Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24337 times)

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I created the post at the risk of it potentially becoming that, but admittedly, the issues affecting the status of SDCC 2021 are somewhat political, whether we like it or not.

That said, this is certainly not the place to hold a Biden vs. Trump vs. whomever else debate :)
I agree. But I think: "To be super blunt, America has proven to be a selfish, entitled, incredibly misguided nation of people (or, really, at least half of the political persuasion)."  is taking it too far. Those are just personal attacks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
I mean the country politicized everything about the pandemic, so any discussion about the how the pandemic will impact future events will necessarily involve politics.  :-(

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:02:19 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
_IF_ US elects a new POTUS and _IF_ that POTUS enacts a more aggressive policy Day 1 (or, to be blunt, any policy which would be better than the lack-of Federal national policy we currently have), then _maybe_ things could be OK by next July.

It's too late.  The current administration has politicized the pandemic.  It didn't need to be that way.  It shouldn't be that way.  It is that way.  For 30-40% of the population refusing to wear masks and thinking of covid as just the sniffles is now part of their identity.  That's not going to change.  A different POTUS telling them to wear masks will just make them dig their heels in more.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (bold = mine)

Lingering COVID-19 restrictions are damaging San Diego’s tourism industry, prompting a group of Mission Bay hotels and other businesses to lobby city officials Wednesday for rent deferrals and other relief. The relief requests come on the heels of a new study showing San Diego’s normally robust convention business won’t fully revive until spring or summer 2021 -- at the earliest.

The study, conducted by consulting firm Tourism Economics, dashes previous hopes that conventions would return to San Diego this fall or early next year.

"Major markets are coming to grips with the prospects that virus-related restrictions will prevent many medium and large group meetings through the fourth quarter of 2020 and into the first quarter of 2021," said Colleen Anderson, executive director of the San Diego Tourism Marketing District.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 05:20:55 PM »
@AzT thanks for sharing.

I do wonder if holding a potential SDCC 2021 in the fall or winter is an option that CCI is considering.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 05:25:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thanks for sharing.

I do wonder if holding a potential SDCC 2021 in the fall or winter is an option that CCI is considering.

Considering that covid is expected to seasonally spike like other respiratory illnesses, if covid is the concern, it would be worse to hold it in the fall or winter.  If covid is too widespread in the summer to hold SDCC, it's not going to be better to hold it in the winter.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 05:28:16 PM »
Considering that covid is expected to seasonally spike like other respiratory illnesses, if covid is the concern, it would be worse to hold it in the fall or winter.  If covid is too widespread in the summer to hold SDCC, it's not going to be better to hold it in the winter.

On the contrary, it’s been reported that Covid-19 is not seasonal:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:31:47 PM by mattytreks »
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 06:15:55 PM »
On the contrary, it’s been reported that Covid-19 is not seasonal:

Respiratory illnesses are seasonal.  Just not for the reason people think they are.  That warning from the WHO was to dispel that incorrect belief.  People think that respiratory illnesses wane in the summer because the weather is warmer and thus the virus doesn't survive as long. That "when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away".  That is not the case.  That has never been the case.  As we discussed earlier in another thread, the virus doesn't do worse if the temperature outside is closer to the temperature of the host that it thrives in.

The reason that respiratory illnesses are seasonal is not the effect of the weather on the virus, it's the effect of the weather on people.  People tend to stay indoors more when it's colder.  Respiratory illnesses are much more infectious indoors as oppose to outdoors.  People's noses tend to run when the temperature is cooler.  Thus people tend to touch their virus smeared hands on their noses more in the winter then in the summer.  It's people's behavior in the winter that makes respiratory illnesses seasonal.

That WHO warning you posted says that.  It says that the the virus itself is not effected by the weather.

"The COVID-19 virus is likely not impacted by the changing seasons "

It says it's people's behavior that effects transmission rates.

“What is affecting the transmission is mass gatherings, it’s people coming together, and people not social distancing, not taking the precautions to ensure they are not in close contact.”

Close contact happens more in the winter.  In temperate zones where there aren't really seasons, there is no difference in occurrence between summer and winter.  Since the weather and thus people's behavior is always the same.

Here are a couple of articles that talks about seasonality of respiratory illnesses.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »
This thread is becoming way too political.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Science shouldn’t be political. IF Con is held in person next year, it’ll probably look very different.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2020, 11:36:05 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if SDCC21 is more like 60% - 70% the size it normally is.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
Except they probably had a ticket rollover rate of over 90%.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
Except they probably had a ticket rollover rate of over 90%.
I'd love to know what that number really is.  While all of us here are so involved in SDCC that the large majority probably rolled them over, I'd love to see numbers from CCI that shows those details.

Oh, wait, CCI doesn't show those numbers :(
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if SDCC21 is more like 60% - 70% the size it normally is.

Which highlights one of the issues I brought up about rolling it over.  Whether it's 100% or 60%, many of SDCCs costs are fixed.  So it costs them about the same to put it on.  At 60% the attendance they planned for when they priced the badges, the money they brought in probably wouldn't cover the costs of putting it on.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
I don’t think they can do a 60% SDCC if the goal is to keep distance between attendees. That’s not going to solve anything. More likely, we just plain aren’t getting it back until we find a way to get big crowds back.

That said, if they were allowed to go ahead next year BUT demand dropped so much by next year that they only get 60% attendance (unlikely, since as of last year demand for tickets exceeded capacity by at least 10x based on estimates...but hypothetical) I would expect them to probably go ahead with it because I think they’d lose less money than if they canceled it altogether again.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:48:30 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
Let's see how the Sturgis experiment goes.  If that works out, maybe there can be a comic-con 2021.  A different kind of comic-con but still a comic-con.  Instead of holding it indoors at the convention center, hold it outdoors at Petco.  Transmission outdoors is lower than it is indoors.  There have been other convention like events at Petco.  What they do is segment the seating into separate panel rooms.  The field itself can be an exhibit hall or a Hall H substitute.