Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211162 times)

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #510 on: April 02, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So, if you get a block of rooms (more than one room on a single entry into the hotel form), you can then split the individual rooms to different people. That way, they can have their own login and only affect their room. That way, you're able to have people put different cards on different rooms even if they're technically on the same booking.

Did that make sense? I did it last year and it was super easy (never had to call support for help etc.)

Thanks Iris for the information, I knew someone on the forum would know what to do. Will most likely have a few more questions when we get confirmation of the hotel sale.

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #511 on: April 03, 2019, 06:56:13 AM »
For the last three years, we have had 3 computers (3 separate comic con IDs) going to try to get a hotel.   Even when we've been fortunate enough to get at least one in fairly quickly we haven't gotten a hotel after first round.   Does anyone have any "secrets" on how they always get a hotel?    Last year, we ended up with the Hyatt, but that was after weeks and weeks of checking to see if any rooms opened up and the stress of that was a nightmare.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #512 on: Today at 11:20:16 AM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #512 on: April 03, 2019, 07:28:14 AM »
For the last three years, we have had 3 computers (3 separate comic con IDs) going to try to get a hotel.   Even when we've been fortunate enough to get at least one in fairly quickly we haven't gotten a hotel after first round.   Does anyone have any "secrets" on how they always get a hotel?    Last year, we ended up with the Hyatt, but that was after weeks and weeks of checking to see if any rooms opened up and the stress of that was a nightmare.

With the 3 computers you can also have separate browsers going like Chrome and Firefox to have even more chances for that first hit.  Hotel sale isn't like badge sale that is tied to Member ID so the more the merrier.

I am REALLY hoping we get an email this Friday about the sale being the 10th.

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #513 on: April 03, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
With the 3 computers you can also have separate browsers going like Chrome and Firefox to have even more chances for that first hit.  Hotel sale isn't like badge sale that is tied to Member ID so the more the merrier.

I am REALLY hoping we get an email this Friday about the sale being the 10th.

When you have it on multiple separate browsers, do you have it in private mode? I'm really hoping for the sale to be on the 17th since I'm off that day. Yet, knowing my luck it's going to be on the 10th when I have a 12 hour work day.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #514 on: April 03, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
Thanks Iris for the information, I knew someone on the forum would know what to do. Will most likely have a few more questions when we get confirmation of the hotel sale.

Also to add it has to be within a short window of when you accept the rooms.  You have to put your card on to set everything up, then they need to log on ASAP to change the payment info or you get charged.  Once you are charged OnPEak will not change the payment to another card.  I have seen them process it within 20 ins and other times an hour.  I think they have the system scheduled to run at certain times.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #515 on: April 03, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
I wonder if Star Wars Celebration occurring next weekend will push back the date of the SDCC Hotel Sale, since OnPeak is handling the hotel booking for that event... if it doesn't I imagine the hold times for calling in may be a bit longer than other years.

If I worked at OnPeak I'd avoid that scenario if possible... but they seem to embrace the chaos so who knows.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #516 on: April 03, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »
I wonder if Star Wars Celebration occurring next weekend will push back the date of the SDCC Hotel Sale, since OnPeak is handling the hotel booking for that event... if it doesn't I imagine the hold times for calling in may be a bit longer than other years.

If I worked at OnPeak I'd avoid that scenario if possible... but they seem to embrace the chaos so who knows.

They usually transfer the hotels two weeks or more before the event.  So Onpeak should be wrapped up by now with the SWCC.  I don't think it will impact the sale.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #517 on: April 03, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
When you have it on multiple separate browsers, do you have it in private mode? I'm really hoping for the sale to be on the 17th since I'm off that day. Yet, knowing my luck it's going to be on the 10th when I have a 12 hour work day.

No you don't have to have in private mode.  Since the hotel link isn't associated with any type of ID or code you can use multiple times.  Key is to have open in mutiple browsers and use the first one in as your primary.  Biggest key is watching any type of duplicate entry which might be what has gotten you in the past because they don't let you know about it.  Previous posts here go into quite a bit of detail about duplicates.  I'm pretty sure in the past mine where getting kicked because my son and I would both put in reservations and had the same last name and address and kept getting nothing good.

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #518 on: April 03, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
I'm worried the hotel lottery will be on the days I'm traveling for business.   With my luck, that will happen.  IIRC, it usually happens on a Thursday.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #519 on: April 03, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
I'm worried the hotel lottery will be on the days I'm traveling for business.   With my luck, that will happen.  IIRC, it usually happens on a Thursday.

Here's a history posted by [member=5605]Roo_bear[/member] (Day of week added for the year I started doing the hotel sale)

WonderCon dates            Hotelpocalypse
2012 March 16-18           March 29
2013 March 29-31           February 26
2014 April 18-20             April 8
2015 April 3-5                 March 24
2016 March 25-27           April 5 .   Tuesday
2017 March 31-April 2     April 26 . Wednesday
2018 March 23-25           April 4     Wednesday     
2019 March 29-31            ???
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #520 on: April 03, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »
As long as Hotelpocalypse is not on April 10th, 17th and 18th I should be good.

The email notification for Hotelpocalypse is usually given the week before, right?

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #521 on: April 03, 2019, 04:33:48 PM »
I guess OnPeak is lucky after colossal issues with #AvengersEndgameTickets, the hotel lottery should look like a success in comparison ;)

Offline ShannonCooper87

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #522 on: April 03, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »
Also to add it has to be within a short window of when you accept the rooms.  You have to put your card on to set everything up, then they need to log on ASAP to change the payment info or you get charged.  Once you are charged OnPEak will not change the payment to another card.  I have seen them process it within 20 ins and other times an hour.  I think they have the system scheduled to run at certain times.

Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #523 on: April 03, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
I guess OnPeak is lucky after colossal issues with #AvengersEndgameTickets, the hotel lottery should look like a success in comparison ;)

"I mean, we're bad. But we're not THAT bad." -OnPeak probably

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #524 on: April 03, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »

I didn't realize there were a ton of issues. I waited in a waiting room on the app for about 7 minutes at 9:10am (pacific) and got through the purchase painlessly. I guess I was incredibly lucky.

Fingers crossed that hotelpocalypse goes smoothly.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.