Author Topic: Event Pricing: Cons vs Sporting Events vs Theatre  (Read 1048 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Event Pricing: Cons vs Sporting Events vs Theatre
« on: June 23, 2019, 01:39:19 PM »
I thought it’d be interesting to compare the value of Con tickets vs other events

Today, single show tickets for the Metropolitan Opera became available. For back orchestra seats, I am paying about 80-90 dollars (depending on the performance) for a 2-3 hour show.  Prime seats can cost over $400

US Open single session tickets for the third round for guaranteed seats in Ashe Stadium - starting price is $160.  The ticket is for 12pm-6pm and you can also watch matches in the other courts. A grounds pass, which lets you watch any match that’s not in the Grand Stand, Ashe, or Louis Armstrong (meaning, you won’t see any of the marquee players) costs $135.

Regular Broadway shows are about $50-$60 bucks. Again about 2 hours of entertainment.

So with these in mind, how do you think con pricing stacks up? 

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: Event Pricing: Cons vs Sporting Events vs Theatre
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
What a great topic idea. I was thinking of something similar the other day when the $150 Farscape party tickets went up, in my mind I was comparing it to seeing Hamilton again. (I love me some Farscape but think I'd go with 3 hours of Hamilton.)

If I just think about the $66 a day SDCC badge, I still think it's an awesome deal given the size of the exhibit hall and the number/variety of the panels on any given day. This is especially true for families with the reduced junior badges and the free child badge policy.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:06:26 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
I wish Broadway tickets were $60! When is the last time you went?

SDCC still remains a great value for all the opportunities and panels you get for a long full day. Can't be beat honestly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
Great topic!  I think SDCC is a fantastic value!  Sports and Broadway tickets get expensive, and we usually only go to games and shows we REALLY want to see, not just any New York show, so we tend to spend a lot on those tickets.  Also we don't buy "stuff" at those events like I do at SDCC, so SDCC ends up spending a lot more than just the ticket.  But that's discretionary spending.  Anyway, lots to consider :)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
I wish Broadway tickets were $60! When is the last time you went?

SDCC still remains a great value for all the opportunities and panels you get for a long full day. Can't be beat honestly.

This weekend actually. I did Broadway roulette, where they will spin a wheel and choose a show for you and you pay $60 for a weekend show (and it can be anything from Hamilton to Phantom). I got side orchestra seats for Oklahoma. I also often do TodayTix which has great prices. I also get deals through corporate discount sites.

One of my travel plans next year is the world figure skating championships in Montreal. All event tickets are running at a minimum of  $800 for nosebleeds. You get 2 days of practices and 4 days of competition.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Ahhhh, so those roulette and rush tickets. I never do that. I'm on vacation to see shows and I need to just get what I want to see and make plans.

Going to see the Padres here in SD is still affordable and can be done for about $20 on average. Some are a little more, some are a little less depending on who they play and what day. Those are the cheap seats, which are still great seats.

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
I just bought tickets for Skate America. The cheap seats were $175.  That’s two performances per discipline (four disciplines) and the gala skate all included.   That doesn’t feel too terrible because a lot of other for profit cons (not sdcc) are about that price for like back row seats and nothing else. Feels like a steal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »
I’ve gone to Hamilton which was $200 per ticket for “just okay” seats. Wicked for $175 for great seats. The local football team (Seahawks) tickets are $175 for the very top row of the very top section.

Comparatively, I’d say SDCC is a steal for literally days of things to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer