried through the app and at check-in and I was always told it was a $20-50/night upcharge so I never did it.

I love how you played with words "could never even get...a view of anything but the Dole trucking facility."  Sorry.  It was funny.  I'm glad you at least got HBF.  I would kill for that one.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2343 on: April 25, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
The rooms overlooking the Dole plant are cheaper than the rooms overlooking Hall H lawn/downtown at HBF. This is true all year round. It is ALWAYS an upgrade to be given the Hall H lawn view. It is the only time I ever voluntarily paid for an upgrade just for a view, but it is worth it.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #2344 on: April 25, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] I ALMOST paid the upcharge one year when the drive down from LA had been particularly long and hellish. The counter guy tried to sell me on it and I hesitated for just a second bc I think the Dole parking lot view is so depressing, but luckily my husband pulled me aside and whispered "what are you doing? you HATE upcharges and we're never in the room anyway!" And then my sanity returned and I remembered that I was already paying Hilton more per night than I believe the Bayfront is worth, so I turned it down.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2345 on: April 25, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »

I was level silver in the hilton honors reward program. IDK if that had anything to do with it.  It was a 2 queen corner room facing gaslamp.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2346 on: April 25, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »
[member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] I ALMOST paid the upcharge one year when the drive down from LA had been particularly long and hellish. The counter guy tried to sell me on it and I hesitated for just a second bc I think the Dole parking lot view is so depressing, but luckily my husband pulled me aside and whispered "what are you doing? you HATE upcharges and we're never in the room anyway!" And then my sanity returned and I remembered that I was already paying Hilton more per night than I believe the Bayfront is worth, so I turned it down.

The year Star Wars (TFA) was in Hall H, I woke up super early one morning and looked out the window, down at the lawn, and saw that the line for Friday Hall H had started. Yikes! So I scrambled down there, while my roommates took a bit longer to get ready and then met me, and then we switched so I could get on some proper clothes, etc. Everyone in my line group got A wristbands. It was TOTALLY worth the extra money to see the Hall H line view. ;)

Incidentally, that was the last year I stayed at HBF. We have been at MMM ever since.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #2347 on: April 25, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
The year Star Wars (TFA) was in Hall H, I woke up super early one morning and looked out the window, down at the lawn, and saw that the line for Friday Hall H had started. Yikes! So I scrambled down there, while my roommates took a bit longer to get ready and then met me, and then we switched so I could get on some proper clothes, etc. Everyone in my line group got A wristbands. It was TOTALLY worth the extra money to see the Hall H line view. ;)

Incidentally, that was the last year I stayed at HBF. We have been at MMM ever since.

I think I cut the line that year, but not on purpose.  I had never been in the Hall H line before but I wanted to go to TFA.  The volunteer lady at Hall H pointed to the tent and told me hurry up and go there.  Well, there were people trickling in, not like a big line there, so I went and got in the back of that line.  Eventually, it filled up behind me.  I thought I was lucky to get there so "early."  Looking back, I think the super long Hall H line was probably being held back across the street for pedestrians or something.  No one told me I cut the line.  I simply didn't know.  I ended up about 50 people away from getting in.  Stayed there all day until just before TFA because they weren't letting anyone in despite some trickling out.  I didn't think I'd get in, but they finally let maybe 100 in and I made it.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #2348 on: April 25, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
Absolutely.  Last year the day reservations were transferred to HBF, I jumped on the Hilton Honors app immediately and picked a corner room on a high floor just because of this.  Same price, better room.  The corner rooms at MGH are much bigger as well.  Considered and "upgrade".
interesting the app tried to charge me.   They must like you better!   

My friend asked at the Front desk and that is when they tried to overcharge her.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #2349 on: April 25, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
interesting the app tried to charge me.   They must like you better!   

My friend asked at the Front desk and that is when they tried to overcharge her.

Impossible, no one likes me.  I'm a giant butthead. lol

Edit: my wife will concur lol
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #2350 on: April 25, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »
I am waitlisted and did not get a hotel. My brother has one bed at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown that we would like to exchange for a Springhill Suites or Embassy Suites. There are 5 in our party and this room will not be enough. Any help is appreciated. We'll even take Springhill Suites in Mission Valley.

Offline SDCCgal2015

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #2351 on: April 25, 2019, 04:54:44 PM »
Has anyone made the deposit on a card that isn’t attached to the main name on the reservation ? Or will they cancel it ?

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2352 on: April 25, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
Has anyone made the deposit on a card that isn’t attached to the main name on the reservation ? Or will they cancel it ?

No deposit had been made. We're still waiting for an exchange.

Offline SDCCgal2015

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #2353 on: April 25, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
No deposit had been made. We're still waiting for an exchange.

I was asking a general question not one pertaining to your particular situation lol

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2354 on: April 25, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »

I was asking a general question not one pertaining to your particular situation lol
LOL! My bad. This hotel situation and seeing Endgame in a few hours has me shooketh!!!