Author Topic: Are you attending SDCC 2023?  (Read 9821 times)

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
Are you attending SDCC 2023?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2023, 11:07:16 PM »
Haven’t been since 2019, so definitely looking forward to going this year. I’m definitely going to be rusty at exclusive drops, event announcements, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: Are you attending SDCC 2023?
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Haven’t been since 2019, so definitely looking forward to going this year. I’m definitely going to be rusty at exclusive drops, event announcements, etc..

Yay for your return. Time to shake off that rust and enjoy the pre-con get ready fun.  :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 02:03:05 PM »

Offline starlucy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2023, 08:59:18 AM »
It truly is the highlight of my year. I can’t wait for the following year as soon as the current con ends. I’m addicted too and hope to continue to go as long as I am able to!

Offline bigteddy

• Supporter
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »
Absolutely agree!! On last day of con, I’m already looking forward to the next one:)

Offline Cubs23331

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2023, 05:33:36 PM »
That Tuesday following I start wondering Returning Reg, the announcements, Hotelpocalypse, and all the rest of the goodness for the coming year.

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2023, 04:15:14 PM »
I’ll be going again, although I will admit I have been getting worse (fine, call it out of touch if you want) at keeping up with what’s hot in the pop culture zeitgeist.

So for me it’s gradually become more about being there for the general SDCC atmosphere and catching up with con pals, and not because I am hoping any specific license/IP will have a presence. And as a one-time San Diego resident, I just love being back in the city every chance I get.

SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »
I’ll be going again, although I will admit I have been getting worse (fine, call it out of touch if you want) at keeping up with what’s hot in the pop culture zeitgeist.

So for me it’s gradually become more about being there for the general SDCC atmosphere and catching up with con pals, and not because I am hoping any specific license/IP will have a presence. And as a one-time San Diego resident, I just love being back in the city every chance I get.

This is a perfect way to explain how I've been viewing it lately. I sometimes feel like I only went last year to see con friends I hadn't seen in forever and do some shopping. I have a feeling it's going to be similar this year, but that alone makes it worth it. And who knows, maybe something will be announced that I'm absolutely wild about getting into or something.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2023, 06:59:55 PM »

We're going through home renovations, and I spent most of December packing up boxes of collectibles and a crazy amount of posters... and it occurred to me that this year's Con should be less about acquiring "stuff" (books don't count - they're always worth it), and more about panels and people. I'm actually looking forward to going even more this year than last year.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2023, 08:29:03 AM »
This is my first year going. I've always wanted to attend but I honestly didn't have any idea how to go about it. One of my friends goes every year and he clued me in so my husband and I were able to score badges. This past year has been really rough. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and it had metastasized so I've got a really impressive scar on my neck. Then while they were doing scans of my thyroid they found a brain tumor. I am super excited about finally getting to go amd I should be 100% cancer free by then.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »
If all goes well (hotel, flight, cost etc) then I will attend. I want to attend. I haven't been back to San Diego since 2017! And the last time, while it was fun, I was there by myself. The group here was very helpful especially the Hall H line group. I think we had a good team. I met quite a few people and we just chilled while in line. I plan on locating the Hall-H line group again, I think everyone should stop by at least for a break. I really just enjoyed having a place to sit because these are long days and it can get pretty crowded.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2023, 01:26:42 PM »
If all goes well (hotel, flight, cost etc) then I will attend. I want to attend. I haven't been back to San Diego since 2017! And the last time, while it was fun, I was there by myself. The group here was very helpful especially the Hall H line group. I think we had a good team. I met quite a few people and we just chilled while in line. I plan on locating the Hall-H line group again, I think everyone should stop by at least for a break. I really just enjoyed having a place to sit because these are long days and it can get pretty crowded.
100%
I also like going into the Hilton Bayfront & finding a sofa or comfy chair to just hang out in for a bit.  As a pro I can hit up the pro lounge for some R&R, but the Hilton Bayfront has much more comfortable chairs  :P

Offline dianosaurus

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2023, 01:41:56 PM »

So for me it’s gradually become more about being there for the general SDCC atmosphere and catching up with con pals, and not because I am hoping any specific license/IP will have a presence.

This has been pretty much exactly my experience the last few years as well! It's been really low-key since there aren't a ton of MUST SEE things for me. I will say that because I'm not sitting in a Hall H/B20/6BCF line for hours as much, I've ended up popping into smaller panels that I've really really enjoyed since I have the time!

I'm really excited to attend this year though! My friend and I have gone to every SDCC since 2006, but our partners have never been able to go. This year, they can both make it, and we were able to get a Thurs/Sun pass for them to experience all this madness for the first time.

I am SO looking forward to seeing my relatively non-nerdy/fannish fiance get thrown into this chaos lol.

Offline dville

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2023, 03:12:27 PM »
This has been pretty much exactly my experience the last few years as well! It's been really low-key since there aren't a ton of MUST SEE things for me. I will say that because I'm not sitting in a Hall H/B20/6BCF line for hours as much, I've ended up popping into smaller panels that I've really really enjoyed since I have the time!

I'm really excited to attend this year though! My friend and I have gone to every SDCC since 2006, but our partners have never been able to go. This year, they can both make it, and we were able to get a Thurs/Sun pass for them to experience all this madness for the first time.

I am SO looking forward to seeing my relatively non-nerdy/fannish fiance get thrown into this chaos lol.

I am right there with you and the rest.  Can't tell if it is the changes that SDCC has made over the past 7/8 years (including covid, streaming, etc.) or if it's just me being low-key but I have noticed a shift.  I still enjoy going and there will always be something new to do.
If stupidity got us in this mess, then why can't it get us out?

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2023, 09:33:08 PM »
I started this thread back when I wasn't really feeling it for this year. It definitely went slower getting into SDCC mode for this year.

However, my partner was still interested in attending and that got me interested as well. This may be the last year we could attend SDCC for some years given the way things are going, so it would be a shame to miss this one before a longer break.

The hotel lottery is the last thing that is pushing us to confirm attending. Getting MMM for the first time ever via the lottery is great, but the fact that it has a May 1st deadline for full refunds instead of end of month, while annoying, is also giving that extra push to attend. Normally, we wait until getting panel confirmation near end of May. There won't be enough time for that now, but worst case we don't get any panels, we can still attend via our press badges. So consider us confirmed for this year, just don't ask me about flight costs as I'll have to book that later  :D

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2023, 02:10:35 PM »
I just did my semi-regular check of logging into my CCI account and verifying that I still have my badges. And just quadruple-checked my hotel reservation is still in order.

No, I'm not paranoid.