Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127650 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #600 on: January 27, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
back to daily updates from the science team at the white house. starting tomorrow
biden announced today
the first coronavirus update was a bit rocky, it was virtual so wifi signal was a bit problematic.
next up date is Friday
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »
Fauci has said how the booster shots for the new variants will be approved rapidly.  They will only go through Phase 1 clinical trials before being approved for emergency use.  Phase 1 is short.  It's Phase 3 that takes months.  Phase 1 is only about safety, that it won't kill you.

Europe and the WHO are moving away from cloth masks.  In Germany and other countries they are mandating medical masks out in public.  The WHO recommends medical masks for people over 60.  Germany is supplying it's people with the European equivalent of N95s.  As these things go, in a few months we should catch up and have the same recommendation.  Cloth masks were always a better than nothing option.  Now PPE supply has caught up so it's time to use real masks.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #602 on: Today at 03:37:38 AM »

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #602 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »
Fauci has said how the booster shots for the new variants will be approved rapidly.  They will only go through Phase 1 clinical trials before being approved for emergency use.  Phase 1 is short.  It's Phase 3 that takes months.  Phase 1 is only about safety, that it won't kill you.

Europe and the WHO are moving away from cloth masks.  In Germany and other countries they are mandating medical masks out in public.  The WHO recommends medical masks for people over 60.  Germany is supplying it's people with the European equivalent of N95s.  As these things go, in a few months we should catch up and have the same recommendation. Cloth masks were always a better than nothing option. Now PPE supply has caught up so it's time to use real masks.

*Pal = those that are finally recommending better masks, even though it was obvious that many should be using better masks sooner. Again, the 'higher ups' are late to the game regardless of 'supply'.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #603 on: January 28, 2021, 12:17:14 PM »
Riverside County has just opened up a ton of appointments for ages 85 and up. Everything is available.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #604 on: January 28, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »
*Pal = those that are finally recommending better masks, even though it was obvious that many should be using better masks sooner. Again, the 'higher ups' are late to the game regardless of 'supply'.

The "higher ups" knew what they were doing all along.  But there are realities.  10 months ago there wasn't enough PPE for everyone.  There is a big difference between acknowledging that and telling people to cover up the best they can versus telling them that they don't need to wear masks.  That's what we did here in the US.  The top public health officials told people that they didn't need to wear masks.  The press conference I found most laughable was when one of them said something like "there may even be evidence that wearing a mask protects the wearer".  No poop(family friendly site).  Study after study has shown that wearing a masks prevents spread of respiratory illnesses.  It was true 100 years ago, it's true today.  The first thing the Chinese CDC said to everyone including to us was "It's a respiratory illness.  Why aren't you wearing masks?"  Yet here we pretended all this was novel and that mask wearing helping to prevent infection needed to be discovered.

If you take notice, you'll see that many of the "higher ups" wear medical masks under their cloth masks.  So it looks like they are wearing cloth masks but in reality they are wearing more effective surgical masks.  Personally, I haven't been out of the house since March without a N95 on.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #605 on: January 28, 2021, 03:32:40 PM »
The "higher ups" knew what they were doing all along.  But there are realities.  10 months ago there wasn't enough PPE for everyone.  There is a big difference between acknowledging that and telling people to cover up the best they can versus telling them that they don't need to wear masks.  That's what we did here in the US.  The top public health officials told people that they didn't need to wear masks.  The press conference I found most laughable was when one of them said something like "there may even be evidence that wearing a mask protects the wearer".  No poop(family friendly site).  Study after study has shown that wearing a masks prevents spread of respiratory illnesses.  It was true 100 years ago, it's true today.  The first thing the Chinese CDC said to everyone including to us was "It's a respiratory illness.  Why aren't you wearing masks?"  Yet here we pretended all this was novel and that mask wearing helping to prevent infection needed to be discovered.

If you take notice, you'll see that many of the "higher ups" wear medical masks under their cloth masks.  So it looks like they are wearing cloth masks but in reality they are wearing more effective surgical masks.  Personally, I haven't been out of the house since March without a N95 on.

I feel like what they did in the beginning was lie to the public because they did not want us to make a run on the N95s. This came back to bite them in the butt because people don't easily unlearn what they initially learn. I have started wearing an N95 (with valve) underneath a cloth mask.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #606 on: January 28, 2021, 04:47:41 PM »
There is good and bad vaccine news today.  The good news is that there's a new vaccine on the horizon.  It's the first clinical glimpse we have about vaccines and the new variants since the trials are being run in the UK and South Africa.  The Novavax vaccine is 96% effective against the strain dominant in the US.  The bad news is that it's much less effective against the new variants.  It's only 86% effective against the UK variant.  It's only 60% effective against the South African variant among HIV negative people.  It's only 49% effective against a mixed population of HIV + and -.

That's not good.  If the South African, or similar Brazilian, variant become the dominant strain then we are looking at vaccines that are only 60% effective.  I don't see why the BioNTech and Moderna vaccines would fare any better than the Novavax one.  I guess Moderna saw this coming and that's why they are developing a SA variant booster now.

I don't see why the South African variant won't become the dominant strain.  Just as the European strain out competed the Chinese strain.  Just as the UK strain is out competing the European strain.  There's nothing stopping the SA strain from out competing the UK strain.

I feel like what they did in the beginning was lie to the public because they did not want us to make a run on the N95s. This came back to bite them in the butt because people don't easily unlearn what they initially learn. I have started wearing an N95 (with valve) underneath a cloth mask.

IMO, that's exactly what public health did in the US.  They misled.  That's why I don't have Fauci up on a pedestal.  He knew better.  If he didn't, then he should have.  Decades of science have shown that about masks.  Saying that this is a novel virus so we don't know doesn't cut it.  It's a respiratory illness like many others.  Covid is SARS 2 and like SARS 1, masks are a great way to fight it.  That was all known when they said the general public didn't need to wear masks.

It's good that you are wearing another mask over the valve.  That's what's done in health care when all they can get are industrial masks with a valve.  Since without that second mask over the valve, the mask does little in the way of preventing spread.  I shudder when I see health care professionals wearing masks like P100s.  The are too big to wear another mask over the exhaust valve.  Just today, PM Johnson was at a lab where the tech was wearing a mask with a valve.  In a research lab where preventing cross contamination is paramount, WTH?  I treat people wearing masks with a valve exactly as if they were wearing no mask at all.  I give them a wide berth.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:54:57 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #607 on: January 28, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »
There is good and bad vaccine news today.  The good news is that there's a new vaccine on the horizon.  It's the first clinical glimpse we have about vaccines and the new variants since the trials are being run in the UK and South Africa.  The Novavax vaccine is 96% effective against the strain dominant in the US.  The bad news is that it's much less effective against the new variants.  It's only 86% effective against the UK variant.  It's only 60% effective against the South African variant among HIV negative people.  It's only 49% effective against a mixed population of HIV + and -.

That's not good.  If the South African, or similar Brazilian, variant become the dominant strain then we are looking at vaccines that are only 60% effective.  I don't see why the BioNTech and Moderna vaccines would fare any better than the Novavax one.  I guess Moderna saw this coming and that's why they are developing a SA variant booster now.

I don't see why the South African variant won't become the dominant strain.  Just as the European strain out competed the Chinese strain.  Just as the UK strain is out competing the European strain.  There's nothing stopping the SA strain from out competing the UK strain.

IMO, that's exactly what public health did in the US.  They misled.  That's why I don't have Fauci up on a pedestal.  He knew better.  If he didn't, then he should have.  Decades of science have shown that about masks.  Saying that this is a novel virus so we don't know doesn't cut it.  It's a respiratory illness like many others.  Covid is SARS 2 and like SARS 1, masks are a great way to fight it.  That was all known when they said the general public didn't need to wear masks.

It's good that you are wearing another mask over the valve.  That's what's done in health care when all they can get are industrial masks with a valve.  Since without that second mask over the valve, the mask does little in the way of preventing spread.  I shudder when I see health care professionals wearing masks like P100s.  The are too big to wear another mask over the exhaust valve.  Just today, PM Johnson was at a lab where the tech was wearing a mask with a valve.  In a research lab where preventing cross contamination is paramount, WTH?  I treat people wearing masks with a valve exactly as if they were wearing no mask at all.  I give them a wide berth.

Exactly, they told the "truth," in that they had not studied the effectiveness of the masks against SARS-CoV-2; that part was true because it was a new virus. They misled by making people believe that it meant the masks weren't effective. They should have said that based on other viruses and the fact that it's a respiratory disease, they believe masks are effective but that there are not enough N95 masks, so please use a cloth mask.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #608 on: January 29, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »
J&J released some results today.  They basically confirm Novavax's results on the variants.  It only re-emphasizes the importance of wearing masks.

San Diego has messed up it's vaccination appointment website.  I guess it was too clear and easy to use for a government site.  Now the site makes you jump through hoops that lead you to believe there are available appointments only to say that there really aren't.  Good thing the old links still work to bypass all that.  I hope they don't turn those off.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:00:29 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #609 on: January 29, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
Kaiser is vaccinating 75 and up now.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #610 on: January 29, 2021, 01:19:21 PM »
San Diego has messed up it's vaccination appointment website.  I guess it was too clear and easy to use for a government site.  Now the site makes you jump through hoops that lead you to believe there are available appointments only to say that there really aren't.  Good thing the old links still work to bypass all that.  I hope they don't turn those off.

have you seen appointments pop up at petco using the old site?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #611 on: January 30, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
have you seen appointments pop up at petco using the old site?

No.  No appointments just like through the new site.  It's just much faster to find that out.  I have to keep looking though.  Due to a hospitalization I had to skip an appt for an elderly relative.  Call off the funeral, she lives.  I was literally shopping for funeral packages a week ago when there were all those open appts right before they opened it up to 65 and over.  I'm still kicking myself for not making an appt a week out just in case.  But when you are trying to plan a funeral for someone, setting up a vaccination appt for that same person doesn't come to mind.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #612 on: January 30, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »
No.  No appointments just like through the new site.  It's just much faster to find that out.  I have to keep looking though.  Due to a hospitalization I had to skip an appt for an elderly relative.  Call off the funeral, she lives.  I was literally shopping for funeral packages a week ago when there were all those open appts right before they opened it up to 65 and over.  I'm still kicking myself for not making an appt a week out just in case.  But when you are trying to plan a funeral for someone, setting up a vaccination appt for that same person doesn't come to mind.
i actually did see some appointment at petco on the old site an hr or two ago.
so glad you're not planing/having a funeral!

oh in the continuing saga of fubar'ed Philly

A Scandal Erupts Over Vaccination Startup Led By 22-Year-Old

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 02:26:18 PM by alyssa »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #613 on: January 30, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »
Thanks.  Missed the appts.  Only thing to do is to keep trying.

I saw a story about that 22 year old and his quest to disrupt vaccinations last week.  I'm not sure that something like that at a time like this is the right time to bring in Silicon Valley type tactics.  Anyone that's been in a startup knows that it's messy and prone to failure.  It's one thing when it's a website selling lollipops.  It's another when lives are at stake.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #614 on: January 30, 2021, 04:51:55 PM »
Thanks.  Missed the appts.  Only thing to do is to keep trying.

I saw a story about that 22 year old and his quest to disrupt vaccinations last week.  I'm not sure that something like that at a time like this is the right time to bring in Silicon Valley type tactics.  Anyone that's been in a startup knows that it's messy and prone to failure.  It's one thing when it's a website selling lollipops.  It's another when lives are at stake.

Wow...read that report.  Good grief, Charlie Brown! ???
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia