Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 117102 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #435 on: October 06, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

wolfvanhalen I can’t believe I’m having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning. He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift. My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss. I love you so much, Pop.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
This just sucks...this year can't f'n end soon enough.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #437 on: Today at 06:15:43 AM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #437 on: November 08, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
jeopardy Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends. Thank you, Alex.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #438 on: November 08, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #439 on: November 19, 2020, 08:39:00 PM »
comic_con Ann Eisner, widow of Will Eisner, was beloved by the Comic-Con family. Ann used to accompany Will to Comic-Con every year not only to attend the Eisner Awards but to participate in other Convention activities as well. She was Will’s rock and we'll miss her tremendously.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #440 on: November 28, 2020, 11:13:35 PM »

bowingtonmanagement It with great regret and heart - wrenching sadness for us and millions of fans around the world to announce that our dear client DAVE PROWSE M.B.E. passed away yesterday at the age of 85 after a short period of illness. The iconic character of Darth Vader and The Green Cross Code Man.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #441 on: November 29, 2020, 04:22:57 PM »

Bummer; he was a bit older than I thought he was.  I met him years ago at Comic-Con, back when one could wander up to the Lucasfilm booth & any one of the many tables of talent to get a cheap autograph (for the price of the glossy 8x10 pic) w/zero line.  There was literally no one else around when I got his autograph, and he talked a bit about working with George Lucas as a director (Prowse wasn't a huge fan) as well as Stanley Kubrick (I really admired the director and though Prowse only had a very small role in CLOCKWORK ORANGE, he had a bit to say about the infamously meticulous director, not the least of which being, "I was glad I didn't have to worry about delivering any lines").  He said he was very proud to be Darth Vader, and while Chewie may have gotten more screen time over the course of all the films he never regretted his decision of choosing to play Vader when Lucas gave him the choice. 
I always appreciated his impeccable physical acting as Vader, and I'm glad I got to tell Mr. Prowse that in-person.  While I grew up quoting Vader lines in my best (read: poor) James Earl Jones voice, but I ALWAYS thought of David Prowse as THE Darth Vader (though by RETURN OF THE JEDI Vader was played by three different actors, with Hayden Christensen being a 4th in the Special Edition DVD/Blu-ray change).  Oddly, Vader w/a lightsaber in the OT never felt imposing to me (only the fight in EMPIRE, where he's using the Force to fling different props at Luke does Vader truly feel menacing; obviously the scene in ROGUE ONE is a different convo entirely, but I'm talking about the original trilogy), but Vader doing literally everything else does (maybe except dying at the end of JEDI).
I mean, think about it: how many actors/characters can command constant fear, respect, and a huge presence just by walking down a hallway or standing!

RIP David Prowse: actor of one of the most iconic villains in the history of cinema

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #442 on: December 01, 2020, 07:47:00 PM »

Rest in peace Ben Bova – one of the greats of science fiction, both as an author and editor. His passion for science and space exploration shined through his work and captivated so many, earning him an Inkpot in 1985 and a lifelong imprint in the hearts of all his readers.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2020, 07:28:00 PM »
Chuck Yeager, the first person to break the sound barrier, died yesterday at the age of 97.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #444 on: December 10, 2020, 12:18:39 PM »

It is with great sorrow and loss that I must share the sad news that Richard Corben died Dec 2, 2020 following heart surgery. He will be missed tremendously by his family, his friends, and his fans.

Richard was very appreciative of the love for his art that was shown by you, his fans. Your support over the decades meant a great deal to him. He tried to repay your support by working diligently on each piece of art going out to you. Although Richard has left us, his work will live on and his memory will live always in our hearts.

I will continue to conduct sales of Richard’s art through the Corben Studios website at corbencomicart.com. I will also be managing the ongoing process of publishing his work internationally. Please give me and my family a little time to collect ourselves and we’ll get back with you in 2021.

Dona Corben

heavymetal Richard Corben has died at the age of 80. Corben was an artist without equal in the graphic storytelling world, and a crucial presence in Heavy Metal from our first issue up through the present day. The art of science fiction, fantasy and horror has lost a titan.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #445 on: December 11, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

Corben maybe never did iconic work on the massively popular superhero comics, but DAMN was he an amazing artist who did iconic work on stuff like Heavy Metal and album covers.  I mean, he made freaking Meatloaf look metal as HELL with his "Bat Out Of Hell" album cover!!

RIP Richard Corben

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #446 on: December 14, 2020, 05:04:02 PM »
Corben maybe never did iconic work on the massively popular superhero comics, but DAMN was he an amazing artist who did iconic work on stuff like Heavy Metal and album covers.  I mean, he made freaking Meatloaf look metal as HELL with his "Bat Out Of Hell" album cover!!

RIP Richard Corben

Was going back through his Creepy/Eerie work on this cold, rainy weekend. The way he did textures was amazing and so distinctive, and for a lot of his work he did everything: writing, pencils, inks and lettering. There was a Hulk miniseries he drew a while back that is worth tracking down if you can. The MCU has a few direct references to it.

Also R.I.P. Charley Pride, a frequent voice on the record player when I was a kid.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #447 on: December 17, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
RIP Jeremy Bulloch, original 'man behind the mask' Boba Fett.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I was fortunate enough to meet him many years ago at Comic-Con, again back when one could wander up to the Lucasfilm booth & any one of the many tables of talent to get a cheap autograph (for the price of the glossy 8x10 pic) w/zero line.  He was incredibly nice and gracious at my own praise of his work and he joked that at least he also got to play an Imperial officer so the world could see his face for a few moments.  Another actor who was able to command presence just by standing and walking, and at least he lived long enough to see Boba Fett become the BAMF all of us in grade school when EMPIRE first dropped imagined Fett was.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #448 on: February 02, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 12:32:37 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #449 on: May 01, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »
Olympia Dukakis passed away.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019