Author Topic: Wigs.... basic questions  (Read 2870 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Wigs.... basic questions
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
after much back and forth, the simplest solution to my cosplay is a wig even tho the color and style is close to my own.

I'm looking at buying my first ever wig. Never worn or even thought about wigs before. and i'm really not crafty or able to style hair-
I plan on bringing it to my hairdresser to cut/style.

two companies i'm looking at are arda wigs or rockstar wigs.
without revealing my character, there is a strong center part. I'm thinking I will need a lace front? does that make sense?

the hair for my character is shoulder length. These are the wig's i think might work;

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

thoughts? suggestions? remember i'm much more comfortable tearing down my computer & putting it back together then this topic.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Wigs.... basic questions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
I was the crow one year for Halloween and the areas where the wig skull cap part touched my scalp itched like hell.  This is when I had hair and only had a receding  hairline instead of none.

That's all I know about wigs, but hopefully it helps.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:55:26 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »
I would try a lace front before you buy. Get a really cheap one. I bought a lace front wig because everyone was raving about them, but found that the glue you're supposed to use to make them 'stick' never worked on my skin. I just use the 'regular' wigs and wig caps.

Also, wig hair is like Barbie hair - synthetic. The hairdresser may not be able to style it.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
I would try a lace front before you buy. Get a really cheap one. I bought a lace front wig because everyone was raving about them, but found that the glue you're supposed to use to make them 'stick' never worked on my skin. I just use the 'regular' wigs and wig caps.

Also, wig hair is like Barbie hair - synthetic. The hairdresser may not be able to style it.
oddly enough due to my background in theatre I know spirit gum works for me-
that's why i chose to get a wig from one of those two places. their synthetic hair is suppose to be heat tolerant. Plus the hair style is not complicated   ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
I think you have a good plan in place! I have a lace front wig for my GoT Cersei costume - it was my first lace front wig, and I didn't have extensive experience with "standard" wigs prior to wearing it. It did take a few practice runs for me to get the hang of it - but once I did, I didn't regret my purchase! The hair on it is very soft and realistic - so if the synthetic hair on the wigs you are looking at is listed as being heat tolerant, I think they probably have a similar texture to mine, and your hairdresser should be able to cut it without a problem.

Also, as a side note, you may not even need spirit gum to put the lace front on. Mine has little clips on the inside of the cap, and I just use those and bobby pins to set it in place whenever I wear it - so the ones you are looking at might be similar! But of course, different methods work for different people ;)

SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
I just want to put a good word in for Arda wigs. They are so great, and the wigs are wonderful (especially for the price point). You could probably ask them your questions-I hear that they are super helpful also. They set up at Dragon Con each year, and their booth is always busy. I got my Fluttershy wig from them, and I love it. I have worn it multiple times. Their delivery is pretty speedy, too (I believe they use Priority Mail).
Ang

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 03:54:19 PM »
I'm no wig expert, but I'd get the $30 one  :)
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
I'm no wig expert, but I'd get the $30 one  :)

the one i ended up getting is essentially the $30 one but it's lace front & the part is in the correct spot with lace under. It was $69.

I've got 2 appointments with my hair dresser, the first to do my hair & give her the wig, the second a week later to pick the wig up & learn how to put it on.  I asked her if she was familiar with the movie.... she responded with 'my dog's named after one of the main characters" 

she want's pictures... /i really want to cosplay without having my picture taken/