Author Topic: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021  (Read 44603 times)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Re: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »
NYCC is requiring proof of full vaccination, and it’s being checked at the door, not as part of fan verification.  So I don’t think “it will slow things down” will affect thinking.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That would slow down an already slow process.  Think what it would mean if everyone going into Hall H has to be stopped for a few seconds so that someone can check their vaccination card.  That line to get into the exhibit hall each morning would be really long if everyone stepping through the door had to have their vaccination status checked.

It would be much more efficient to note it once in an attendee's profile.  Then the process would be the same as it's always been for vaccinated people.  You tap you badge, it flashes green and you keep on walking.  For the people who have test results to show, it would flash red for a secondary.  Or better yet, have the people with test results stop off at registration first to have their profiles updated.
1) _MAYBE_ it would slow down.  I typically attend an annual music trade show in Anaheim, NAMM, that is not really open to the general public and is a pretty big place for outsiders who are music fans/musicians that want to get in.  It's typical to run into pretty huge rock/music stars (I once saw an unannounced pseudo-private Stevie Wonder mini-concert, as just one example), tons of amazing music concerts, and get  sneak-peak/demo of  ALL of the music companies "coming soon" products.  It was incredibly easy BITD to borrow a badge from someone for a day, and for years I would attend with someone else's badge: it was an open secret, and vendors would often joke about fake names/job titles/companies/etc. on people's badges.  But NAMM went with an ID-check at the door, and I legit thought it would be a mega-slog to get through every day.  It turned out, they educated everyone on how the process would go, promptly told attendees both before the show and with signage EVERYWHERE, and it wasn't really that big of a deal.  MLB teams in some cities did something similar at the start of this season, requiring vaccinations for large swaths of seat purchases/entry.  Again, I went to a few Padres games with that process in place in May & early June, arriving super early thinking it would be a long line/process to get in.  It was incredibly easy, as MLB educated attendees with exactly what to expect, how to approach at the entry gates, etc. and it was an incredibly easy process: literally easier than going into the park for unvaccinated folks/not checking (I did both entries w/in a few weeks of each other as an A/B).  I think provided CCI educate its attendees, it wouldn't be a huge deal.  NAMM doesn't get quite the crowd sizes as San Diego Comic-Con, but I'd say its comparable to WonderCon, and likely higher than what SDCC SE will be.

2) you're right, that attendees who upload proof and have a different badge marking, while non-vaccinated only have furnish proof of negative testing, WOULD expedite the process and feels like an easier way to go.  I'm 100% fine with that type of a process as well, especially if it means EZ entry for me & my family.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 02:21:27 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »
NYCC is requiring proof of full vaccination, and it’s being checked at the door, not as part of fan verification.  So I don’t think “it will slow things down” will affect thinking.
Right, especially since CCI seems to be expecting relatively small crowds at the event: it could be a good 'testing' and training grounds before WonderCon and SDCCI

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »
I say skip the negative test.  Either you are vaccinated and you can go or you are not and can't.  (yes it excludes kids, but you all tell me you will do anything for your kids because they matter the most.  So why are you bringing them to a crowd in a pandemic)

If you require everyone vaccinated you can wristband the first day, you keep it on all weekend.  If you lose it you go to another line.

Since I know people are still going to bring kids, it can be a separate entrance.  Where you have to show your kids negative test in the morning and get a kid wristband.  People who did not attend the first day also go to this line for their wristbands.

It makes the first day a bit slow but speeds up the rest of the weekend.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2021, 10:43:48 AM »
Trek Vegas did something along those lines — everyone fully vaccinated got a wristband at initial check in, then they were good to go the rest of the con.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2021, 10:55:41 AM »

It'll be interesting to see how that goes.  I don't see showing ID along with proof of vaccination at the door being a fast process.  Of course it depends on how cursory or thorough the process is.  If it's cursory then I don't see the point.  Just have everyone be on the honor system.  Since if it's cursory then people can just printout something that looks like a vaccination card that they can hold up to be waived through.  Based on how many people line cut, I bet there will be plenty of people trying to do that if they can.

I've never been to NYCC, but from what I understand it's pretty much contained in Javits.  Like with a ballpark, once you are in you are in.  SDCC is not like that.  People come and go from the convention center all the time.  It's spread out.  If Tukeycon is indeed much smaller and doesn't involve Hall H, the surrounding hotels or the gaslamp.  Then it might be as self contained.  Once someone goes in, they stay in all day.  Or course I guess they can also expand the perimeter to encompass a much bigger area.  Like they did a couple of years ago when they made the walkway in front of the convention center a badge required area.

If you require everyone vaccinated you can wristband the first day, you keep it on all weekend.

That's a good idea too.  It would also have to be issued to people that present a negative test.  Which is still not something I see meaning much.  Do they have to present a negative test everyday because of the 72 hour requirement.   Or is it just once at the start.  If it's just once, then it's even more meaningless than it already is.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:23:13 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2021, 11:53:19 AM »
My guess is that they may only use a portion of the convention center like they used to do with there being less exhibitors.  I can't remember when, but they onky used to use half of it I think.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
I say skip the negative test.  Either you are vaccinated and you can go or you are not and can't. 
Well, besides kids, it also excludes folks who have legit medical reasons for not being able to get the vaccine.  I'm not saying just immunocompromised folks, but I know someone who is allergic to so many different things, her doctor told her "well...you can try the vaccine, but for the first dose you need to check yourself into the hospital, we need to hook you up to a few IV's, and be ready for cardiac arrest."  She was advised to skip the vaccine, needless to say.  She's obviously a cautious person in general, but she's not a hermit who doesn't go out and do stuff either.  I think CCI (rightfully) doesn't want to exclude anyone, and while the negative test isn't perfect, it's a viable alternative for folks who can't get the vaccine yet. 

See Lollapalooza from this past summer as a large, intense crowd (well larger than SDCC SE will be) that was able to safely happen with a statistically small COVID-positive rate from attendees.  They had 203 people test positive for COVID-19, out of an estimated 385,000 people (more than double CCI's published SDCCI attendee number) attended the festival.  They had (from what I've read) a similar tracing protocol with attendees as CCI is looking to do, and a similar vaccine/negative test attendee policy.  IIRC they did have a large amount of attendees who WERE already vaccinated before attending, so that likely helped minimize the post-event COVID numbers.

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »
Well, besides kids, it also excludes folks who have legit medical reasons for not being able to get the vaccine.  I'm not saying just immunocompromised folks, but I know someone who is allergic to so many different things, her doctor told her "well...you can try the vaccine, but for the first dose you need to check yourself into the hospital, we need to hook you up to a few IV's, and be ready for cardiac arrest."  She was advised to skip the vaccine, needless to say.  She's obviously a cautious person in general, but she's not a hermit who doesn't go out and do stuff either.  I think CCI (rightfully) doesn't want to exclude anyone, and while the negative test isn't perfect, it's a viable alternative for folks who can't get the vaccine yet. 

See Lollapalooza from this past summer as a large, intense crowd (well larger than SDCC SE will be) that was able to safely happen with a statistically small COVID-positive rate from attendees.  They had 203 people test positive for COVID-19, out of an estimated 385,000 people (more than double CCI's published SDCCI attendee number) attended the festival.  They had (from what I've read) a similar tracing protocol with attendees as CCI is looking to do, and a similar vaccine/negative test attendee policy.  IIRC they did have a large amount of attendees who WERE already vaccinated before attending, so that likely helped minimize the post-event COVID numbers.

I am sure if they can ask for vaccination records they can ask for documentation for a medical exception.    I am seeing a lot that are doing vaccination, no exceptions and I am okay with it.  I understand that excludes a small majority of people, I don't see it long-term.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »
You guys did see we have a date for the general sale and that everyone who buys a badge is eligible for returning Reg for 2023 ….

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2021, 12:22:44 PM »
You guys did see we have a date for the general sale and that everyone who buys a badge is eligible for returning Reg for 2023 ….

Oh that is very interesting.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »

Info is coming fast and furious

Phasers on Stun!!!

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »

Oh that is very interesting.   I bet some buy just for that chance.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
CCSE Badge Sale: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The badge sale for Comic-Con Special Edition will begin shortly after 11:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time on September 25, 2021.
Comic-Con Special Edition 2021 is open to the general public. The only eligibility requirement is that you have a valid and confirmed Member ID account.
The link to the Queue-it waiting room will be sent to you via email at least 48 hours in advance of the sale and will be also available in your You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login under the "Registration Info" tab at that time.
You do not need a registration code for the Comic-Con Special Edition badge sale or the Queue-it waiting room.

Badge Buying Instructions:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Badge Buying FAQ: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cancellation/Refund Policy: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Terms and Conditions: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

One interesting thing of note...
Unfortunately, we are not able to ship badges for Comic-Con Special Edition.

ALL badges must be picked up when you arrive, and wait times may be longer than expected. To avoid long wait times/lines, we recommend that you pick up your badge on Tuesday, November 23, or Wednesday, November 24, if possible. 

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Ouch. No badge shipping, and also no option to buy just one day. :( $150 is steep to begin with, and if NYCC is anything to go by there's not going to be anywhere near enough stuff to interest me for all three days.

I want to get back to in-person cons so, so, so badly... but I also just bought my first house and $500+ (me, my husband, hotel for 2 nights) for what's almost certainly going to be an underwhelming experience is A LOT. :(